Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I bought a Roku a few years back but then decided shortly after that to buy a smart tv. My tv has all sorts of apps..Netflix and such. I threw the Roku in a drawer where it has sat for probably 2 years.. I sometimes think about re-hooking it up but is there any reason to if you have a smart tv??? I often think about "cutting the cord" but I don't want to miss Reds games in the summer and there really is only 1 channel I watch with any regularity on cable and I would hate to get rid of it as that is my main viewing channel. Also, and not trying to be difficult, but for those of you that have "cut the cord" it seems like by the time you subscribe to all those $8.00 and $9.00 channels you would be paying just as much as when you still had cable????
    I've got two smart tvs. Both suck at being smart and both turn themselves off (likely due to overheating) with prolonged usage of the apps. The apps on both are very lacking compared to the ones of my Roku or Xbox. That may not bother everyone, but the functionality is terrible (yours may be different).

As for other reasons to get something aside from the smart tv - My roku allows me to do a lot of things that the tvs can't. Normal users may never use any of those options, but for me it makes a big difference.

With cutting the cord though, I can certainly see the savings. I don't have HD cable right now. I get channels 2-64 on cable and it's over $50 a month and it's only that cheap because I bundle it with my internet. You can get Netflix and Hulu Plus for $18 a month. I've also got Amazon Prime (I paid $72 for the year, but it's normally $99 a year). I don't know how to price that out because I certainly use it for more than just the video service (free 2-day shipping on orders through Amazon, which probably happens once a month).

Now, if I were to get MLB.tv then we are talking about $20 a month - but that's still cheaper than the upgrade to HD cable. Of course, the TWC app on the roku/xbox gives me about 40 channels in HD, and don't tell them, but it even gives me several channels I don't get on my TV, so I often watch stuff on those apps because well, watching non-HD channels is the worst and I hate it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I bought a Roku a few years back but then decided shortly after that to buy a smart tv. My tv has all sorts of apps..Netflix and such. I threw the Roku in a drawer where it has sat for probably 2 years.. I sometimes think about re-hooking it up but is there any reason to if you have a smart tv??? I often think about "cutting the cord" but I don't want to miss Reds games in the summer and there really is only 1 channel I watch with any regularity on cable and I would hate to get rid of it as that is my main viewing channel. Also, and not trying to be difficult, but for those of you that have "cut the cord" it seems like by the time you subscribe to all those $8.00 and $9.00 channels you would be paying just as much as when you still had cable????
    I was paying $120 for cable TV. I pay $8 for NetFlix and $10 for MLB.tv. That is a savings of $102 per month. But the best reason to cut the cord is not to save money, it is because streaming is simply better than cable/satelite. More shows, more flexibility, more control.

NetFlix is not a "channel". It is a "warehouse" of 500,000 tv shows and movies you can watch on demand whenever you want without having to record it or tune in at a specific time. You can watch NetFlix not only on your tv but also on your phone, tablet and computer. You can share one membership among multiple households too. Each member of your family can be watching a different show at the same time if you like. You can watch NetFlix 24/7 and never run out of good stuff to watch because new stuff is coming in faster than you can watch them. There are zero commercials on NetFlix either. There are a lot of awesome shows and movies that are not available anywhere on cable tv.

There are also many free apps on the Roku, each of which is like a micro-Netflix with lots of free stuff to watch. There are also apps which you have to pay for. Hulu+ is a popular one that has many thousands of episodes of network tv shows. Amazon Prime is similar to NetFlix but also has benefits in addition to the shows/movies, such as free shipping on anything you order from Amazon, free MP3 downloads and discounts on 1st run movies. I don't have Amazon Prime currently. That is one thing you can consider as well, that you can subscribe to an app like NetFlix or HBO-GO for a couple months to watch a whole bunch of stuff or basically everything you want to watch real bad, then cancel the membership until you are ready to renew again.

Cutting the cord will save anyone a lot of money. The only downside is live sports, but you can watch those for free on your computer or you can hook an antenna to your TV for free HD signal. Or you can subscribe to pay apps like MLB.tv or the equivalent for the NFL or NBA.

I felt it wasn't worth $4 per day to watch tv, especially when many days I didn't watch it anyway. For $4 per day you can spend that money on forms of entertainment that are a lot more fun than cable tv.

NetFlix is the best bargain value in the universe. You should get NetFlix even if you love cable TV.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-02-2015 at 09:47 PM.

This is what I have...

HDTV-Vizio 47" 3D: Few "smart" apps. Really haven't checked them out.

Apple TV: Visuals/layouts of the apps are wonderful-esp Netflix, but are few compared to Roku. Combined my Disney Movie Rewards account with iTunes and the movies look great. Was for a time using the AirPlay function to mirror my iPhone to use the TWC TV app-guess TWC got wise and blocked out the visual (still can get the audio)... a black screen comes on and says "TWC TV does not currently support HDMI video out of this device. Please disconnect HDMI to continue using TWC TV." So, I ended up getting a digital box with a DVR from TWC for $25/mo last month. On the AirPlay: it's fine for some things but if the app cannot be turned horizontal, what's the use? Email and TapaTalk (Redszone) are fine but Facebook and Tumblr do not turn.

Chromecast: Only tried it once, didn't like it, so its back in the box.

Samsung 3D Bluray Player: Has the Smart Hub apps but not all the apps that are available via the HDTVs, tablets and phones (no TWC TV).

Now that I know that Roku has the TWC TV app might have to purchase it and get rid of the box. Still can get the Reds games just not in HD via my TV. A sister has Roku and loves it. Thanks for the info!

I'll put in another plug for Netflix... Love it-definitely worth the money.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post

Now that I know that Roku has the TWC TV app might have to purchase it and get rid of the box. Still can get the Reds games just not in HD via my TV. A sister has Roku and loves it. Thanks for the info!

I'll put in another plug for Netflix... Love it-definitely worth the money.
    Just as a heads up, FS Ohio is not one of the channels you can get through the TWC app. But, Fox Sports 1 is.

6. Likes:

KittyDuran (02-03-2015)

The only reason have DirectTV is too watch the reds and MLB Network. Just can't cut that cord. Maybe if the blackout rules change.....
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

8. Likes:

hebroncougar (02-08-2015),mth123 (02-03-2015)

Have Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV stick.

Fire TV stick I'm able to load Kodi, formerly XBMC media center which gives me access to thousands of movies/tv shows if you know what to upload onto it. Its awesome

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    The only reason have DirectTV is too watch the reds and MLB Network. Just can't cut that cord. Maybe if the blackout rules change.....
    It is pretty easy to get around the blackout rules. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just as a heads up, FS Ohio is not one of the channels you can get through the TWC app. But, Fox Sports 1 is.
    Yes, already know that . It also limits what channels you can access when away from home. Looking at it now from work: what are all these TWC Local Game channels/TWC Sports Channel?
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Have Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV stick.

Fire TV stick I'm able to load Kodi, formerly XBMC media center which gives me access to thousands of movies/tv shows if you know what to upload onto it. Its awesome
    I use PLEX on the Roku for the same thing. My old DVD collection is on there, as are a few of the movies I have actually bought digital downloads of (this is reserved for only my absolute favorites). I also have a DVR set up for the OTA channels and while I use Hulu Plus for that that's on Fox/NBC, CBS doesn't get in on Hulu, so I have some television shows that are recorded on a computer from OTA from CBS as well that get put on there. I've got an old laptop that is basically just a media server that I use to run all of my PLEX stuff. It's wonderful.

Got a Roku 3 yesterday. Very easy setup and I love the TWC app! Tried out the Netflix app, but the visual is not as good as with Apple TV. More reports this weekend when I have more time to play with it. Anyway, taking back the DVR/cable box to TimeWarner today and saving $25/mo.

I've got two smart tvs. Both suck at being smart and both turn themselves off (likely due to overheating) with prolonged usage of the apps. The apps on both are very lacking compared to the ones of my Roku or Xbox. That may not bother everyone, but the functionality is terrible (yours may be different).
    What brand smart tv's do you have? I am considering getting a new 28- 32 inch tv for one of the rooms and was considering getting a smart set.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    What brand smart tv's do you have? I am considering getting a new 28- 32 inch tv for one of the rooms and was considering getting a smart set.
    There is a 42" Vizio in the living room (roommates TV). From a TV standpoint, it's pretty good. From a smart tv side of things though, it sucks. In my bedroom I've got a 52 inch Sony Bravia 3D tv (I did not buy it because it had 3D - I don't even have the required glasses for it). This is truly a great TV, but from a smart tv standpoint, it's not so good.

Maybe I just have problems walking into tv's that don't do the whole "smart" thing, but I'm certainly 0-2 on them with two different brands.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Maybe I just have problems walking into tv's that don't do the whole "smart" thing, but I'm certainly 0-2 on them with two different brands.
    I've got a Samsung smart TV. The TV is awesome, the "smart" part is basically useless. Much prefer streaming over other devices. Don't even bother *any* of the functionality of the Smart TV.

GL

I have a smart vizio also..... Hate that part. Do use the Roku from time to time
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I've got a 55" Vizio smart TV that is really slow for supposedly being so smart. I mostly stream everything from other devices but I'll occasionally use the Netflix app on the tv just because it's a single button push away but the netflix experience is worse than my PS3, Roku or pretty much any other device that runs Netflix. My kids have a Wii U that is better in terms of steaming apps than my smart TV.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?