Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gift ideas....help?

Christmas gift ideas....help?

I am struggling to come up with a good idea as to what I would like for Christmas this year in the $100-200 range. I'd prefer it to be something that I wouldn't use solely for work purposes, or at least for most work purposes, but that seems to be all that I can come up with. So I'm reaching out to you guys to see if you can come up with anything to help me out. I like tech stuff, but I also have quite a bit of it. I'm a photographer and enjoy new gear there, but also have plenty of stuff so it's harder to find the right thing that I want (other than a new bag - which is tough to find since I have a 17" laptop and hardly anyone makes them that big anymore, so people aren't making bags that big anymore).

Throw some ideas at me. Maybe we can figure out how to make my collection of things a little bit cooler.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: Christmas gift ideas....help?

Is this for a gift to yourself? Just curious. I guess in our particular family Christmas culture, we don't really specify what we want as our gift; it is just a surprise under the tree.

Anyway, I don't have any ideas for you right now, but I'll think on it. I think maybe I'd suggest just storying $200 away toward an Apple Watch.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Is this for a gift to yourself? Just curious. I guess in our particular family Christmas culture, we don't really specify what we want as our gift; it is just a surprise under the tree.

Anyway, I don't have any ideas for you right now, but I'll think on it. I think maybe I'd suggest just storying $200 away toward an Apple Watch.
    IT is a gift for myself, from someone else. But basically we pick out what we want and the other person buys it.

I'd wear a sundial on my wrist before I'd give Apple money though. One day I will probably get a smart watch, but it's going to be a few generations from now. Just not sure they are "there" yet.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    IT is a gift for myself, from someone else. But basically we pick out what we want and the other person buys it.

I'd wear a sundial on my wrist before I'd give Apple money though. One day I will probably get a smart watch, but it's going to be a few generations from now. Just not sure they are "there" yet.
    Ha! Very efficient system you've got there. We've always had a secrecy policy. Just interesting to hear about other customs.

Yeah, you are probably right about the smart watch still being a ways away. But man. Those things are cool already.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Ha! Very efficient system you've got there. We've always had a secrecy policy. Just interesting to hear about other customs.

Yeah, you are probably right about the smart watch still being a ways away. But man. Those things are cool already.
    We gave up on the whole secrecy thing when we became adults. Let's just get exactly what we want and everyone wins lol.

The smart watches seem nice, but I just don't know on them yet. I've got a Galaxy Note 4 as a phone and I still want a bigger phone. I'm not sure about handling a watch as a real device at this point.

I am having the same issue Doug, not only Christmas, but my anniversary is next week as well. My wife is hounding me asking what I want for both, and I cant come up with one single idea. I am just at that point in life that if I want/need something during the year, I get it or its too expensive and is not a gift kind of item. I didn't open this thread to add ideas, was hoping to read some that I might like as well. I am not a techie guy, or jewelry, or much of anything like that.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

How about a photography or photo editing course taught by a local pro?

For example this local photographer put on a day long course a couple of years back at his studio.
    http://www.petermillerphotography.co...=10000&s=0&p=6

if you have somebody local with a studio maybe they have classes coming up.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Doug, and anyone else, this is a pretty great time of year for gift guides, tons to go through at this link:

http://ask.metafilter.com/272283/Guide-to-Gift-Guides

Here's an example from that link, with dozens and dozens of "best [...] books of 2014" style lists:

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/...he_sevent.html
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I am having the same issue Doug, not only Christmas, but my anniversary is next week as well. My wife is hounding me asking what I want for both, and I cant come up with one single idea. I am just at that point in life that if I want/need something during the year, I get it or its too expensive and is not a gift kind of item. I didn't open this thread to add ideas, was hoping to read some that I might like as well. I am not a techie guy, or jewelry, or much of anything like that.
    That seems to be much of the way things go for adults. I will usually buy something if I want/need it. I don't often spend $75+ on myself though unless it's a major thing, and then I will spend significantly more. It's strange for me to buy something in that $100-$500 range thing unless it's for work or a television. I wind up going the cheap route on something that would fall in that range or just find a way to go without it.

I thought about getting a new radio system for my car, which currently has a tape deck (It's a 2002). I was looking at this one, and adding a back up camera to it for $15. I'd have to spend another $10 on the mounting thing, so we are looking at like $175. I keep talking myself out of it because realistically my phone can do everything except the backup camera part of that set up and it's mounted on the dash already. The only benefit would be bluetooth calling/answering and it would look a lot nicer.

I also thought about getting a Wacom tablet for photo editing. I've got a case of carpel tunnel in my right wrist as it is, so anything that can help isn't a bad idea, but I'm just not sure it's worth spending $175 on, even though it's not my money to be spending. I'm just not sure I'd use it enough as I usually don't do too much editing to my photos other than a few quick changes.

I've outgrown my current camera bag. Depending on where I'm going and what I'm shooting I need to unload and reload my bag with the stuff for that day. Something just a little bit bigger would fit everything though. The biggest problem is that I have a 17 inch laptop that I also want to be able to carry with me, but most camera/laptop bags aren't made for laptops that big anymore. So it's been tough to find one that is big enough to hold the laptop as well as the camera gear. I prefer the backpack style, it is just easier to carry, though a Pelican rolling case has been running through my mind.

I've also been looking at microphones for my camera(s) that I can use to get better audio when I do interviews. Those start out around $100 though and it's another one of those things where I'm just not sure it's worth the money when I can usually just get a guy in a room where it's quiet enough that there isn't too much of an audio problem.

If you haven't noticed, I like to talk myself out of things.

My back up plan is to just have them get me a gift card to a printing company that I use so I can get some of my photos printed up and hang some new work on my walls. I print 16x20's of my favorite shots and a decent paper for those, with no framing are about $25-30 depending on exactly what you get. So that would be something that I would get plenty of use from, but isn't something that I would probably use right away either.

Instead of things or stuff, what about lessons? Can be something you already do, but want to do better. Or it's something new to try. Can be done solo, or with your life mate. The list is endless: golf lessons, tennis lessons, sessions with a trainer, jiu jitsu lessons, dance lessons, music lessons, foreign language lessons, cooking classes, a woodworking class, etc etc etc.

For a different slant..... I've gotten to the age where things don't interest me much any more. So my kids buy me tickets to various events.... Concerts, sports, plays, musicals, festivals, etc etc. I like to go places.

Pay attention to the open sky

Every year I get a call from my mom, demanding a list of the things we want; me, my wife and my kids. Then she buys the cheapest alternatives to those items that she can find.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am struggling to come up with a good idea as to what I would like for Christmas this year in the $100-200 range. I'd prefer it to be something that I wouldn't use solely for work purposes, or at least for most work purposes, but that seems to be all that I can come up with. So I'm reaching out to you guys to see if you can come up with anything to help me out. I like tech stuff, but I also have quite a bit of it. I'm a photographer and enjoy new gear there, but also have plenty of stuff so it's harder to find the right thing that I want (other than a new bag - which is tough to find since I have a 17" laptop and hardly anyone makes them that big anymore, so people aren't making bags that big anymore).

Throw some ideas at me. Maybe we can figure out how to make my collection of things a little bit cooler.
    Here ya' go:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...%20Ads-_-34295

My wife has a Canon Selphy printer and loves it. It's not going to print out large photos, but it's portable so you can take it on the road with ya'. They sell paper/ink carts (about $30-$35) at you local Best Buy, etc. or Amazon.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Here ya' go:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...%20Ads-_-34295

My wife has a Canon Selphy printer and loves it. It's not going to print out large photos, but it's portable so you can take it on the road with ya'. They sell paper/ink carts (about $30-$35) at you local Best Buy, etc. or Amazon.
    If I were actually allowed to sell photos (from the baseball games), this would be a great idea. Unfortunately, MiLB will not allow that (it's a long and frustrating story).

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

17. Likes:

KittyDuran (12-03-2014), RedTeamGo! (12-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?