Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental Work

Dental Work

I need advice on dental work. I recently went to the dentist and found out one of my front teeth has a crack in it. I have 3 options which are go with a bridge which will cost me $3,000 after insurance, go with an implant which will cost me $4,000 after insurance or have the tooth taken out with nothing put back in and look like a goofball.

Do these prices sound right? Are there any other options I do not know about? I could do alot of things with $4,000.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dental Work

I don't know anything about dentistry........but that much money for one tooth? WOW.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Yeah those prices do sound about right according to google research i just did. Good luck with everything. Dental work is expensive but really makes a difference in quality of life.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Yeah those prices do sound about right according to google research i just did. Good luck with everything. Dental work is expensive but really makes a difference in quality of life.
    I disagree. Those prices sound about right before insurance, not after. Insurance should cut those bills in half

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree. Those prices sound about right before insurance, not after. Insurance should cut those bills in half
    Well part of my problem is my insurance sucks. They will only pay about $1,000 towards whatever option I pick.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The poster "George Foster" is a dentist, I'd ask him.

9. Likes:

George Anderson (01-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I don't know anything about dentistry........but that much money for one tooth? WOW.

11. Likes:

jimbo (01-14-2015)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Dr. Tiernan estimates that a single implant, a clean abutment and a reasonably priced crown will cost about $4,000, and the patient should expect to pay all or most of this. Unlike more traditional dental procedures, dental implants may not be covered by your insurance or may be covered at a lower percentage.
    If you choose a traditional three-unit bridge to replace one missing tooth, the cost of a dental bridge can range between $2,100 to $4,500, according to Costhelper.com
    http://www.angieslist.com/articles/s...oth-bridge.htm
    Award Winning Baseball Player

13. Likes:

George Anderson (01-10-2015)

It may be that his insurance considers this procedure cosmetic.

My son last year got Invisaligns- the "invisible" braces. My insurance only pays $1000.00 for braces, so I had to pay $3000.00, and that was after 1000.00 in discounts.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

15. Likes:

George Anderson (01-11-2015)

As a guy who has over time bought a BMW for my dentist, I've had bridges, crowns and implants. An implant is more hassle up front, and may cost more. But it absolutely the way to go.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

17. Likes:

dfs (01-11-2015),George Anderson (01-11-2015)

Sometimes the dental office will offer their own insurance plan. It might behoove you to buy their insurance in addition to what you already have. I did that when I needed a crown and it saved me some money. The insurance lasted a year and saved me on some other dental work I needed as well.

Try to save as much of the tooth as possible. Having an original tooth, even if only partial, can really help when you get old in terms of stabilizing your teeth and providing a solid foundation for dentures, bridges, etc.

19. Likes:

George Anderson (01-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sometimes the dental office will offer their own insurance plan. It might behoove you to buy their insurance in addition to what you already have. I did that when I needed a crown and it saved me some money. The insurance lasted a year and saved me on some other dental work I needed as well.

Try to save as much of the tooth as possible. Having an original tooth, even if only partial, can really help when you get old in terms of stabilizing your teeth and providing a solid foundation for dentures, bridges, etc.
    Well they offer a 1 year same as cash program and I will likely take em up on it. Im just trying to cover all bases. Insurance wont cover it because its considered cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Hence my point. $4K is what an implant should cost without insurance; not with. As for the bridge cost, a range of 2100 to 4500 tells us nothing. No way Indianapolis should be charging more for a bridge than an implant. For example if the implant is $4k then the Bridge should be about $3k. Then his insurance should kick it down to about $2k.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Well they offer a 1 year same as cash program and I will likely take em up on it. Im just trying to cover all bases. Insurance wont cover it because its considered cosmetic.
    Insurance won't cover either option? Replacing a tooth is never cosmetic. It may be unnecessary in some cases but it's not cosmetic. Have your dental office appeal it with a narrative explaining why this isn't cosmetic

Insurance won't cover either option? Replacing a tooth is never cosmetic. It may be unnecessary in some cases but it's not cosmetic. Have your dental office appeal it with a narrative explaining why this isn't cosmetic
    I will ask but how is it not cosmetic? You dont need that tooth.

Turn Off Ads?