Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Discussion and News All Teams

Re: Trade Discussion and News All Teams

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Release Matt Purke

By Steve Adams [November 14, 2014 at 9:34am CST]

The Nationals have released left-hander Matt Purke, according to the team’s transactions page. The 24-year-old Purke, who had been on the 40-man roster, underwent Tommy John surgery in late May.

Purke was a high-profile acquisition by the Nats in the 2011 draft, as he received a Major League deal and a total of $4.15MM ($2.75MM of which was in the form of a signing bonus) in the third round. The 6’4″, 215-pound southpaw was originally selected by the Ranges with the No. 14 overall pick in 2009, but he elected to attend college at TCU instead. Injuries are nothing new for Purke, as they were the main factor for his slide from the first round to the third round, although those concerns were pertaining to his shoulder.

Purke has totaled just 136 2/3 innings since being drafted in 2011, posting an even 5.00 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9. He did pitch well in 90 innings in 2012, posting a 3.80 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9, although his best work came at Class A Hagerstown. Baseball America ranked him 11th among Nats prospect a year ago at this time, noting that he’d lost some life on his fastball but still had a changeup that projected as above-average to plus and that he his floor was a big league reliever if he could stay healthy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does Purke have any options left? Would he be worth signing and putting on the DL?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd rather not pay $5 Million to Simon to watch him turn into a pumpkin. Save some cash and add a reliever and a cheap bench option. If they could add Skippy to the mix, that deal would free $5 Million to put toward a starting LF option. Deal off or non-tender Heisey and that would be enough to pay for a year of Aoki (or Rios if they must.)
    Simon is highly likely to be in the Reds' rotation next year. He's a reasonably priced starter. He won 15 games despite jumping up his innings significantly. His K rate of 5.82 wasn't high, which obviously irritates half this board. But he has a low walk rate and a good ground ball rate.

Because of these numbers he is somewhat defense dependent, as are some other Reds starters. But I see no reason for Simon to turn into a pumpkin if he remains healthy.

The pressing issues are the bigger money pitchers who also are younger and have more trade value. Those three pitchers present an immediate trade/keep question. Likely the Reds will look to trade Laths or Leake, with Simon staying in the rotation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
    By Steve Adams [November 14, 2014 at 2:32pm CST]
    The Pirates announced that they have signed right-hander A.J. Burnett to a one-year deal. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Frontline Athlete Management client will receive an $8.5MM guarantee (Twitter link).

Burnett, who turns 38 in January, spent the 2012-13 seasons with the Pirates and revitalized his career in black and gold while helping the Bucs to end a historic playoff drought. However, the Pirates declined to make him a qualifying offer following that season and didn’t feel they were able to offer him a salary commensurate with his market value, which proved to be true, as he signed a one-year, $16MM contract with the Phillies. That contract contained a mutual option that vested as a player option, but Burnett turned down a guaranteed $12.75MM from the Phils to take $4.25MM less and return to Pittsburgh — a team and environment of which he spoke fondly even after his departure.

After posting a combined 3.41 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 393 1/3 innings as a Pirate, Burnett struggled in Philadelphia, posting a 4.59 ERA in 213 2/3 innings. Burnett’s walk rate spiked while his ground-ball and strikeout rates dipped, resulting in the inflated ERA and an NL-worst 18 losses (though the Phillies’ poor team performance obviously impacted that last number). Burnett pitched the entire season with a hernia that required offseason surgery — another likely factor in his 2014 struggles.
    I hope he's the NYY Burnett.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Diamondbacks To Acquire Jeremy Hellickson

By Jeff Todd [November 14, 2014 at 8:52pm CST]

9:01pm: Shortstop Andrew Velazquez is the other piece heading to the Rays, tweets Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

8:54pm: Two prospects will go to the Rays in the deal, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

8:52pm: The Diamondbacks have reached a deal to acquire starter Jeremy Hellickson from the Rays, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports on Twitter. Outfielder Justin Williams is at least part of the return for Tampa, Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweets. Cotillo reported moments ago that a deal was close.

The swap represents perhaps the first significant move of the tenure of both principle baseball decisionmakers involved: GM Dave Stewart of the D’backs and president of baseball operations Matt Silverman of Tampa. For Stewart, Hellickson represents the arm (or, perhaps, one of the arms) that he has repeatedly said was the focus of the offseason.

Entering his age-28 campaign, Hellickson has seen his value drop after a rough couple of campaigns. First, there is the fact that Hellickson has pitched to a 5.00 ERA in 237 2/3 innings over 2013-14. Then, there’s the fact that he only threw 63 2/3 of those frames last year, after undergoing an elbow cleanup procedure just before the open of camp.

Hellickson took home the 2011 AL Rookie of the Year award, but did so in spite of ERA estimators that valued him more as a back-of-the-rotation innings eater.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I hope he's the NYY Burnett.
    I'd be fine if he's the Burnett he was this season.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

mdccclxix (11-15-2014)

Cubs acquire Braves 26 year old 2B Tommy La Stella for RHP Arodys Vizcaino. This is actually a pretty big move, and signals the Cubs will almost assuredly move one of their young middle infielders. While I'm certainly not holding my breath, I really hope the Reds make a play, especially if one of the big 3 (Castro, Russell, Baez) could be had for Leake plus.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Cubs acquire Braves 26 year old 2B Tommy La Stella for RHP Arodys Vizcaino. This is actually a pretty big move, and signals the Cubs will almost assuredly move one of their young middle infielders. While I'm certainly not holding my breath, I really hope the Reds make a play, especially if one of the big 3 (Castro, Russell, Baez) could be had for Leake plus.
    who is going to play 2B for the Braves next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    who is going to play 2B for the Braves next year?
    Brandon Phillips
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

mth123 (11-16-2014)

Hmmm....I seem to remember a second baseman from the Atlanta area who was rumored to be on the trading block last off season.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Brandon Phillips

That's the name I was trying to come up with.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-16-2014)

Leake and Phillips for Both Uptons and a reliever. Then BJ to the Orioles for Ubaldo Jimenez.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Matt Purke is a stiff. he's been an injury risk since college and clearly nothing has changed. minor league spring training invite type at best.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

If LaStella had any real future as a starting 2B, Atlanta would have kept him, since he was the best option they had. He's a nice backup, but I don't think his acquisition will have any affect on the Cubs plans for their other infield prospects.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If LaStella had any real future as a starting 2B, Atlanta would have kept him, since he was the best option they had. He's a nice backup, but I don't think his acquisition will have any affect on the Cubs plans for their other infield prospects.
    Disagree at least on how the Cubs see it. They wouldn't have traded Vizcaino for a backup middle infielder, especially given how pitching starved they are. I bet Castro is dealt before the 1st of the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Brandon Phillips and Alfredo Simon for Justin Upton.

Who says no?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?