Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting News says "(Thom) Brennaman has the voice, but not the substance"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sporting News says "(Thom) Brennaman has the voice, but not the substance"

TSN is reviewing all of the MLB TV announcer teams in a series of columns. Their review of the Reds broadcasts singles out Thom as the weak link. At the end, they rank the Reds' announcers 4th worst in MLB.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...zier-pete-rose

MANUFACTURED TROUBLE

On the second pitch from Rockies starter Jhoulys Chacin, Reds center fielder Skip Schumaker, getting the start in place of Billy Hamilton, gets Cincinnati going.

Here is Brennaman’s call: “That ball is smoked the other way off the bat of Schumaker, and this will be a two-base hit to begin the game – MAYBE MORE THAN THAT! Schumaker now will slam on the brakes. That ball appeared to hit off the wall, and sort of dropped straight down to the ground. And, Schumaker thought momentarily about going to third.”

This is a mess of a call. Brennaman gets caught anticipating the action by saying Schumaker will have a double, then gets way too excited in the split-second when Drew Stubbs has trouble picking up the ball off the warning track in left-center field. This results in an overexcited call of something that is not happening, and a quick backtrack about Schumaker slamming on the brakes. Brennaman’s recap of the bobble also is wrong. The replay shows the ball rolling to the outfield wall, then popping up in the air and falling near Stubbs, who simply winds up having trouble picking it up. Schumaker’s thoughts of going to third base are abandoned before he even reaches second – the center field camera clearly shows him able to see the action unfolding in left-center as he approaches the base, and his turn at second base is not even particularly wide.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 02-02-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: fixed spacing in the quote
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sporting News says "(Thom) Brennaman has the voice, but not the substance"

I'm not the least bit surprised by this. Thom Brennaman is, by far, the most difficult member of the broadcast team to listen to. The only thing Marty has saving him is his superb way of calling a game and describing various plays when he decides that he might like to do that. Otherwise, there's way too much additional blather and definitely, way too much crankiness anymore. This is likely considered heresy in this town, but it's probably time to move on from the Brennamans era.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-03-2015),cumberlandreds (02-03-2015),gilpdawg (02-03-2015),kbrake (02-03-2015),KronoRed (02-05-2015),LoganBuck (02-03-2015),mth123 (02-03-2015),paintmered (02-03-2015),Raisor (02-03-2015),Red Raindog (02-03-2015),RedlegJake (02-03-2015),REDREAD (02-03-2015),RedsManRick (02-03-2015),Ron Madden (02-06-2015),TRF (02-03-2015)

They actually ranked Brennaman/Walsh 7th worst, Grande/Walsh 4th worst.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

6. Likes:

Chuckie (02-03-2015)

And in other news, the sky is blue.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-03-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    And in other news, the sky is blue.
    Weird night sky you guys are having in Indy tonight, George....

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-03-2015)

Which isn't surprising considering muting the TV broadcast and listening to the radio broadcast is actually a thing many Reds fans are known to do.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I rank the writer of the article, Jesse Spector, 3rd worst writer at TSN since 1998. Yea, yea... I do not know all the writers. But I too can give an opinion like Jesse Spector. An opinion that does not really mean much nor have much substance. Show me announcer OPS+ and all that.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Not much we didn't already know. Thom is very good doing baseball. He is much better suited for football. I think we all know why he is here too. It will be interesting to see what the Reds do with after Marty does retire.

I pretty much agree with their rankings at the top end. Dodgers and Giants by far have the best announcers. When Scully isn't doing the Dodger games,Steiner and Hershiser are pretty darn good. The Mets are good without Hernandez. When he's doing the games it brings down their broadcast quite a bit. It seems like the best are out west though. A's are very good too and I still like to hear Dick Enberg with the Padres.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't really disagree with those rankings. IMO the biggest thing Marty has going for him is rather simple. His voice is the voice in our heads for our childhoods. It brings back the memories of those glorious teams of the past and the carefree summers of our youth. Outside of that...none of the announcers stand out at all IMO.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-03-2015),dfs (02-03-2015),REDREAD (02-03-2015),WrongVerb (02-05-2015)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't really disagree with those rankings. IMO the biggest thing Marty has going for him is rather simple. His voice is the voice in our heads for our childhoods. It brings back the memories of those glorious teams of the past and the carefree summers of our youth. Outside of that...none of the announcers stand out at all IMO.
    Except us really old gas bags that remember Waite Hoyt

😎
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

17. Likes:

Driver62 (02-04-2015),Roy Tucker (02-03-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (02-03-2015)

Thom should only do football
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I rank the writer of the article, Jesse Spector, 3rd worst writer at TSN since 1998. Yea, yea... I do not know all the writers. But I too can give an opinion like Jesse Spector. An opinion that does not really mean much nor have much substance. Show me announcer OPS+ and all that.
    Ok, but what do you think about the broadcast teams?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

20. Likes:

westofyou (02-03-2015)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Thom should only do football
    Or pair himself with Skip Bayless on ESPN and do nothing but drop Hot Takes all morning.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

22. Likes:

kbrake (02-03-2015),Raisor (02-03-2015),Tom Servo (02-03-2015)

It's odd, but 90% of the time, I am not bugged or irritated by any of the Reds' announcers - either on TV (Thom, Walsh) or radio (Marty, Cowboy). Occasionally, some of the other guys they bring in tend to work on my nerves, but the regular crews are OK in my book. The play-by-play is fine to me. And the homerism doesn't bother me in the least. The criticisms aimed at Thom Brennaman in that Sporting News article could probably be honestly written about two-thirds of the broadcast teams in baseball.

The interesting thing about Thom is that there is a lot of folks around sports who dislike him, but there are also a lot of folks who do like him and his work. Truth be told, if the Reds ever let Thom go, he will most likely wind up in the announcer's booth of one of those teams rated at the very top of the list. He will land on his feet and quickly be hired by somebody.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Can YOU believe that?

THAT is UNbelieveable!!

No, not really unbelievable at all, Thom has the pipes, but is a paper tiger of a baseball guy, no news there, has as much soul as an episode of American Idol.

25. Likes:

919191 (02-03-2015),Always Red (02-03-2015),Big Klu (02-03-2015),Chip R (02-03-2015),paintmered (02-03-2015),Raisor (02-03-2015),redsmetz (02-03-2015),RichRed (02-03-2015),terminator (02-03-2015),The Operator (02-03-2015),Tom Servo (02-03-2015)

Turn Off Ads?