Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting smoking

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quitting smoking

Anyone have any experience here?

I started light and it progressed to heavy and then heavier. Recently I was smoking almost 2 packs (!) per day. After turning 30 last year something hit me where I realized this can't continue. I bought a vaporizer and some supplies and have been trying that out. So far so good.

The only downside of the vape pen is that I feel like a tool lol.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Quitting smoking

Let me ask, because I've never been a smoker, what made you start in the first place?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let me ask, because I've never been a smoker, what made you start in the first place?
    I just tried it, I guess. It feels good. It was cheap-ish back then, and I didn't really care about long term health or any sort of consequences. Guess you could say it was something to do.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

5. Likes:

Raisor (01-10-2015)

I smoked for 12 years, quit when I was 27 (yes I smoked when I was 15 it was the 70's man) by 27 I was anywhere from 10-15 a day

Here's how I quit... my roomie smoked Camel Shorts, which is a horrible blend IMO, so I threw my smokes out and whenever I wanted some nicotine I had a short, which made me somewhat ill while fulfilling the need for nicotine, eventually I weaned of of those. I wasn't smoking for pleasure in that instance I was smoking for nicotine and eventually closed the door on that monkey too.

It took awhile, and yes I would have a smoke now and then over the next few years, but I stopped purchasing them, I stopped my relationship with cigarettes slowly and surely. probably haven't had one in over 10 years and never think about them other than they sure do stink and how could I ever have thought my parents didn't smell them on me

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-14-2015)

My wife has had great success with the vape. She is going on 10 weeks without a cig. Stick with it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

9. Likes:

I quit 10-20 times . Quitting was easy...well, that's not entirely honest. Quitting was easy compared to the hard part which was not starting again. If you go through the trouble of quitting, make sure you don't start again. Gum, hypnosis, patch, cold turkey...they all work. Just don't start again.

It's been 20 years and if I bought a pack to have just one, I would likely be at a pack a day within a month.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

11. Likes:

Super helpful.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

13. Likes:

westofyou (01-10-2015)

They call me "chef"

I have heard that the vape stuff is WAY better for you BUT the flavored stuff might have its own set of problems health wise.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: 75-87**

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014
    **UPDATED: 1/3/2015

15. Likes:

People start smoking for all sorts of reasons. I smoked in the bar I worked at because it was a way to get a break. My dad started smoking in the army because he noticed that it was a way to get a break during shifts digging latrines. Luckily, I'm like he is; he stopped in 1968 when he read an article in Life magazine that said smoking was bad for you and I just stopped smoking one day in 1990 and haven't lit one since. We probably were never "real" smokers, though.

My wife was not so fortunate. She was about a pack and half a day smoker and it took her over a year to quit. She tried cold turkey a few times and it didn't work, but then just decided to smoke one less cigarette per day, reducing the total amount maybe once every other week. After about a year she was down to something like two cigarettes per day and I think it probably took another three months to finally stop altogether. Good luck quitting, it's a tough road, but you won't believe how great you feel when you get through this.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 01-10-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Super helpful.
    I was curious. So I asked. He answered.

I'm not judging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I just tried it, I guess. It feels good. It was cheap-ish back then, and I didn't really care about long term health or any sort of consequences. Guess you could say it was something to do.
    Ok, I was just curious. Thanks for replying.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

19. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-14-2015), kpresidente (01-14-2015)

I had quit for awhile, but then an old college buddy came in town to visit, and next thing I knew, I was buying packs and smoking regular again. I am really wanting to quit this time around, thinking of trying the vaping thing to at least help cut cigs and then work back from there.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

21. Likes:

Different people have different things that work for them.
    Ok.. the standard RZ qualification "I am not a doctor, this is not professional advice".
    I was able to just quit cold turkey. I felt like garbage for about a week, then I was ok.
    I can have one or two cigs per year (like at a party), it feels good and I'm able to stop at that.
    Other people, it's a harder addiction and a lifelong struggle.

I'd try the gum first. It's pretty inexpensive. I used a pack recreationally when I was under a lot of stress at work, because I figured it was better than smoking. I quit before the e-cigs came out, and never tried it (I'm kind of scared I'd like it too much ) Maybe that's a better way to quit though.

But hey, good luck with quitting. The important thing is that if you slip and have a smoke, just try to pick yourself up right away and start your quitting all over again. If it's too difficult to quit, go to a doctor, my brother did and said they have stuff that helped (I don't remember the details).. Maybe it's just that a real doctor can make the program more structured? Anyhow, it worked for him.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

23. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-14-2015), RedFanAlways1966 (01-14-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I struggle with their legality.

We have a human being on here (and millions more) who is asking for help to stop something that serves no purpose...

I wish you much luck, friend. The odds are stacked against you and the fact that are trying so hard is awesome.

25. Likes:

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I struggle with their legality.

We have a human being on here (and millions more) who is asking for help to stop something that serves no purpose....
    Here, here. We should make females illegal too! <says that guy>
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

27. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-14-2015), Dom Heffner (01-14-2015), REDREAD (01-16-2015)

I once heard a quote that I thought summed it up....

"Smoking is wanting something really, really badly...and getting it every time."

What else in life can claim that?

29. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-14-2015), Raisor (01-21-2015), Rojo (01-14-2015)

Turn Off Ads?