Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Waivers and Wily Mo's contract

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Help me be a more informed 'Zoner, Reds fan, and baseball fan

Not a shot at anyone, just an observation.

I've seen WMP's contract discussed about 50 time here. I understand why, lots of things are confusing until you have them explained to you so many posters ask why he can't just rework his contract.? (I did this about 2 years ago, and I see this question pretty much monthly since then)

We have posters coming and going and new posters all the time so I understand why this happens. Its not that I am annoyed with it, its that I think we could help our fellow 'zoners become more informed fans.

Why not create a thread for these oft questioned (and repeated) pieces of information and put it in the archives?

I think it'd be simple enough, post a thread ...
    "Archives - WMP Contract"
    1) We all post until we are satisfied we have all the correct info.
    2) One poster gathers the info into one post and its placed into the archives. If someone finds a whole in the logic, we update it.
    3) Rinse, wash, repeat

The Threads I would like to see are ...

1) WMP contract
    2) Roster Moves - Options, outright, purchased contract of, released, waived, DL
    3) Rule V draft
    4) Arbitration (eligibility, process, etc.)
    5) Free Agency ( compensation for signed, etc)
    6) 10-5 guys
    7) 25 man roster, 40 man roster
    8) 15 Day DL, 60 Day DL
    9) SABR (whats WHIP, hows it calculated, etc)

... and I am sure there are more. I know I can't remember the ins and outs of all these all the time, so I'd love to have them at my fingertips.

Does anybody want to tackle the first one ....

WMP Contract

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Too tired. But I'll give it a shot in the next couple days. Some of this is one Jax's site. http://www.front-office-info.com/
    Stick to your guns.

Thanks Chili, but don't bother, apparently I am in the minority on this one.

GL

HAHa...GL...i wouldnt say ur the minority...im very interested in this stuff...just that...most of us are to lazy....well...me at least
    We'll win it all next year...

Originally posted by bthomasiscool
    HAHa...GL...i wouldnt say ur the minority...im very interested in this stuff...just that...most of us are to lazy....well...me at least
    I'm not lazy, just drunk, fat, and stupid.

And that's no way to go through life.

Hey we saw your picture.

You ain't fat.........................

gonelong, here's a couple of links that should cover most of your questions.

Transactions Link

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Originally posted by Raisor

And that's no way to go through life.
    Are you off your heroine diet again?

Originally posted by Red Storm
    Are you off your heroine diet again?
    Was that an intentional Freudian slip (your misplacing heroin with heroine)?

It's a good one. I'd like to try a diet based on the consumption of female superheroes.
    Stick to your guns.

It's a good one. I'd like to try a diet based on the consumption of female superheroes.
    I tried it... Wonder Woman was great, but stay away from Storm (of the X-men).. getting zapped by lightening during the meal isn't very pleasant.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Originally posted by Chip R
    gonelong, here's a couple of links that should cover most of your questions.

Transactions Link

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html
    Thanks Chip, but I wasn't really asking for me, I was attempting to be dimplomatic.

I have seen those links and have linked them here myself occasionally. The problem is that those links are not 100% correct (unless they have been updated). Redszone posters have hashed those over a few times filling in the corrected data and the minute details. I am simply asking why we don't save those at Redszone on the archive thread for the inevitable questions that come up every time a guy is outrighted, waived, contract is purchased, or the Rule V draft comes around.

I see the same guys answer the same questions about MWPs contract every month or so. I also notice their answers get more abbreviated each time (who can blame them).

All I was saying was, hash it out once, post it in the archives, and point those with the questions to where they can read about it. If they still don't understand then I am sure posters will be more than happy to clarify anything they have missed.

GL

You know it would really help Major League Baseball if they put their official rules of professional baseball online. For some reason they guard it like the holy grail (my personal theory is that they want to limit the number of people who become 'experts' on these complicated rules, so people don't steal their jobs). I think this would really help generate a focus on baseball among the people who care about it most..
    Stick to your guns.

Well, the rules are there, but MLB is a bit too cagey for my tastes with respect to the CBA and some of the more mundane points about the draft, roster management, and so forth.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ba..._the_field.jsp

Originally posted by Redsland
    Well, the rules are there, but MLB is a bit too cagey for my tastes with respect to the CBA and some of the more mundane points about the draft, roster management, and so forth.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ba..._the_field.jsp
    I should have been more clear about that. Major League Baseball has a thick blue spiral bound binder called the "Rules of Professional Baseball." PART of the book contains rules of how to play the game (for umpires etc), and you see that on this site. But the rest of the book contains the rules of waivers, roster management, territories for major league clubs, etc. Some people who work for, or have worked for major league clubs, and I've read through it and taken notes on occassion.

THIS is what I want to be made public.

This is different from the collective bargaining agreement, which is an agreement made with the union. The "Rules of Professional baseball" say something like, 'nothing contained in here supercedes the contents of the collective bargaining agreement.' Basic labor law supports this. Anything agreed upon with a union supercedes any rule made unilaterally by management.

The CBA can be found online, but not thru MLB - through people sharing their own copies.
    Stick to your guns.

Originally posted by gonelong
    What I am saying is lets post this info in the archives so its permanent and easy to find for all. If we find quirks that aren't covered we can add them as we go so we all have the information readily available.
    Well, how about I copy this thread over to the archives and we can use it as a reference point?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?