Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Have a Roku 3, Samsung smart TV, and an Amazon Fire TV Stick. I have the Fire TV Stick hooked up to one of our LCD TV's in my wife's office in order for her to access live TV cast from our Slingbox M1 downstairs. I'm going to buy a couple more Fire TV Sticks as it's the only thing I've seen that can access the Slingbox directly rather than needing a cell phone or tablet to act as an intermediary casting device. Didn't know that you could load Kodi on it too. Interesting, as I was waiting for one of our local department stores to deep discount their remaining Ouya consoles to do just that. Hmn...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Chromecast - What do you have? What do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm going to buy a couple more Fire TV Sticks as it's the only thing I've seen that can access the Slingbox directly rather than needing a cell phone or tablet to act as an intermediary casting device.
    I wonder why this is? I don't have slingbox but knew it was available on most devices. I wonder if it's simply that the Fire TV is already an android device, so it doesn't need to use one to cast it? Even if that's the case, why can't they figure out how to make it stream to the other devices?

I just my Xbox 360 which I only use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VUDU, and HBO Go.
    Last edited by R_Webb18; 02-07-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wonder why this is? I don't have slingbox but knew it was available on most devices. I wonder if it's simply that the Fire TV is already an android device, so it doesn't need to use one to cast it? Even if that's the case, why can't they figure out how to make it stream to the other devices?
    Yeah, I dunno. You can download the Slingbox app on the Roku and there are Slingbox tablet and phone apps on google play to use portable devices to cast to Roku and Chromecast, but those apps are $15 each; over 1/3 of the cost of a Fire TV stick. I wish the Slingbox would stream to everything else without needing the tablet/phone middle-man, but it just doesn't (maybe so they can sell more of the pricey portable apps).

I should note that if you're looking at a Slingbox, you'll likely need either a very beefy wireless router (i have a Linksys WRT1900 AC) or go wired. The latter eliminates the Fire stick, but the regular Fire TV supports wired connections.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 02-07-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I just my Xbox 360 which I only use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VUDU, and HBO Go.
    I used to use my Xbox 360, but I wanted something a bit better. The Plex app on XBox costs $5, and even then I've heard it's slightly shaky. I use Plex for almost all of my media (podcasts, my DVD collection is all ripped there, my digital downloads are all there and the small amount of music I have is there as well). The Netflix app is the same on the XBox as it is on the newer Roku's, and maybe it's just my Xbox, but it takes 2-3 minutes to load the thing. That was incredibly annoying. I also really love watching Twit (twit.tv) and they have a Roku Channel, but I can't do that on Xbox. In my bedroom/office I can now work while having it on the TV. Having the ability to use an extended desktop on my laptop onto the TV through the Roku is also a huge feature that I'm loving. Hulu has some shows that are "online only" that I watch. Now I can just open them in a second window on my laptop and watch them full screen on the TV.

I used the Xbox in the bedroom for a long time, and I will miss being able to just talk to the Xbox to get where I need, but for the price the Roku was worth the extra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, I dunno. You can download the Slingbox app on the Roku and there are Slingbox tablet and phone apps on google play to use portable devices to cast to Roku and Chromecast, but those apps are $15 each; over 1/3 of the cost of a Fire TV stick. I wish the Slingbox would stream to everything else without needing the tablet/phone middle-man, but it just doesn't (maybe so they can sell more of the pricey portable apps).

I should note that if you're looking at a Slingbox, you'll likely need either a very beefy wireless router (i have a Linksys WRT1900 AC) or go wired. The latter eliminates the Fire stick, but the regular Fire TV supports wired connections.
    I've heard some good things about the Fire Stick. It's got outstanding hardware in it. I will probably give it a closer look the next time I am in the market for something like that, especially if they upgrade it or more apps become available.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I have an old Roku and two Apple Tvs (two TVs). I'm subscribed to MLB.tv, Hulu and Netflix, which comes out to about $30/month. Dropped the cable.
    Use the Roku for MLB.tv because its controls are better to jump to a certain inning. Also Amazon Prime (which I am also subscribed to, but for the shipping, the video is a plus) doesn't come on the Apple TV.

I have more than enough stuff to watch. The whole family (including kid at college) shares the Hulu and Netflix accounts.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I have an Apple TV. I don't know if it would win any comparison tests (probably not) but it made sense for us, since we've been in the Apple ecosystem ever since the iPhone came out, and we can stream the music/movies we've already bought. But 90% of its use is one of the kids watching Netflix, so it doesn't much matter anyway.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Roku 3 here, with Netflix and Amazon Prime. My kids have only watched "regular" TV at friends or my parents homes. I've conemplated mlb.tv, but I really don't know that I'd watch it much. How much is it?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Roku 3 here, with Netflix and Amazon Prime. My kids have only watched "regular" TV at friends or my parents homes. I've conemplated mlb.tv, but I really don't know that I'd watch it much. How much is it?
    I think its $120 for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think its $120 for the year.
    $129.99 for premium that includes At-Bat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    $129.99 for premium that includes At-Bat.
    Thanks you guys. I am perennially confused with all the options.

So, Premium says choice of home or away feeds. The other option (just MLB.TV) says "Watch every out of market game." Does this mean I can watch Reds home games with Premium? I'm in blackout territory (Brilliant MLB!).

And also, down further on the page, it looks like I need Premium if I want to use it with my Roku.

Thanks you guys. I am perennially confused with all the options.

So, Premium says choice of home or away feeds. The other option (just MLB.TV) says "Watch every out of market game." Does this mean I can watch Reds home games with Premium? I'm in blackout territory (Brilliant MLB!).

And also, down further on the page, it looks like I need Premium if I want to use it with my Roku.
    No,sorry. If you are in the black out area you still can't watch them. I did read something the other day that part of the black outs may be changed. But probably not this year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No,sorry. If you are in the black out area you still can't watch them. I did read something the other day that part of the black outs may be changed. But probably not this year.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. This blackout rule is ridiculous; it is not nearly enough of an incentive for me to drive five hours round trip to see a game. Just make a package and let me pay to see the home games. They are missing a revenue opportunity.

Thanks, that's what I thought. This blackout rule is ridiculous; it is not nearly enough of an incentive for me to drive five hours round trip to see a game. Just make a package and let me pay to see the home games. They are missing a revenue opportunity.
    If I read the fine print correctly... you can still watch the game but not live (90 minutes after). I might just fork over the $130 because even if I attend the game I still watch it the next day (when I had a DVR or RedsLive). Bolded below is what I hate...

Regular Season Local Live Blackout in the U.S. and Canada: All live games streamed on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local, regional or national blackouts. Except for certain MLB regular season and Postseason games as described below or in certain MLB Club home television territories for which MLBAM may offer in-market subscription Services, all live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. If you are an MLB.TV subscriber within an area subject to blackout, the applicable game will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game.

In addition, note:

Home television territory blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club's home television territory.
    U.S. Clubs may also be subject to blackout in parts of Canada based on their home television territory as determined by Major League Baseball.
    All live San Francisco Giants and Oakland Athletics games will be blacked out in the U.S. territory of Guam.
    To find out which Club's live games are blacked out in your current location, click here:
    To find out which Club's live games are blacked out of the area where you will be watching the game, enter the zip code of that area here and click Go:
    Note MLB.com live game blackouts are determined in part by IP address. MLB.com At Bat live game blackouts are determined using one or more reference points, such as GPS and software within your mobile device. The Zip Code search is offered for general reference only.

To look up your current IP Address click here:
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?