Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Roster Battles

Spring Training Roster Battles

I'm sick of reading about Latos' comments and Marty's comments and all that stuff.

Time to focus in on the spring training decisions the team will make. Maybe this thread can be used to update those battles as ST continues, if the moderators so wish.

The starting 8 position players are set, barring injury. Nothing to discuss there.

1. Rotation spots. Two are clearly up for grabs. Maybe a third temporarily if Bailey won't be ready. Main candidates would seem to be Desclafini, Cingrani, Iglesias, Marquis, Maholm, Holmberg, Axelrod.

2. Bullpen spots. Chapman, Lecure, Badenhop, Parra, Diaz would seem to be locks if healthy. Two spots would remain. Prime candidates IMO are Hoover (a lock?), Gregg, Maholm, Mijares, Iglesias (if in pen). Others like Contreras, Magill, Sampson would seem to have outside shots IMO.

3. Bench spots. Schumaker, Pena are locks. That leaves three spots. I'd consider Suarez and Negron near locks. The remaining spot is up in the air. Lot of candidates, likely Dominguez, Lutz, Boesch, Perez, Bourgeois, Satin, DeJesus main guys. Third catcher, Barnhart, with some small chance, I'd guess.

Guessing Dominguez, Boesch, Bourgeois main candidates, but that's just me, everyone has a different view.

Please add names if I'm leaving out anyone significant.

Let's see how this evolves.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (02-27-2015),REDREAD (03-04-2015),TRF (02-27-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Spring Training Roster Battles

I fully think Jon Moscot has a legitimate shot at the rotation. Especially if Homer is going to miss the first couple of weeks of the season.

Truthfully I don't see a whole lot of competition.

I think Cingrani and Iglesias are the two guys with a sizable advantage for the rotation.

I think the starting 8 are set with maybe a competition at SS, although I think Suarez is the backup to start the season. Negron, Pena, Schumacker and Suarez should be on the bench leaving one slot open.

As for the pen I would move Hoover into a lock and Diaz as a question mark. If, huge if, Marshall is healthy he will make the club. I would imagine if Gregg has anything in the tank he will make the roster out of ST.

I don't see why both Schumaker and Negron are locks. I believe we will see Suarez and one of those two, but not all three. And Suarez is a lock in my book.

Negron has more positional flexibility, and could even be the CF backup (much like Skip was hoped to be when brought it). This would allow the team to carry a true 1B/3B backup in Satin and a lefty OF in Boesch.

Schumaker was, in his "prime", a better situational bat vs. righties, but at this point we have to ask if he does any one thing good enough to warrant a roster spot.

On the rotation, I was interested in Price's list of those throwing well this spring. If Marquis--whom he listed--has adequate velocity--90-91--I look for him to challenge for a rotation spot. Not exciting I know, but he would bring a lot of experience.

I think Suarez goes back to play every day in AAA. He's still young and does not have many AAA ABs. I'd think they'd want him getting regular playing time, in case Cozart shows his bat is not improving. I'm guessing Negron will be the backup SS.

9. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-05-2015),GADawg (02-28-2015),HeatherC1212 (03-04-2015),mth123 (02-27-2015),REDREAD (03-04-2015)

I can't believe Jason Marquis is still bumping around the league.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

I think Lutz will get a chance because he is out of options.

12. Likes:

mace (02-27-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (02-27-2015)

I think people might be sleeping on Maholm, last year was the first year he pitched in relief and first year he didn't put up a positive WAR. If he's his normal self he could slot nicely into the back of the rotation if the Reds wanted to give any of the younger guys additional seasoning in AAA.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Well...Reds fans love to watch HR's fly out of the park, so I imagine Jason Marquis would be one of the best options in camp to generate more power in the offense...of the other teams...I think it really comes down to Maholm, Cingrani, Descalfani and Iglesias (I hope). There should be a battle for the SS job; there won't be in spring training, but there should be. Negron adds so much flexibility to the roster; with how hard he played at the end of the year last year and his flexibility, I can't imagine him not making the roster. That should allow the Reds to carry Boesch IMHO. I think Schumaker will be on the roster; whether he should be or not is a whole different question. Bullpen...I hope Marshall is healthy...I would like to think that Hoover and Diaz are never locks for any MLB bullpen....

Bum

I do believe Schumaker is a lock. I'll go further and say an absolute lock, subject only to health. He's a signed, veteran, salaried guy. They aren't cutting him, they aren't paying him for AAA. He's a Jocketty guy, played hurt last year. He could get traded. But otherwise, he's a lock IMO. Negron a near lock, benefits from a great September showing. Protects several positions.

As for Marshall, I should have mentioned him in the OP, my assumption is he's beginning on the DL.

I agree with Tom Servo, I believe Maholm will be on the team. I think in the Reds' bullpen to begin the season, the second lefty after Parra. He could also start given all the openings, but I think he makes the ball club.

FWIW, if healthy, I'm predicting Gregg makes it too, but it's very early for too many final predictions.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-27-2015 at 12:00 PM.

16. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (02-27-2015)

One guarantee - a Jocketty Special worthless bench is a certainty.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-27-2015 at 07:47 PM.

I see Cingrani as a lock if he's healthy all spring. I think Desclafini is also a lock. I've read Homer is expected to be in the rotation by mid April, so I think mid May is more likely. It will be interesting to see who rises to the top to grab that spot. IMO it is Axelrod, and he goes to the pen once Homer returns.

Suarez will bear watching this spring. By us and Zack Cozart.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'm not positive Suarez is a lock. If the decision is to give Cozart another shot and Suarez is the guy waiting in the wings, then I think regular playing time is in order and Suarez still very young.

Starting 8: Hamilton, Frazier, Votto, Mesoraco, Bruce, Byrd, Phillips and Cozart (weak! Counting the pitcher I see 4 holes in this line-up even if most of the big stuff goes right).
    5 Man Bench: Pena, Skippy, Negron, Bourgeois and Boesch (atrocious!)
    Starting 5: Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Desclafani and Cingrani (OK, but I don't like Cingrani going through a line-up 3 times)
    7 Man Bullpen: Chapman, Diaz, Badenhop, Parra, Lecure, Mijares and Axelrod, (a late inning arm short)

What I'd like to see (and I know that the Reds are probably not considering doing anything like any of this):
    1. Somebody step up and win a rotation spot to push Cingrani to the pen with Parra dealt. (This player is probably already in camp).
    2. A MI who can get on base against RHP, who becomes the 2 day per week starter at SS in tandem with Suarez while also giving Phillips more time off against RHP. Cozart dealt away. (Target: Marwin Gonzalez of Houston, I don't see an internal option though I'd have been fine keeping Ramon Santiago for this role.)
    3. A legit lefty hitting 4th OF who can tandem with Byrd and be the primary LH bench bat and Skippy sent packing. (Targets: Daniel Nava, David Dejesus, David Peralta, Will Venable. Best internal option is probably Lutz or Boesch and I don't like either. Guessing Skippy fits in this role, ugh!).
    4. A RH bench bat who can be the primary RH PH. A guy who can fit in CF and RF as options for Bruce and Hamilton when they need a day off would seem logical. (Targets: Scott Van Slyke, Cameron Maybin if the Pads eat some money, Shane Victorino if the Sox eat even more money. Best internal option is probably Y-Rod and I could see this being his long term role as Heisey's replacement but doubt it happens on opening day. The team may end up missing Heisey here. Just say no to Jason Bourgeois.)
    5. Pena sticks as back-up catcher and Negron stays as 25th man who can PR, defend at 6 positions and hopefully no bigger role than that. I don't really like any of the other internal bench options. If Suarez doesn't have a regular role, he needs to play every day in AAA IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-28-2015 at 01:35 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Kevin1476 (03-14-2015)

Turn Off Ads?