Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy and wrong - Dave Stewart

Grumpy and wrong - Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart lobs grenade at baseball acumen that he doesn't prescribe to.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ize-analytics/

Stewart’s speculation as to why, maybe, Shields may be willing to take less money to go to Arizona than he might elsewhere:

“I think James is a throwback guy by the way he goes about his business and the innings he pitches,” Stewart said. “I think the fact that Tony (La Russa) is here and that we have more baseball people – he probably sees us as a true baseball team vs. some of the other teams out here that are geared more toward analytics and those type of things.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grumpy and wrong - Dave Stewart

I'm sure Stewart has followed his former team to see how successful they've been with analytics.

Grumpy and wrong - The Marty Brennaman Story.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

BoxingRed (01-21-2015),OGB (01-22-2015),Raisor (01-21-2015),REDREAD (01-21-2015),RedsBrick (01-21-2015),smixsell (01-23-2015),TRF (01-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm sure Stewart has followed his former team to see how successful they've been with analytics.
    Weak reply.

In short ripping the use of intelligence or base lining it with a silly statement like yours says nothing about who is using data and everything about those who deride it

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Countless divisional titles on a shoestring budget, Stewart could definitely learn a thing or two.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Weak reply.

In short ripping the use of intelligence or base lining it with a silly statement like yours says nothing about who is using data and everything about those who deride it
    I sort of took Todd's comment as tongue-in-cheek because the A's have been pretty darn successful using data to build their team. As Tom points out, for a team with their budget, they are pretty consistently in the contention conversation. Unless he was actually suggesting the lack of World Series rings is the end-all, be-all measure of success. In which case, I agree with you. Pretty weak reply.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (01-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    I sort of took Todd's comment as tongue-in-cheek because the A's have been pretty darn successful using data to build their team. As Tom points out, for a team with their budget, they are pretty consistently in the contention conversation. Unless he was actually suggesting the lack of World Series rings is the end-all, be-all measure of success. In which case, I agree with you. Pretty weak reply.
    Todd is suggesting the later, and I'm sure his tongue was also brushing his cheek a little.

Still bitter about Annie Lennox. Move on, bro.

To be as wrong as he likely his, the Diamondbacks may fall into a good position. If every other team is going by the same philosophies and looking at the same stats perhaps there is an advantage to be gained just by doing things differently. Other teams passing on draft picks you have an interest in, getting free agents at a cheaper rate due to lack of a competition. The new market inefficiency may be lack of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Dave Stewart lobs grenade at baseball acumen that he doesn't prescribe to.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ize-analytics/
    I think the word your looking for is "subscribe" not "prescribe." I don't hear anything grumpy in Stewart's remarks-can you point to a moment of grumpiness? I think it's narrow-minded to call anyone who believes in factors other than newfangled baseball analytics as "wrong." It's a form of demagoguery that SABR people have a tendency to indulge in: to characterize all who are in disagreement as stubborn luddites. In the end, it just makes those supporting analytics look prejudiced, not analytical.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

14. Likes:

jimbo (01-21-2015),TSJ55 (01-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I think the word your looking for is "subscribe" not "prescribe." I don't hear anything grumpy in Stewart's remarks-can you point to a moment of grumpiness? I think it's narrow-minded to call anyone who believes in factors other than newfangled baseball analytics as "wrong." It's a form of demagoguery that SABR people have a tendency to indulge in: to characterize all who are in disagreement as stubborn luddites. In the end, it just makes those supporting analytics look prejudiced, not analytical.
    You are correct.

I should have used subscribe

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    To be as wrong as he likely his, the Diamondbacks may fall into a good position. If every other team is going by the same philosophies and looking at the same stats perhaps there is an advantage to be gained just by doing things differently. Other teams passing on draft picks you have an interest in, getting free agents at a cheaper rate due to lack of a competition. The new market inefficiency may be lack of knowledge.
    Failing to understand how value is created on a baseball field is not a good place to start when building a baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Didn't they just try to get tougher the last few years in an attempt to accomplish the same goal?

Look there is no "right way" but deriding one way while your team has been looking for a constant path and then boasting about what "real baseball" is seems to be ill timed and a little silly and archaic

Dave Stewart is Tony LaRussa's choice as GM. Does this mean the smartest man in the history of baseball doesn't favor the new analytics?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dave Stewart is Tony LaRussa's choice as GM. Does this mean the smartest man in the history of baseball doesn't favor the new analytics?
    Nope, he uses them. But he tempers it with real life experience. IE he's not married to the dogma that there is one way to win in the game

20. Likes:

TSJ55 (01-21-2015)

Turn Off Ads?