Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Oscar Nominations are out

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

It doesn't really matter either way about Harris himself. Rather, it's the whole mindset mentality about the writing that goes into the Oscars every year, year after year, that I just don't get.

I mean, really, why do they keep doing this? That is, writing the most gimmicky, routine, one-two jokes where the host has no other choice but to deliver in a mechanical fashion. It's such a painfully dated approach that plays like a nightly, low-rent Vegas act from the 70s - the kind of time filler standup shtick that runs during the 7 P.M. hour for senior citizens. There's tradition, and then there's just obsolete.

They need to stop trying to manufacture comedy and charm, or at least try not to be so obvious about it.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think NPH did a particularly good job, but at the same time hosting the Oscars is a no-win proposition and don't think it's all that fair to blame him for the anemic nature of the show. The format is tired and dated and the show is so overly-choreographed that it sucks all the charm out of the moment.

More than anything I wish the show was more about the movies themselves, rather than being a vehicle for mediocre dance numbers and telegraphed banter between random celebrities.

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (02-23-2015),RedTeamGo! (02-23-2015)

Well, these kind of shows are doomed from the start to be uneven, even the best ones.

NPH didn't really bother me that much.

What did and does bother me will really rub a lot of people the wrong way. I thought Lady Gaga is just an average singer in the Sound of Music medley. Every singer on broadway could have blown her away.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Lady Gaga was OUTSTANDING last night. She blew me away with that medley and I'm someone who all ready knew she could sing (her acoustic stuff is amazing if you haven't heard any of it). I hope she sticks with being more 'normal' with her music for a while and gets rid of all the artsy garbage because she is insanely talented and deserves to be recognized for it.
    The "artsy garbage" is what sets her apart from many other talented people and is really what she is known for.

I'm not Lady Gaga's biggest fan, but I think all of the visual and performance stuff she does hardly obscures her talent. You don't have to be about one or the other. Given her background and her style, I'm willing to bet she thinks most people's definition of "normal" is pretty boring.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-25-2015)

They are talking about reducing the number of Best Picture nominees back down to 5.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/oscars-...697783402.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They are talking about reducing the number of Best Picture nominees back down to 5.

I'm hardly an Oscar buff but 10 nominees really seemed weird and probably dilutes/complicates the voting. Go back to 5. Give out 5 honorable mention nominees if you must.

10. Likes:

Chip R (03-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

It saddens me that the Acadamy is worried about ratings. It bolsters my arguement that the Oscars are not a night of prestige, but of marketing.

If they want to boost ratings, I'd recommend going back to 5 best movie nominations, but divide it up into two categories, drama and comedy. I'd also divide the acting and directing categories similarly, and get rid of some of the categories no one cares about, like best short, animated short, sound editing, etc..
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It saddens me that the Acadamy is worried about ratings. It bolsters my arguement that the Oscars are not a night of prestige, but of marketing.

If they want to boost ratings, I'd recommend going back to 5 best movie nominations, but divide it up into two categories, drama and comedy. I'd also divide the acting and directing categories similarly, and get rid of some of the categories no one cares about, like best short, animated short, sound editing, etc..
    Well, the Super Bowl always gets outstanding ratings but you can bet your bottom dollar the NFL is worried when the ratings drop. Just like the Oscars.

It shouldn't matter for either show but the Powers That Be panic when the ratings go down. People are funny that way. There's an old story out there about when Walter O'Malley owned the Dodgers. He's talking to one of his executives about how it's so awful that the Dodgers lost $2M that season. The executive left the room and saw another executive and told him it's so awful that the Dodgers lost $2m that year. The other executive smiled and told him that when O'Malley said the Dodgers lost $2M he really meant the Dodgers made $2M less than they did the year before.

I really think they worry too much about ratings. It's difficult to keep people glued to their seats for 3.5 hours. It's a little easier for a Super Bowl if the game is close but I don't think it matters so much who is hosting.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?