Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redzone's #27 prospect for 2015?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aldazora, Argenis

0 0%
  • Amaral, Beau

1 2.94%
  • Armstrong, Mark

1 2.94%
  • Astin, Barrett

0 0%
  • Boyles, Ty

0 0%
  • Chacin, Alejandro

0 0%
  • Cisco, Drew

0 0%
  • Constante, Jacob

0 0%
  • Crook, Narciso

0 0%
  • Daal, Carlton

13 38.24%
  • Duran, Juan

0 0%
  • Elizalde, Sebastian

3 8.82%
  • Font, Wilmer

0 0%
  • Franklin, Kevin

0 0%
  • Gelalich, Jeff

0 0%
  • Garcia, Kevin

0 0%
  • Gonzalez, Carlos

0 0%
  • Guillon, Ismael

2 5.88%
  • Hunter, Brian

0 0%
  • Kivel, Jeremy

3 8.82%
  • Klimesh, Ben

0 0%
  • Langfield, Dan

3 8.82%
  • LaMarre, Ryan

0 0%
  • Magill, Matt

0 0%
  • Maron, Cam

0 0%
  • Marquez, Soid

0 0%
  • Matthews, Jon

0 0%
  • Medina, Reydel

0 0%
  • O'Grady, Brian

0 0%
  • Ortiz, Jose

0 0%
  • Perez, Juan

0 0%
  • Rachal, Avain

0 0%
  • Rahier, Tanner

1 2.94%
  • Reynoso, Jonathan

0 0%
  • Rosa, Gabriel

0 0%
  • Rogers, Sharky

0 0%
  • Sampson, Kevvius

0 0%
  • Selsky, Steve

0 0%
  • Silva, Juan

4 11.76%
  • Silverio, Juan

0 0%
  • Siri, Jose

0 0%
  • Somsen, Layne

1 2.94%
  • Stephens, Jackson

0 0%
  • Thompson, Cory

0 0%
  • Tromp, Chadwick

0 0%
  • Varner, Seth

0 0%
  • Walden, Marcus

0 0%
  • Washington, Ty

0 0%
  • Weiss, Zack

2 5.88%
  • Wright, Dan

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Redszone Annual Prospect Poll #27

2015 Redszone Annual Prospect Poll #27

Daniel Corcino takes spot #26, an 11 spot drop from last year, as his projection keeps dropping. Now for spot #27. Added Ismael Guillon back on with the announcement he's been retained to AAA.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2015 Redszone Annual Prospect Poll #27

Daal doesn't do anything well, don't get it. IMO, hes not in the top 35

4. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (02-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Puts the bat on the ball fairly well. We'll see if his training room athleticism turns into defense. He wore down a bit in his first year in full season ball. It will be interesting to see if he holds up better in 2015.

Anyway, I don't get knocking Daal for having tools that don't translate while voting for Kivel, who has a fastball that doesn't translate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

mace (02-14-2015)

Starting to wonder about Magill at this point...don't really know much about him.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    He's a potential quality defender up the middle who can put the bat on the ball. In the late 20's? Yeah, I'll take that.

9. Likes:

New Fever (02-15-2015),nmculbreth (02-14-2015)

I'll stump for Juan Silva, to my mind, the least wart-y of the remaining candidates.

He's a 23-year-old CF who went .310/.421/.858 in Bakersfield last summer and has a career .272/.383/.797 slash line. He's also stolen bases at a pretty good clip.

How that doesn't beat out a SS prospect with glove and plate issues or a pitcher who has shown nothing aside from a 99 MPH fastball is beyond me.

11. Likes:

joshua (02-21-2015),marcshoe (02-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'll stump for Juan Silva, to my mind, the least wart-y of the remaining candidates.

He's a 23-year-old CF who went .310/.421/.858 in Bakersfield last summer and has a career .272/.383/.797 slash line. He's also stolen bases at a pretty good clip.

How that doesn't beat out a SS prospect with glove and plate issues or a pitcher who has shown nothing aside from a 99 MPH fastball is beyond me.
    I agree with what you are seeing, but the Reds seem to be treating him as more an organizational player than a prospect. Some posters with more knowledge than I seem to be indicating so as well. Without those signals, I'd have him on the fringe of the top 10. Because of the seeming lack of push from the Reds, I have him at 30.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

BillDoran (02-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

I'd argue that Silva has had to fight in the minor leagues to start every day in the outfield despite the fact that he can play all three spots. Don't get me wrong, I like Silva, but he's struggled to even be a starter at the minor league level. Not that I have too much of an issue ranking him here. I've got him lower, but I get the appeal to put him here.

With Kivel,he's more than just a big fastball. Plenty of work to do, but he's got more than just the fastball.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (02-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'd argue that Silva has had to fight in the minor leagues to start every day in the outfield despite the fact that he can play all three spots. Don't get me wrong, I like Silva, but he's struggled to even be a starter at the minor league level. Not that I have too much of an issue ranking him here. I've got him lower, but I get the appeal to put him here.
    I've Elizalde ahead of Silva. They're my next two. Yet I dig that Silva keeps fighting his way off the bench and delivering. He might be better suited to deliver as a 4th-5th OF in the majors than guys like Yorman, Ervin and Waldrop. OB, defense and speed on demand is a fairly attractive package. Obviously we'll need to see whether he can carry the OB forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With Kivel,he's more than just a big fastball. Plenty of work to do, but he's got more than just the fastball.
    What of his secondary offerings have the most potential? Last year it seemed his location was off with everything and his secondary stuff wasn't ready for the PL, at least that was the impression that I got. Yet I'm curious if you think he's got a 2nd pitch that might materialize in 2015.
    Last edited by M2; 02-14-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

marcshoe (02-14-2015)

Hope here is that Silva is the OF version of Ryan Hanigan. A guy nobody had on the radar who stuck with it, got to the big leagues and became a valuable tandem player. The Reds need more of those. This team has a had too many 25th man types filling the bench and not enough part time starter types who add real depth to the line-up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-14-2015)

I agree that the Reds have been treating Silva as an organizational player and not as if they regard him to be a top prospect. I've voted him the last three rounds or so and my thesis for putting him a little higher than most is based on two things. He may have been in the middle of a major breakout last year that would have caused the org. to reconsider the way they've regarded him (then, in an unfortunate and particularly untimely way, got hurt). Here are his Apr. May and June of last year (all full months): .653, 833, 1.178. I also like the progress he has been making on K to W ratio over the last three years: 2012: 109 K/69W; 2013: 76 K/61W; 2014: 49K/48W. Obviously what he does this year is crucial.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (02-14-2015)

I like Silva and think he SHOULD be considered a prospect, but with the way he has been used, I'm getting a feeling the Reds don't agree. He might be stuck on the Roberto Petagine career path.

Carlton Daal: No Power + No Walks + No Glove = Non-Prospect

21 years old and 160 pounds. One home run and 10 doubles in his minor league career. Career 0.048 ISO. 43 errors in 113 games.

He also has a strange, unorthodox running style that is not going to translate into good speed in the majors. He just isn't that athletic despite his slight build.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-14-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Silva is a much better prospect than Daal. Silva doesn't have much power either but hits the ball much harder than Daal does. At 190 pounds he has a chance to add more power. He has a contact oriented swing but also takes plenty of walks. He is one of the few players who has made strong progress in reducing his strikeout rate. He steals lots of bases. Now 24 years old he has yet to play above the A+ level, having played at Bakersfield the last two seasons and he was not an everyday player. Silva's future rests heavily on his glove. If he can provide superior defense in center field he could have a major league career. His OBP-oriented bat would be adequate if he could be a really good fielder, which remains to be seen. The poor power eliminates him from consideration for a corner outfield job. He needs to take a really big step forward this year at Pensacola (if given the opportunity) to give himself a chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Carlton Daal: No Power + No Walks + No Glove = Non-Prospect

21 years old and 160 pounds. One home run and 10 doubles in his minor league career. Career 0.048 ISO. 43 errors in 113 games.

He also has a strange, unorthodox running style that is not going to translate into good speed in the majors. He just isn't that athletic despite his slight build.
    The no glove part simply isn't correct.

The speed thing isn't correct either.

The athletic thing also isn't correct.

Turn Off Ads?