Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How The Reds Quietly Won At The Winter Meetings

How The Reds Quietly Won At The Winter Meetings

If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (12-18-2014),CrackerJack (12-18-2014),CrosleyField (12-18-2014),HeatherC1212 (12-18-2014),klw (12-17-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (12-17-2014),REDREAD (12-18-2014),redsmetz (12-18-2014),WrongVerb (12-17-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How The Reds Quietly Won At The Winter Meetings

Yes, I am not sure if we "Won" compared to the other teams, but the Reds did darn good.
    Shed salary, added 4 young players, 2 of which are ML ready. And one of those ML ready guys is a SS that had minor league numbers approximating Didi.
    Can't really ask for more than that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

They shed contracts, which is what they set out to do. They got some inexpensive middling talent. So not bad, I suppose.

Nevertheless, I dislike the notion that these deals represent "winning" anything (even the metaphorical notion of winning and losing trades/offseasons is kind of ridiculous). This team is still pretty bad. Just less expensive.

6. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (12-20-2014),Crumbley (12-18-2014),Mario-Rijo (12-30-2014),nmculbreth (12-18-2014),redsfanmia (12-18-2014),Todd Gack (12-18-2014)

They have won nothing unless they address the gaping holes in the roster. I might buy in if they can successfully address LF, a 4th OF and the bullpen.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I am not sure if we "Won" compared to the other teams, but the Reds did darn good.
    Shed salary, added 4 young players, 2 of which are ML ready. And one of those ML ready guys is a SS that had minor league numbers approximating Didi.
    Can't really ask for more than that.
    if anything detroit media thinks they over paid for simon.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They shed contracts, which is what they set out to do. They got some inexpensive middling talent. So not bad, I suppose.

Nevertheless, I dislike the notion that these deals represent "winning" anything (even the metaphorical notion of winning and losing trades/offseasons is kind of ridiculous). This team is still pretty bad. Just less expensive.
    If the premise was that this team is "pretty bad", then the Simon and Latos trades look even better, IMO. Why tie up money in having those guys for one more year if the team is bad?

I know you weren't expecting much for Simon (no one was). I think some people were disappointed with what Latos returned, but the guy still is hurt.

Honestly, if Descalso becomes a solid #5 starter or a middle reliever as valuable as Simon was, we did ok on the Latos trade. If Latos is healthy, the Marlins probably "win", but that doesn't necessarily mean the Reds lose.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    if anything detroit media thinks they over paid for simon.
    Yep. Seems like a great chance Suarez at bare minimum can be the Cozart for the next few years. Cozart is going to start getting expensive eventually, just due to service time.
    Great fit for the Reds. How long have we craved a young SS with some upside. I doubt Suarez becomes an allstar, but the Reds need young guys like him to be able to pay the star players.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I vehemently disagree that this team is bad. 2013 and 2014 were practically the same team, the only difference were the injuries sustained during 2014. This is a playoff team if healthy.

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-18-2014),kbrake (12-18-2014),Old school 1983 (12-18-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (12-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I vehemently disagree that this team is bad. 2013 and 2014 were practically the same team, the only difference were the injuries sustained during 2014. This is a playoff team if healthy.
    So I guess the goal is to be the 2013 team which collapsed down the stretch and lost badly in the wild card game with the owner publicly leaving the ballpark and the manager being fired.

I agree that the Reds are not "bad." The Reds are pretty good, if healthy.

But the goal shouldn't be pretty good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-18-2014 at 02:13 PM.

16. Likes:

joshua (12-19-2014),Old school 1983 (12-18-2014),Revering4Blue (12-18-2014),WrongVerb (12-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Different people have different goals. I am not a fan of fan of the A's blowing themselves up this offseason too.
    I would be furious if the Reds did that.
    And you could say the A's were only "pretty good".

1999 was one of my favorite seasons with the Reds, and they didn't even make the playoffs.
    The were just a pretty good team also.

Not saying you are wrong, but different people want different things out of the Reds.
    The winter trades help keep the Reds interesting. I do hope more moves are coming, but even if there is no LF this year, it's a team worth watching.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So I guess the goal is to be the 2013 team which collapsed down the stretch and lost badly in the wild card game with the owner publicly leaving the ballpark and the manager being fired.

I agree that the Reds are not "bad." The Reds are pretty good, if healthy.

With how the playoffs go, the goal should be to be pretty good. Get to the playoffs and hope the ball rolls your way.

The Cincinnati Reds just can't be the Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox and just spend more money than everyone else. That's not realistic. So for the Cincinnati Reds the goal should be to be pretty good every year and hope you catch the bounces in the playoffs. I have to wonder, and not specifically towards you KC, but in general, if the Reds had won a playoff series but still not have reached the World Series over the last few years, if people would have a slightly different outlook on reaching the playoffs as being a goal. There'd be something they could look back on as playoffs being successful rather than a total and complete embarrassment given how things have gone in two of the three trips.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 12-18-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

19. Likes:

BillDoran (12-18-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (12-18-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Agreed. I don't get the "woe is me" crowd around here.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-18-2014),kbrake (12-18-2014),villain612 (12-18-2014)

Goal should be to win the division and avoid the play in game but ultimately, just getting to the playoffs is most important.

In the last 15 years, Cincinnati has made the playoffs a total of 3 times. They haven't won a title under Walt, but the losing stench of the lost decade is over.

Take a look at the Cardinals from the early 2000's. They had 5 playoff appearances with no title (multiple 100+ win teams). Then they won it all with an 83 win team. Baseball is a funny game.
    Last edited by villain612; 12-18-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

23. Likes:

BillDoran (12-18-2014),Drugs Delaney (12-19-2014),HeatherC1212 (12-18-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (12-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With how the playoffs the goal should be to be pretty good. Get to the playoffs and hope the ball rolls your way.

The Cincinnati Reds just can't be the Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox and just spend more money than everyone else. That's not realistic. So for the Cincinnati Reds the goal should be to be pretty good every year and hope you catch the bounces in the playoffs. I have to wonder, and not specifically towards you KC, but in general, if the Reds had won a playoff series but still not have reached the World Series over the last few years, if people would have a slightly different outlook on reaching the playoffs as being a goal. There'd be something they could look back on as playoffs being successful rather than a total and complete embarrassment given how things have gone in two of the three trips.
    I just don't agree that "pretty good" is the goal. The goal for me is "solid contender." One of the best teams in baseball, although likely behind the top two or three in talent level and depth.

Maybe it's a definitional difference. But I think the Reds have been spending enough money to get there.

My view is that the 2013 and 2014 Reds failed to reach this level. Not because of salary issues, but because of a lack of creativity and a devotion to certain players. The 2013 team, in particular, might have been a solid contender all season with a couple of creative in-season moves.

My goal is to have a team I expect to be competitive in playoffs. Not a team that barely gets in, or like in 2013 limps in. Understanding fully that luck will play a role.

"Pretty good" would get you a spot in the playoffs when it was just the Reds and Cards as the only relevant teams. Those days are gone. On paper there are four better teams than the Reds in their own division. Yeah, lots of parity, true, but it's a position that's not likely to improve without infusions of talent.

26. Likes:

joshua (12-19-2014)

Turn Off Ads?