Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Check out the ROKU app (I have it on Android) - connects up to your Roku to use as another remote and allows you to use headphones with your phone for audio.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Youtube is going be pulled off the Amazon Firestick on Jan 1. I got a message about this last night when I logged onto Youtube via the Firestick. Apparently Amazon and Google are locked into a cyber war over a few things and Google up the ante a little bit yesterday. I'm not happy about this as I watch quite a bit of Youtube using my Firestick. I'll wait a little and see what happens but I may have to go with Roku Stick, Any thoughts about those?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/1...w-nest-devices
    I know people at work, and now a few family members, who went on Ebay and bought the Amazon Firestick's that are "jail-broken" (which is simply the installation of KODI). And they're all bragging on them and how great they are because there getting all this "stuff", including pay-services, all for free! For me, I don't get drawn into the legality issue of it .... but it's more a moral (conscience) issue with me. And while I'm as imperfect as anyone, I refuse to buy one because, in my mind, you're stealing and "Thou Shalt Not Steal". And every time I've almost broke down and bought one that keeps hitting me upside the head. So I refuse to buy one.

If I want to see a movie that is currently at the theater - I'll go to the theater and pay .. If I want to watch HBO, ShowTime or whatever - I'll subscribe and pay for it.

Like everyone else I'm just as frustrated/irritated at the "monopoly" the cable and satellite industries have established, and the dictates/hold they have over the consumer. But I'm not going to go to that length, take that kind of step, when I see it as a moral issue over a legal issue. My wife and I are quite content with the set-up with have now .... no cable TV, a Mohu internal antenna, a couple Roku's, and a subscription to SlingTV and Hulu. It more then meets our viewing needs - and we love YouTube too - and our consciences are clean (LOL)
    Last edited by GAC; 12-07-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I know people at work, and now a few family members, who went on Ebay and bought the Amazon Firestick's that are "jail-broken" (which is simply the installation of KODI). And they're all bragging on them and how great they are because there getting all this "stuff", including pay-services, all for free! For me, I don't get drawn into the legality issue of it .... but it's more a moral (conscience) issue with me. And while I'm as imperfect as anyone, I refuse to buy one because, in my mind, you're stealing and "Thou Shalt Not Steal". And every time I've almost broke down and bought one that keeps hitting me upside the head. So I refuse to buy one.

If I want to see a movie that is currently at the theater - I'll go to the theater and pay .. If I want to watch HBO, ShowTime or whatever - I'll subscribe and pay for it.

Like everyone else I'm just as frustrated/irritated at the "monopoly" the cable and satellite industries have established, and the dictates/hold they have over the consumer. But I'm not going to go to that length, take that kind of step, when I see it as a moral issue over a legal issue. My wife and I are quite content with the set-up with have now .... no cable TV, a Mohu internal antenna, a couple Roku's, and a subscription to SlingTV and Hulu. It more then meets our viewing needs - and we love YouTube too - and our consciences are clean (LOL)
    I'm the same way, GAC. It would be my luck if I did that they would start cracking down on people who are basically "stealing" these services and I would be going off to jail. It's not worth that or any kind of trouble. If they quit offering the service then so be it. I can live with out it if have to.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I've been a Roku guy for probably 5 years. But I was at Microcenter on Black Friday weekend to pick up something and they had the Fire Stick for $24.99. I had an older Roku stick that was a bit "slow", so I decided to give it a shot and gave that old Roku Stick to my mom to replace the incredibly old Roku "puck" she had in her "office". It's definitely faster than the old Roku stick I was using. I pretty much only use it for three things, though: Twitch (which I watch like two or three shows on), Plex (I have all of my old DVD collection on a server that I use to stream) and Sling. My smart tv's cover everything else - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube.

Anyone who's not on a 2017 version of Roku should definitely upgrade to latest Roku. Well worth the small cost.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

LOoks like Hulu Live has a free trial now. I may wait till Xmas to give it a shot. I noticed they have pretty much all my locals.

https://signup.hulu.com/plans?optx=live-tv
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Anyone who's not on a 2017 version of Roku should definitely upgrade to latest Roku. Well worth the small cost.

I have Roku 3. Maybe 3 years old . What is new on Roku?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I have Roku 3. Maybe 3 years old . What is new on Roku?
    Oops. Sorry just saw this. I should have been more specific. I have a Roku 3 and 2 sticks. The Roku 3 is fine. The newer sticks are much more powerful than the old sticks.

10. Likes:

919191 (12-15-2017),cumberlandreds (12-15-2017),dougdirt (12-14-2017)

My wife and I really haven't been watching SlingTv hardly at all, and we both really don't care how the format is set up, especially the Guide (maneuverability, seems pretty primitive, chintzy IMO). And they need to expand their channel lineup a little.

Been doing a lot of research on DirectvNow and decided to give it a try. They have a "birthday" deal going on right now where they knock $25 off the first month (can't be used in combination with their free 7 day trial). We got the "Just Right" package (80+ channels/$50 month). One can get their "Live A Little" package (60+ channels/$35 month). So far I like it's channel selection, especially live and sports channels (several ESPN's, FSO, and even BTN and SEC), and the lay-out of the Guide ...the overall quality and usability, IMO, is far, far better, easier to use. I like too that you can continue watching the channel you're on while the Guide is pulled up to browse. Also like how easy it is to use the "Favorite Channels" option to set up your own Guide. So, so far so good. Cancelled my SlingTV.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-16-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

OK--I have roku's on all my tv's---My daughters don't keep track of all my gizmos and one bought me a google assistant for Christmas. It seems like an ok gadget to play with---but they also got me a google chromecast and after 2 days of messing with it unless i'm really missing something I don't see any purpose of this thing. The apps are very limited(especially after I got rid of both netflix and hulu a few months back)...Am i missing what is unique about the Chromecast? I want to show my daughter I am using it as it was a gift but sure seems like Roku has this thing beat.

Due to rising costs since TWC became Spectrum, we're looking at cutting the cord and going with PS Vue and Cincinnati Bell fioptics for internet. Currently, we're in the fourth day of the PS Vue trial, and aside from some choppiness the first thing, everything else has been fine. We're currently streaming using the only eligible device we have (2016 Roku streaming stick), but based on what I've read, if you're going to commit to a streaming service for live TV and want the most stable picture and least buffering, you want to use a hardwired connection. That would require moving our modem and router to the TV room (there's no logical place for them to go in that room, but I'm sure we could find one) and buy a new device that offers an Ethernet port (Roku Ultra, Apple TV or PS4 would be the most likely). Can anyone weigh in on whether the hardwired performance makes enough of a difference to warrant the trouble and cost?

Boss, what kind of router you running? "n" is pretty much the standard. but a lot of devices now support the faster "ac". The newest Roku stick does and it's $49.99. So you might want to try that. Are you using the router that came from Bell Fioptics? If so do you know the protocol it's using?

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Due to rising costs since TWC became Spectrum, we're looking at cutting the cord and going with PS Vue and Cincinnati Bell fioptics for internet. Currently, we're in the fourth day of the PS Vue trial, and aside from some choppiness the first thing, everything else has been fine. We're currently streaming using the only eligible device we have (2016 Roku streaming stick), but based on what I've read, if you're going to commit to a streaming service for live TV and want the most stable picture and least buffering, you want to use a hardwired connection. That would require moving our modem and router to the TV room (there's no logical place for them to go in that room, but I'm sure we could find one) and buy a new device that offers an Ethernet port (Roku Ultra, Apple TV or PS4 would be the most likely). Can anyone weigh in on whether the hardwired performance makes enough of a difference to warrant the trouble and cost?
    First, yes, a wired connection is always faster than wireless, but that isn't always relevant. Unless you have an old wireless router, it will very likely be faster than your internet download speeds. How do you gauge your internet download speeds? Well, you can't go by what the providers say, because they are liars and kooks. For instance, Cincinnati Bell says their 1 Gbps plan is 20x faster than the fastest internet that Spectrum offers, but I have a 400 Mbps service from Spectrum. None of the providers' specs mean anything.

Personally, I would start with wireless and just try it for a month. Depending on the operating conditions and how many devices are being used, there will always be some latency, but unless you had a wired TV sitting next to a wireless TV, you would never notice. Heck, even two TVs in a bar connected to the same cable service will display different latencies. You will be be more concerned with buffering and jittering, but I honestly don't think you are going to have an issue with high speed internet and a modern router (which you will get from CB). Even then, if you find that you would still like one TV that offered the best picture possible, just run an Ethernet cable under the floor or wherever to the new TV from where your wireless router is set up. I really doubt it won't have wired ports.

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-27-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    This is a two part question, even if you weren't aware that it was.

I tried Cincinnati Bell Fioptics for the internet for a few days. In my neighborhood, the absolute fastest speeds they could offer were for the "30 MbPS" tier. I was barely getting 20. And it simply wasn't enough. Before you make that switch, be sure to specify with them what speeds are available in your neighborhood. While they tout Gigabit with their fiber optics, that's not available in a lot of places.

I switched back to Spectrum with a quickness. For $65 a month I'm getting 230 MbPS download speeds (about 23 MB per second). That's hard wired, or at least in the same room, via wifi (I do have my own wireless router, not one they provided). It's fast. It's very, very fast. And that's their lowest tier available. It is far and away faster than you'll need to stream wirelessly, 1080p video to everywhere in your house that you can pick up wifi.

So, be sure to check with CB about what speeds you will actually be getting in your area before making the full switch. But, if you're getting a tier that's going to offer you at least 60-ish MbPS, you should be able to stream without issues all around the house, wirelessly, unless you've got deadspots for your wifi in your home.

19. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-27-2018)

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not a fan of paying for equipment rental, so I intend to use my personal modem and router that I've used with Spectrum with CB. I've confirmed that both are compatible, and I think (hope?) CB's 50 Mpbs plan will suffice. If it isn't, I can always upgrade. They're coming to install fioptics this Wednesday. I have a dual band TP-Link Archer C7 router (it is AC) that's worked well so far. It's a few years old and definitely isn't the best out there, but I believe I could do a lot worse.

I decided to move the modem and router into the room with our primary TV, and that gives me a great signal on both 2.4 and 5 ghz. I have the Roku by itself on the 5 ghz band, and I think I'll likely do what Bernie said and see how that works for the first month. If it becomes obvious the wired connection would make a difference, I'll pull the trigger on a Roku Ultra or PS4. Now that the router has been moved, I wouldn't have to worry about running ethernet cable anywhere if it becomes necessary. I'm hoping the improved signal from moving the router and putting the Roku alone on the faster band may be enough.

Turn Off Ads?