Turn Off Ads?

Thread: San Diego Gets the 2016 All Star Game

San Diego Gets the 2016 All Star Game

This is the logo from the 1978 All Star Game I just saw on Twitter.

Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego Gets the 2016 All Star Game

Here's the link to the actual announcement.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/106508...summer-classic

Here's the only YouTube I could find of the 1978 ASG. It's a compilation of Ted Simmons highlights from that game. Simmons replaced Bench because of a back injury. Keith Jackson reads a telegram (remember those?) Bench sent to ABC thanking the fans for voting him in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxF8rEk-Oig
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 01-15-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm confused, maybe someone can set me straight. the 2016 ASG? I thought they alternated leagues?

5. Likes:

redsmetz (01-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    I'm confused, maybe someone can set me straight. the 2016 ASG? I thought they alternated leagues?
    That's usually how they do it, but there have been a few exceptions. The Bucs and Giants hosted back to back in 2006 and 2007 (I think it was). These days, I think its almost just a showcase of some of the newer (built in the last 10-15 years) ballparks around baseball as it is anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    That's usually how they do it, but there have been a few exceptions. The Bucs and Giants hosted back to back in 2006 and 2007 (I think it was). These days, I think its almost just a showcase of some of the newer (built in the last 10-15 years) ballparks around baseball as it is anything else.
    Speculation is that it will be 3 straight NL parks with the Nats/Marlins the front-runners for 2017.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

I read that Baltimore was a favorite for 2016, but they are in a lawsuit against MLB and the Nationals about TV rights/marketplace, so MLB is not happy about that and that may have affected this decision

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I read that Baltimore was a favorite for 2016, but they are in a lawsuit against MLB and the Nationals about TV rights/marketplace, so MLB is not happy about that and that may have affected this decision
    MLB is contending that that is false (which means it's probably partially true) and that Baltimore didn't file the application paperwork in time (which of course Baltimore is claiming is false).
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I miss the old brown & gold Padres. Outside of their Sunday military alt uniforms, they look hideously generic now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

11. Likes:

Big Klu (01-17-2015),Number_Fourteen (01-17-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (01-17-2015)

Per multiple tweets the American League will be the home team in this game and bat last.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?