Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Mat Latos to the Marlins

Re: Rumor: Latos to Marlins

The Latos return is underwhelming but it does two very important things, removes estimated $8 million from Lato's arbitration and gives us 6-years control of a 24-yr old MLB starter. We have to keep in mind that the Marlins are getting 1-year of Latos after a injury plagued season. So the Red's sold low but I'm glad they kept Leake and Cueto. At first I was bummed cause I was sure Latos would haul and good OF but we traded 1 year control for 6. That helps alot in a questionable pitching future for Cincy.

2. Likes:

OGB (12-11-2014),REDREAD (12-11-2014),SirFelixCat (12-11-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Gutted. Now we're stuck praying Cingrani discovers how to be healthy and likely playing the 5th Starter Shuffle all season.
    Of course we could always go the route I suggested. Cueto, Homer, Chapman, Leake, Iglasias with Cingrani in the pen and Jumbo closing. We do have other possible options for 5th starters outside of Iglasias & Cingrani. Axelrod, Corcino, Holmberg, as well as some of the kids getting a shot.

One way or another, somebody was getting moved. Since the beginning, I was wanting to see us extend Cueto and Leake. Simon was not really in my plans, the fact that Walt got what he did for that mirage is amazing.

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-11-2014)

Gutted is a strong word. Simon was an easy guy to replace, last year was a bonafide defense dependent mirage.

Latos or Leake or Cueto (or some combo) was leaving after this year anyways. They had to pick someone to go... so the rotation was either being "gutted" this year for some assets, or gutted next year for a comp pick.

They obviously like DeScalfini, and if he can be a rotation member off the bat, then this will look like an Oakland A's kind of move. I don't know enough about DeScalfini to make a strong argument either way... they obviously like him a lot, and they aren't the only ones who do.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-11-2014),Brutus (12-11-2014),cincyinco (12-11-2014),Edd Roush (12-11-2014),OGB (12-11-2014),RedlegJake (12-11-2014),REDREAD (12-11-2014),villain612 (12-11-2014),westofyou (12-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I think every team in the Bigs do the 5th Starter shuffle. I don't see what the issue is.
    It goes back to the inherit contradiction of Reds fans complaining about how much money the Reds have/potentially have tied up in the rotation while balking at the idea of having any question marks or uncertainties in the rotation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

OGB (12-11-2014),REDREAD (12-11-2014),villain612 (12-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I'll admit I don't know a ton about DeSclafani but I'm as unimpressed by this deal as I was impressed by the Simon deal. Hopefully DeSclafani pans out but I'd feel a heck of a lot better if they'd have gotten Heaney as the headliner instead.
    Heaney is now an Angel, after the Dodgers flipped him for Howie Kendrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Heaney is now an Angel, after the Dodgers flipped him for Howie Kendrick.
    I know, I'm just saying that I'd have felt better about the deal if the Reds would have gotten Heaney (or another prospect of his pedigree) instead of DeSclafani.

Re: Mat Latos to the Marlins

The is plenty of depth for the rotation. Between all of the prospects, I think the 4 and 5 starters will be covered. The extra money saved should, and hopefully will, shore up the big league club. I like these deals. I think they put the Reds in s good spot. By the deadline next year, there ought to be more definition on which pitching prospects are worth keeping and which ones could fetch big league help too.

13. Likes:

RedlegJake (12-11-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It goes back to the inherit contradiction of Reds fans complaining about how much money the Reds have/potentially have tied up in the rotation while balking at the idea of having any question marks or uncertainties in the rotation.
    I lived through a decade of pitching uncertainty -- where we were assured the next kid out of Louisville was the real deal or a great thing. I enjoyed "no pitching uncertainty" tremendously, and I'm hating the idea of watching kid after kid flame out as the team tries to discover what to do after Cueto and/or Leake moves on next year.

We're off to a rousing start already as "Can't Miss Prospect" Cingrani and morphed into "Can't Stay Healthy" Cingrani. I eagerly await the next great white hype down the road.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    The Latos return is underwhelming but it does two very important things, removes estimated $8 million from Lato's arbitration and gives us 6-years control of a 24-yr old MLB starter. We have to keep in mind that the Marlins are getting 1-year of Latos after a injury plagued season. So the Red's sold low but I'm glad they kept Leake and Cueto. At first I was bummed cause I was sure Latos would haul and good OF but we traded 1 year control for 6. That helps alot in a questionable pitching future for Cincy.
    I couldn't agree more. Payroll flexibility is the #1 priority at the moment. Walt said as much at the beginning of the meetings. Mission accomplished. Now the other shoe will drop.

Two good trades today. I was fearful that the Reds were sitting on their hands. Looks like they were only sitting on one hand!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

DeSclafani - rotation-ready starter to fill-in early
    Crawford - higher quality arm but a year or two down the road
    Suarez - reserve for BP and possibility a push for Cozart

*************************WAG of the day**************************
    Wallach -Develops a year of so, then takes over behind the plate and Mez is your LF

I'm guessing we're looking at Morse or Aoki in LF, but hoping for Fowler

If Cueto isn't signed after that blood-letting this ain't over yet. I mean you wouldn't keep him for the season with Simon & Latos gone. Would not shock me in the least to see the sign Leake either
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (12-11-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (12-11-2014)

Who ever said Cingrani was a can't miss prospect?

19. Likes:

cincyinco (12-11-2014),Donder (12-11-2014),RedsfaninMT (12-11-2014)

I'm pretty sure this video will make you feel better about Desclafani. Go to about the 1:50 mark.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/2627167...-afl/?c_id=mlb

21. Likes:

lollipopcurve (12-11-2014),OGB (12-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I lived through a decade of pitching uncertainty -- where we were assured the next kid out of Louisville was the real deal or a great thing. I enjoyed "no pitching uncertainty" tremendously, and I'm hating the idea of watching kid after kid flame out as the team tries to discover what to do after Cueto and/or Leake moves on next year.

We're off to a rousing start already as "Can't Miss Prospect" Cingrani and morphed into "Can't Stay Healthy" Cingrani. I eagerly await the next great white hype down the road.
    I tend to agree! Plus I personally wanted to keep Latos long term over everyone on our current staff Cueto included. Additionally why trade a guy when his value is low? Could have dealt him at the deadline....just not fond of dealing Mat.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

23. Likes:

Old NDN (12-11-2014)

From a talent perspective, I'll give the trade a C. But from a money one, I'll give it an A.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-11-2014),KittyDuran (12-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Accumulating quite a stock of legit pitching prospects in the high minors. Could see two or three packaged in another deal for somebody like a Marlon Byrd or maybe my top choice, Dexter Fowler.

Descalfani, Holmberg, Iglecias, Moscot, Corcino, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Garrett, Travieso, Crawford, Wright, Romano, Lively, Guillon, Contreras, Howard, might even include Axelrod. I probably forgot a couple. Can surely afford to deal a couple.
    Either they will trade prospects for veterans, or go free agency. But folks shouldn't look at today's trades as stand alone.

As has been said the number one asset they acquired was financial flexibility. I estimate a savings of over $25 million for next year with the departures of Heisey, Brox, Ondrusek, Latos and Simon.

They have work to do, but now comes the fun part, the additions.

As I've said elsewhere, Walt had a really tough job to do and so far he has my compliments. They are now in good position to add a LFer, a reliever, maybe a stopgap starter, another bench player -- or some of these.

I'm very happy where this off-season stands, hope the rest of the job is done well.

27. Likes:

boognish (12-11-2014),HeatherC1212 (12-11-2014),REDREAD (12-11-2014),SirFelixCat (12-11-2014)

Turn Off Ads?