Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2014-2015 Dayton Flyers

2014-2015 Dayton Flyers

Thought I'd get a UD thread started for this season for the Flyer fans on the site.

The Flyers are quietly having a nice season so far with a current record of 11-2 with an RPI of 18. They beat a quality Ole Miss team just last week, who took Kentucky to OT two nights ago. They've had several obstacles, the big one being the dismissals of the two boneheaded big men, the career end of senior transfer Bass due to concussions, and a JC transfer who has yet to play a minute due to injury. They are currently going only 7 deep, with one of those 7 a walk-on. Amazingly though, they seem to have played their best ball since the player dismissals. The last 3-4 games has been the best Flyer basketball I've seen in a long, long time, and that includes last year's Elite 8 run. They have two road games this week, tonight and Saturday, that will be big tests.

Depth will probably become more and more of an issue as the season progresses, but if they can keep this quality of play continuing, it will end up being a fantastic coaching job on Archie's part. I'm really not expecting to see Archie here much longer than another season, if that. He'll start getting a lot of attention if this team can somehow get another NCAA invite.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (01-08-2015), RedTeamGo! (01-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014-2015 Dayton Flyers

That's the funny thing about depth. A couple of incidents can turn a very deep team into one just clinging to life. As reds fans, we might want to keep that in mind when we evaluate the 2014 season and try to crystal ball 2015.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

If Dayton was smart they would throw any amount of money they can at Archie. He is the type of coach that can turn UD into an "elite" mid major team. In reality, Archie will probably move on to an ACC, B1G or Pac 12 team sooner rather than later.

In the meantime all we can do is enjoy watching the best UD has been in decades.

Goooooo DAYton FLYers

Like many good coaching jobs, what's Archie's done defies explanation.

All logic would suggest the team would be poorer after booting it's only size, but lo and behold they've improved. The one obvious statistical bump since the Robinson and Scott's departures is their 3-pt shooting. It's improved dramatically. Beyond that, I'm not sure how they've managed to play such good ball despite giving significant minutes to a volleyball player.

I keep waiting for the balloon to burst (and I think it will, seems pretty unlikely we can continue to shoot this well), but I think more than anything it shows that the attitude of a program matters as much as the talent and Xs and Os. Archie has certainly established that tone.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

#22 today in the AP/coaches polls. It's great to see Dayton back on the national basketball map.
    Choo got it, dude.

8. Likes:

jimbo (01-19-2015)

Turn Off Ads?