Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 456

Thread: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

  1. #391
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,930

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    To expand, I looked into the data usage a little more - there are days missing at times in some of those months. It was also hilarious to look at the data usage for when I was in Florida for baseball. For the 11 days I was gone, my roommate used about the same as I use in one day..... Though, to be fair, at the time we had cable for tv services (though we still had Netflix/Hulu which I'm sure was used).

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #392
    Member GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    27,357

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    The only times we watch TV, basically stream, is when we come home from work in the evenings, and on the weekends.

    But my wife also likes to fall asleep with the TV on, and that's probably not a good idea now that were streaming only (wasteful/unnecessary)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  4. #393
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,930

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The only times we watch TV, basically stream, is when we come home from work in the evenings, and on the weekends.

    But my wife also likes to fall asleep with the TV on, and that's probably not a good idea now that were streaming only (wasteful/unnecessary)
    I fall asleep with the TV on, too. But I also set a sleep timer so it turns itself off. Of course, I'm streaming through the smart tv apps, which will go off. If you're using a Roku, for example, and you are using the power source in the wall, it will keep streaming the entire time. But, if you use the USB port on the TV to power it, it will turn itself off when the tv goes off if you set the sleep timer.

  5. #394
    Member GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    27,357

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I fall asleep with the TV on, too. But I also set a sleep timer so it turns itself off. Of course, I'm streaming through the smart tv apps, which will go off. If you're using a Roku, for example, and you are using the power source in the wall, it will keep streaming the entire time. But, if you use the USB port on the TV to power it, it will turn itself off when the tv goes off if you set the sleep timer.
    OK, this may be a really stupid question doug, but it wouldn't be the first time from me (LOL) .... I have a Roku Express in our bedroom. It utilizes an AC adapter (wall), doesn't have a USB port, but connects to the TV thru HDMI. If I set the TV timer will it still stream regardless?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  6. #395
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,930

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    OK, this may be a really stupid question doug, but it wouldn't be the first time from me (LOL) .... I have a Roku Express in our bedroom. It utilizes an AC adapter (wall), doesn't have a USB port, but connects to the TV thru HDMI. If I set the TV timer will it still stream regardless?
    I would think so, yes. Though it does depend on what it is that you are streaming. Netflix certainly asks you if you are still watching after so long of no activity. But if you are watching "cable" through whatever app you would get it from, it may. It probably depends on the app itself.

  7. #396
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Hulu live absolutely sucks.

    If you bemoan the lack of a guide on VUE then you'll hate Hulu Live. Also there is no free trial. I signed up Friday, cancelled today but I still have it until November and yes, I'g going to be charged $43 for something i really do not want. Another bad feature of Hulu is if you scroll too fast you get re-set to the beginning of the list. This was a problem with the old Hulu app and continues with the new one. If you select more information or details and click back too fast, back to the beginning you go.

    The price point is really good though. Full Hulu with no commercials plus Hulu live runs you $43, so from a price point alone, this seemed like the service I wanted the most, even though it was missing AMC and MLB TV.

    But the interface makes it a non-starter.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  8. #397
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Oh it gets better...

    So I decide to try the hulu DVR feature, since I have the service for the next month. recorded Lucifer and The Gifted. I got one channel of audio, just the music. no dialog.


    ^%#%$#^%$#$@!
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  9. #398
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,930

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh it gets better...

    So I decide to try the hulu DVR feature, since I have the service for the next month. recorded Lucifer and The Gifted. I got one channel of audio, just the music. no dialog.


    ^%#%$#^%$#$@!
    I haven't checked any other reviews on Hulu Live, but man, this sounds like a crapfest.

  10. #399
    Member GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    27,357

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    I've got HuluPlus, but found something out the other day I didn't know - until I went in the bedroom to watch it, and it said I have exceeded my simultaneous streaming allowance. OK, what does that mean? I can only stream from two devices at the same time. This normally won't be a problem because we only have it in two rooms (living room and bedroom). But my daughter is home on leave and was also watching it, as was my wife in the living room.

    I was SOL until I went in and told one of them to watch something else! And the wife complied
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  11. #400
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've got HuluPlus, but found something out the other day I didn't know - until I went in the bedroom to watch it, and it said I have exceeded my simultaneous streaming allowance. OK, what does that mean? I can only stream from two devices at the same time. This normally won't be a problem because we only have it in two rooms (living room and bedroom). But my daughter is home on leave and was also watching it, as was my wife in the living room.

    I was SOL until I went in and told one of them to watch something else! And the wife complied
    AT&T is coming at me hard to get DirecTVNow. They say the DVR feature should be here in about 2 months.

    If they have DVR and subsidize my cost, $25 off any package per month AND free HBO as long as I have a contract with them, then that's the one.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  12. #401
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    11,638

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    I don't have Vue so I can't vouch for it but Vue came out with a new Roku app. Has a grid. People seem to like it....

    http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/plays...ew-grid-guide/
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  13. #402
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't have Vue so I can't vouch for it but Vue came out with a new Roku app. Has a grid. People seem to like it....

    http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/plays...ew-grid-guide/
    It's a big improvement!
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  14. #403
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    12,896

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Youtube is going be pulled off the Amazon Firestick on Jan 1. I got a message about this last night when I logged onto Youtube via the Firestick. Apparently Amazon and Google are locked into a cyber war over a few things and Google up the ante a little bit yesterday. I'm not happy about this as I watch quite a bit of Youtube using my Firestick. I'll wait a little and see what happens but I may have to go with Roku Stick, Any thoughts about those?


    https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/1...w-nest-devices
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  15. #404
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,930

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Youtube is going be pulled off the Amazon Firestick on Jan 1. I got a message about this last night when I logged onto Youtube via the Firestick. Apparently Amazon and Google are locked into a cyber war over a few things and Google up the ante a little bit yesterday. I'm not happy about this as I watch quite a bit of Youtube using my Firestick. I'll wait a little and see what happens but I may have to go with Roku Stick, Any thoughts about those?


    https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/1...w-nest-devices
    I've got both a Firestick and a Roku stick. They are basically the same thing. They each have their pros and cons. The interface is a little better, in my opinion, on the Roku, but they are fairly similar.

    Amazon and Google are both acting like jerks here. But, I side with Google on this one a little bit more. As a consumer, Amazon is sticking it to you more so than Google is here.

  16. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (12-06-2017)

  17. #405
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    11,638

    Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

    They just came out with a new version of the Roku stick, so if you want the latest/greatest make sure you get the one with the + on the name. If you go for an older version make sure it's the 3800 version not the 3600.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  18. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (12-06-2017)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator