Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Alfredo Simon to the Tigers

Re: Alfredo Simon to the Tigers

The legal team for new Detroit Tigers pitcher Alfredo Simon has accused the woman suing him for $15 million with providing vastly different accounts of an alleged sexual assault — one to a police detective and the other in her civil lawsuit.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/ml...imon/20499607/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for the update link, WOY.
    If the below is true, she's going to have a tough time winning any judgement

In the civil suit, the woman — identified in court documents by the pseudonym Jane Doe — said she was "visibly intoxicated" and "therefore incapable of consenting to any sexual contact." She also contended that Simon "abruptly changed his behavior from a romantic encounter into a terrifying physical attack."

In their motion, Simon's lawyers said the woman, during a 30-minute interview with a detective, said that she was "pretty intoxicated" but knew "what was going on." Simon's lawyers included a text from the woman to her roommate at 2:22 a.m. in which she wrote "I'm gonna" have sex with "the baseball player."
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Thanks for the update link, WOY.
    If the below is true, she's going to have a tough time winning any judgement
    Will she? I will be honest and say that I have not clicked the link to read this story, only what you quoted. But I did read about the case when it was first hitting the press. Having sex and what she reports to have happened, while some may consider the same thing, are not the same thing. I don't want to go further into it because it gets graphic, but if you haven't read the account of what she says happened, you may want to.

Nothing in what Redread quoted means a rape couldn't have happened.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

dougdirt (12-17-2014),nmculbreth (12-17-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

From this standpoint, I'm glad Alfredo Simon is someone else's problem now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-17-2014),kbrake (12-17-2014),nmculbreth (12-17-2014),Old school 1983 (12-18-2014),RedlegJake (12-18-2014),Tom Servo (12-17-2014),Trajinous (12-17-2014)

I still can't believe the Tigers gave us a MLB-ready SS for Simon... Seriously, kudos Walt!

10. Likes:

kbrake (12-17-2014),nmculbreth (12-17-2014),RedTeamGo! (12-17-2014),Tom Servo (12-17-2014),villain612 (12-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Will she? I will be honest and say that I have not clicked the link to read this story, only what you quoted. But I did read about the case when it was first hitting the press. Having sex and what she reports to have happened, while some may consider the same thing, are not the same thing. I don't want to go further into it because it gets graphic, but if you haven't read the account of what she says happened, you may want to.
    Ok, I am just going to drop the topic .. whoever else replies too.
    The Matt Latos thread turned into a tatto debate, I Don't want this thread derailed too. My apologies for continuing the tangent. This whole topic caused a lot of bad feelings last time.. People can read the article and make their own judgments.. Chances are, no one's mind will be changed anyhow...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nothing in what Redread quoted means a rape couldn't have happened.
    Guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Guilty until proven innocent.
    No one has called Big Pasta a rapist, just that there's nothing that's public knowledge about this case that says it's impossible.

14. Likes:

kbrake (12-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok, I am just going to drop the topic .. whoever else replies too.
    The Matt Latos thread turned into a tatto debate, I Don't want this thread derailed too. My apologies for continuing the tangent. This whole topic caused a lot of bad feelings last time.. People can read the article and make their own judgments.. Chances are, no one's mind will be changed anyhow...
    I agree that we don't want to derail this thread either. It was interesting to me that I personally totally forgot all about this. It wasn't until a random trade assessment til someone wrote about "off-the-field issues". I think it's mildly relevant to baseball since this could affect Simon's playing time. Not only did the Reds get rid of a starting rotation spot headache, they also shed themselves of the off-the-field headache and see the Reds as much better off.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Given the text to the roommate, that her first recollection was being on top of him, and she couldn't even remember if she told him to stop, it's small wonder that the DA declined to prosecute.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

17. Likes:

REDREAD (12-17-2014)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Given the text to the roommate, that her first recollection was being on top of him, and she couldn't even remember if she told him to stop, it's small wonder that the DA declined to prosecute.
    That could be some smoke that leads to fire. However, a) consent can be rescinded at any time, b) planning to have sex with someone isn't consent for EVERYTHING that could be considered sexual, and c) details can get blurry when you are being assaulted. If things get weird or a particular plane or boundary is crossed, a man or a woman can stop having sex and their partner would have to stop. It's not an unstoppable train ride that you have to wait until you get to your final destination to unboard. If I were being attacked, I probably wouldn't have the best memory of the exact details, timeline, and steps in perfect order. Sadly, a part of me thinks that that text is enough for some people to affirm their notion that "she wanted it" and got what she asked for when she introduced 'illicit, immoral' sex into her life.

19. Likes:

nmculbreth (12-17-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    That could be some smoke that leads to fire. However, a) consent can be rescinded at any time, b) planning to have sex with someone isn't consent for EVERYTHING that could be considered sexual, and c) details can get blurry when you are being assaulted. If things get weird or a particular plane or boundary is crossed, a man or a woman can stop having sex and their partner would have to stop. It's not an unstoppable train ride that you have to wait until you get to your final destination to unboard. If I were being attacked, I probably wouldn't have the best memory of the exact details, timeline, and steps in perfect order. Sadly, a part of me thinks that that text is enough for some people to affirm their notion that "she wanted it" and got what she asked for when she introduced 'illicit, immoral' sex into her life.
    Agreed, and her statements actually lead me to believe that she isn't fabricating things entirely.

But how do you determine the extent her memory was impaired by her inebriation (as opposed to an attack)?
    Last edited by malcontent; 12-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

They call me "chef"

Yeah. How do you even begin to quantify those things? Some things are just unknowable balls of blurred boundaries and trauma and you just hope it's not happening to you or your job to sort it out definitively.

22. Likes:

Crumbley (12-17-2014)

Well let's just hope is that somebody's "unknowable balls of blurred boundaries" doesn't end up costing Simon $15 million.

Turn Off Ads?