Turn Off Ads?

Thread: favorite hiking areas

favorite hiking areas

My wife and i recently did some day hikes in The Smokies. This a picture on Valentine's Day of a partially frozen Ramsey Cascades in the park. It was an eight mile round trip rated strenuous. The terrain varied from steady gravel uphill climb to ice and snow as the elevation changed. What are some Redszoners favorite hikes?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-23-2015),RedTeamGo! (02-23-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: favorite hiking areas

Linville Gorge in western North Carolina.

Parts of The Last of Mohicans was filmed there, the first Hunger Games movie was filmed down the road to give an idea of how beautiful the area is.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-23-2015),redhawkfish (02-23-2015)

I do some day hiking now and then in the Deam Wilderness. This is 12,000 acres on the south side of Lake Monroe, eleven miles from my house. The Hoosier has a lot of good day hiking spots, best in the fall, IMO. It's about 2.5 hours from Cincinnati. And if you're into mountain biking, the area is a mecca.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev3_017286.pdf

You may even run into one of these (pic taken by DNR webcam):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catpark.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	8682
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-23-2015),redhawkfish (02-24-2015)

Deer Creek Canyon just outside of Denver. It's less than 20 minutes from my house. I'm a lucky guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	8686Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	8687Click image for larger version. 

Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	8688Click image for larger version. 

Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	8689
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-24-2015),redhawkfish (02-24-2015)

Mineral King in Sequoia

Point Reyes in NoCal

Surveyors Ridge on Mt Hood

Porcupine Rim in Moab

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-24-2015)

Gorgeous, stuff. One thing that keeps me from doing much hiking is that it's just kind of boring. I know that sounds like a total cop out, but honestly, even though forests here can be very nice and even remote in some ways, it's not like hiking in the west, or in the Adirondacks or the Appalachians. There are pockets of very interesting terrain but it's often a small part of the trip.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Gorgeous, stuff. One thing that keeps me from doing much hiking is that it's just kind of boring. I know that sounds like a total cop out, but honestly, even though forests here can be very nice and even remote in some ways, it's not like hiking in the west, or in the Adirondacks or the Appalachians. There are pockets of very interesting terrain but it's often a small part of the trip.
    I agree totally. That is why we try to get to the Smokies when we can! I hike Shawnee and Zaleski forests here in Ohio. They are both nice, but no real payoffs such as gorgeous views or waterfalls. Hocking has nice scenery but has really short hikes.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

14. Likes:

SunDeck (02-24-2015)

Turn Off Ads?