Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service admits errors in Snowmageddon forecast

National Weather Service admits errors in Snowmageddon forecast

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: National Weather Service admits errors in Snowmageddon forecast

Weather people getting a forecast wrong...Is that news?

Seriously, these things can be tricky to forecast. I think the story here is the mayor closing everything down including making it a crime to drive after 11pm last night. I wonder how much money closing the city down cost NY.

I have a friend that lives less than 25 miles from Brooklyn. She got two feet of snow. Did downtown NYC need to be shut down? Maybe not. But it's not like they missed this by a hundred miles.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have a friend that lives less than 25 miles from Brooklyn. She got two feet of snow. Did downtown NYC need to be shut down? Maybe not. But it's not like they missed this by a hundred miles.
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to with putting the blame on the forecasters. It's tricky business to figure out who will get 5" and who will get 2 ft

We got two inches in Upstate NY
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Better safe than sorry, I figure. But maybe I'm biased because I got off of work today.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-28-2015)

A thing I can't identify marcshoe's Avatar

They forecast next to nothing for us, and I figured that meant we would get two feet. I was wrong; we got next to nothing.

At least you had a shovel, just in case

12. Likes:

marcshoe (01-29-2015)

They nailed it here... 68 degrees at the coast they said... they were right.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Its tough to blame people whose job is actually predicting the future. It's not like the storm was weak, it just missed where they expected it to hit in my case. New England got hit as hard as predicted, I believe.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-28-2015)

Resident weatherman here. (degree in meteorology, work as a software engineer for the weather service)

This storm was particularly tricky, as these coastal storms often are. It really does come down to where exactly the storm bombs along the coast, combined with a bunch of other moving parts. Anyway, the "gradient" for snowfall for this storm was really tight. As one person mentioned above, they got a few inches while only 25 miles away they got 2 feet. Anyway, this made predicting exactly what amounts would fall in what locations very, very difficult. Definitely not perfect, but since NYC missed the brunt of it, and because SO much national media is right there, all they can talk about is how the forecast busted. But as Sea Ray pointed out, it didn't bust, it just moved east by half the distance between Dayton and Cincinnati. And Boston STILL got hammered, just as forecasted.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

And, why does nobody ever mention Maine? They're like the red-headed stepchild.

Maine got blasted. But, nobody cares. It's Maine, I guess.

Let's not forget that it was the Hurricane to near-hurricane force winds that had everyone concerned. It made any type of driving potentially blind-driving with zero visibility. That's why Connecticut had a ban on all driving at 9:00, Massachusetts a ban on all driving at 12:00, and New York City had the ban on driving at 11:00. It wasn't the amount of snow they were concerned about, but the visibility while driving, which was forecast fairly accurately.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-28-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And, why does nobody ever mention Maine? They're like the red-headed stepchild.

Maine got blasted. But, nobody cares. It's Maine, I guess.

Let's not forget that it was the Hurricane to near-hurricane force winds that had everyone concerned. It made any type of driving potentially blind-driving with zero visibility. That's why Connecticut had a ban on all driving at 9:00, Massachusetts a ban on all driving at 12:00, and New York City had the ban on driving at 11:00. It wasn't the amount of snow they were concerned about, but the visibility while driving, which was forecast fairly accurately.
    Good point. Visibility was really bad in NJ even though the area I was in only got about 8 inches. I was of course anticipating 2.5 feet, and so I was the guy shoveling the driveway and sidewalks every few hours, thinking I would wake up the next day with a little bit less on my plate than the neighbors. You could barely see any distance when it was really coming down.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And, why does nobody ever mention Maine? They're like the red-headed stepchild. Maine got blasted. But, nobody cares. It's Maine, I guess.
    Whale watchers disagree! Vote for Jeb and Kennebunkport s/b back in the news lol. Seriously though... I wonder how many Americans do not know the capital city is Augusta. I am guessing about 50% would not know.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

A thing I can't identify marcshoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Whale watchers disagree! Vote for Jeb and Kennebunkport s/b back in the news lol. Seriously though... I wonder how many Americans do not know the capital city is Augusta. I am guessing about 50% would not know.
    I'd go higher. You'd probably get Bangor, Portland, Derry, and Castle Rock from people before they guessed Augusta.

Turn Off Ads?