Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law top 100: Reds placed 2 players

Re: Keith Law top 100: Reds placed 2 players

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How can 5 teams be the Cubs?
    I assume you meant "beat." I don't want to delve into Law logic, which may not exist. Yet if you've got three superstar talents (e.g. Bryant, Russell, Soler) that arguably trumps a team with six good prospects.

As an aside, BP is holding a prospect experts mock draft right now. Winker went at #28. Stephenson went at #32. They've made 60 picks so far.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

nmculbreth (01-29-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I assume you meant "beat." I don't want to delve into Law logic, which may not exist. Yet if you've got three superstar talents (e.g. Bryant, Russell, Soler) that arguably trumps a team with six good prospects.

As an aside, BP is holding a prospect experts mock draft right now. Winker went at #28. Stephenson went at #32. They've made 60 picks so far.
    That draft is for fantasy purposes.

I'm a little surprised that Lorenzen didn't minimally sneak in somewhere between 50 and 100.

I get that the K/9 wasn't all that impressive but he more than acquitted himself in AA despite having limited experience as a SP and his raw stuff should allow for more strikeouts as he matures as a pitcher. I mean if Kohl Stewart gets a pass for posting a similar K/9 in the Midwest League, why shouldn't Lorenzen?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How can 5 teams be the Cubs?
    I meant none of those teams was the Cubs.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

I feel stupid.

I don't understand what the conversaton between Red Team Guy and Ac88765 was all about.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I feel stupid.

I don't understand what the conversaton between Red Team Guy and Ac88765 was all about.
    It concerned the Cubs so it's clearly unimportant. *grin*

9. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-30-2015),villain612 (01-30-2015)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

nm
    Last edited by Always Red; 01-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I feel stupid.

I was just pointing out that Stephenson being ranked 10-15 spots higher probably wouldn't have had the effect he thinks it would (Reds higher than 17th in Team Rankings) given that six teams that weren't the cubs had six prospects in the top 100 but that wasn't enough to rank them above the Cubs.

Law said several times during his chat yesterday that he used teams' entire systems to do his rankings, not just the guys in the top 100.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

12. Likes:

757690 (01-30-2015)

I was just making a joke on the typo.

I am confused as to why Tires has a picture of Curly from the Three Stooges as his avatar, though.

14. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (01-30-2015)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Great. Now everytime I see a post from Wheels, I'll be thinking "nyuk-nyuk-nyuk....Hey MOE!"

Law has posted his Reds top 10
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...ost/_/id/3284/

I am not an "Insider" so I have no idea who is on his list.

Edit: I now see we have a thread over on the MiLB side for this.

Top 10 prospects

1. Jesse Winker, LF
    2. Robert Stephenson, RHP
    3. Aristides Aquino, RF
    4. Michael Lorenzen, RHP
    5. Nick Howard, RHP
    6. Raisel Iglesias, RHP
    7. Alex Blandino, 3B
    8. Nick Travieso, RHP I
    9. Yorman Rodriguez, OF
    10. Kyle Waldrop, LF
    Last edited by klw; 01-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Law has posted his Reds top 10
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...ost/_/id/3284/

I am not an "Insider" so I have no idea who is on his list.

Edit: I now see we have a thread over on the MiLB side for this.

Top 10 prospects

1. Jesse Winker, LF
    2. Robert Stephenson, RHP
    3. Aristides Aquino, RF
    4. Michael Lorenzen, RHP
    5. Nick Howard, RHP
    6. Raisel Iglesias, RHP
    7. Alex Blandino, 3B
    8. Nick Travieso, RHP I
    9. Yorman Rodriguez, OF
    10. Kyle Waldrop, LF
    Goes to show how strong the Reds system actually is. Law says Aquino was in contention for his Top 100. Aquino didn't make my Reds Top 10, Fangraphs Reds Top 10, Baseball Prospectus' Reds Top 10 or Baseball America's Reds Top 8.

Yet, Law has the system ranked 17th in baseball. So much just doesn't jive with that ranking.

18. Likes:

New Fever (01-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Goes to show how strong the Reds system actually is. Law says Aquino was in contention for his Top 100. Aquino didn't make my Reds Top 10, Fangraphs Reds Top 10, Baseball Prospectus' Reds Top 10 or Baseball America's Reds Top 8.

Yet, Law has the system ranked 17th in baseball. So much just doesn't jive with that ranking.
    "Well, it's Keith Law, so..."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

That's a flawed argument. Just because Law had a guy higher than you in his rankings doesn't mean he doesn't rank all the other guys below him much lower - right or wrong. Maybe Law really likes Aquino enough to just miss his top 100 but 4-10 aren't even in his top 200. I don't know without other context. But to say just because he ranks one guy higher than anyone else, his whole argument is flawed - I just can't get there.
    -Rogers Hornsby

As I said in the other thread, Law is very narrow minded and opinionated.. I really don't worry at all about his rankings.
    It was interesting to read what he said about Winker and Stephenson, but it's not like the guy was able to keep a job in MLB (I suspect his poor people skills had something to do with this too).

Honestly, I step back and look at the big picture.. Inglesis, Descalani, Wallach, Suarez, and Crawford very recently. Even if all those guys don't count as prospects, it's a good
    youth infusion which will help keep this team interesting for a longer period of time. They also had a very nice 2014 draft. The Reds farm system continues to be on an upswing. Whether Law ranks us as 10th, 17th, or 30th really doesn't bother me.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?