Re: Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

I still root for Maurice Clarett.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I still root for Maurice Clarett.
    Apparently he is on pace to get his degree. I am happy that Clarett has turned his life around and has become a positive and contributing member of society.

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-10-2015),Kingspoint (02-10-2015),Redsfaithful (02-10-2015),Revering4Blue (02-21-2015),traderumor (02-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This was very enlightening. I am convinced.
    Avery Atkins says "Hi"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Apparently he is on pace to get his degree. I am happy that Clarett has turned his life around and has become a positive and contributing member of society.
    Who isn't earning a degree these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Avery Atkins says "Hi"
    College football is rather unsavory right now, all big time programs have their bad apples. Not sure what you're trying to prove by bringing up a particular example.

And just a general comment on your posts, there's a difference between being strident and being right.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    College football is rather unsavory right now, all big time programs have their bad apples. Not sure what you're trying to prove by bringing up a particular example.

And just a general comment on your posts, there's a difference between being strident and being right.
    My point is Urban isn't the saint OSU fans want to claim he is. Florida's program was run by criminals. Murderers. But if they could play the game, it didn't matter. Urban gave 2nd, 3rd. . multiple chances to guys who didn't deserve it. I followed SEC recruiting/ state of Florida recruiting for about 10 years. I basically stopped because it was getting so bad with the stories of negative recruiting you heard and the tactics people like Urban did. Was he the only one? Nah, but he was certainly one of the best at those tactics. Great coach, but terrible person. He's basically on the same level as Bobby Petrino.

My point is Urban isn't the saint OSU fans want to claim he is. Florida's program was run by criminals. Murderers. But if they could play the game, it didn't matter. Urban gave 2nd, 3rd. . multiple chances to guys who didn't deserve it. I followed SEC recruiting/ state of Florida recruiting for about 10 years. I basically stopped because it was getting so bad with the stories of negative recruiting you heard and the tactics people like Urban did. Was he the only one? Nah, but he was certainly one of the best at those tactics. Great coach, but terrible person. He's basically on the same level as Bobby Petrino.
    I'd largely agree. I think a considerable portion of the OSU fanbase misses the avuncular James Tressel, but, frankly, he wasn't able to compete with the LSUs, Floridas and Alabamas of the world. So, AD Gene Smith went out and got someone who had proven he could compete on that level (and dive into the mud).

But let's not kid ourselves, big time college football is not a morality competition and hasn't been for a while. If you're going to field a D1A/FCS football team, it seems to me you should either play for keeps or fold it up like the Chicago Maroons. That purgatory in the middle is for the glibly righteous, like the Domers (and even they have their black eyes).

10. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (02-10-2015),villain612 (02-18-2015)

I know a lot of Osu fans and literally none of them think Meyer is a saint.

I think most people view Urban Meyer as a big dog. No moral victories are awarded for losing to Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc.

If you follow recruiting, you know that this is piddlywinks, penny ante stuff.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-10-2015),villain612 (02-18-2015)

So, other than the whining when Urban nabbed a few decommits from Wisconsin and MSU when he took the job, this Weber deal is the first sniff of questionable recruiting tactics currently being used, and that is turning out to be little more than High School melodrama. That seems relevant at this point, more than your ranting about his Florida days.

BTW, your argument about how Ohio State fans feel is at the level of the recruiting scum rankings as far as being supportable. It appears to be barstool rambling to me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-13-2015),Kilgore_Trout (02-10-2015)

Someone should change the thread title to "(Current National Champions)" instead of "(defending National Champions)". Looks and sounds better.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was thinking about this some more, and one thing that occurred to me is how many issues there are at whatever program is in control in Florida. Whichever program is on top seems to have a lot of issues in and around the program. Currently it's Florida St. It has been Florida, Miami. Seems to be the cost of doing business. Perhaps Urban couldn't do it anymore.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

But it doesn't take away from the fact that Urban is scum with the type of players he recruited to Gainesville, the way he left Gainesville, and now the way he's continuing to do the same things he's always done.
    I've lived in Florida for 7 years now and I am comfortable in saying that Gator fans do not deserve someone with Meyer's talent at their school. Most obnoxious and unappreciative fanbase I've ever seen. Not sure how you could have ill will towards a guy who won you two national championships, recruited a Heisman trophy winner, and left you a top ten recruiting class on his way out the door in 2011.

Meyer could retire tomorrow and Buckeye fans would be grateful for what he's done here in 3 seasons. I don't know any Ohio State fans who would call him a "saint" but as others have stated, he plays for keeps - like all big time FBS programs must do.
    Last edited by villain612; 02-18-2015 at 04:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Toledo Blade/David Briggs
    Miller recently began throwing a football for the first time since undergoing surgery in August. Twice a week, he sends Whitfield video of his throwing sessions, which have advanced to include long toss. <emphasis mine>

Asked if Miller would be full strength by the start of fall camp in August — a timetable widely considered ambitious — Whitfield said, “Oh, yeah, that’s very realistic. When the summer hits, and those guys begin summer workouts [in June], he'll be 100 percent.”

“He's looking stronger, getting more and more fluid,” Whitfield said. “I just love the progress he's making.”

Even if Braxton gets healthy I don't see him being the full time starter, but he also will play a lot in some capacity. Too talented and athletic to keep off the field.

Between Braxton, JT, Cardale, Jalin, Zeke and Dontre....OSU is going to be really good on 3rd down next year.

Turn Off Ads?