Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB Network's Top 100 Right Now in 2015

Re: MLB Network's Top 100 Right Now in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    i don't know what that means, and unless you can calculate as well as explain what the calculation means yourself, you shouldn't be using it.

Anyway, what I know is that Cueto has the lowest ERA of any pitcher in baseball over the last 4 years not named Kershaw while pitching half his games in one of baseball's most notorious bandboxes. Is ERA the be all end all of pitcher evaluation? No of course not, but there is something to be said for that achievement. What do think his ERA would be if he pitched in the NL West? Or in Seattle like King Felix? Cueto has been hurt a couple of times, but other than that, the man has been extraordinary...fWAR, pFIP. or Q-Tip not withstanding.
    Those are the categories the list makers are using to make the list. I assume they're using WAR for the performance statistics, though they're probably using WAR + other stats. You can ignore them if you want, but there is a legitimate reason given the criteria the listmakers used to have those pitchers ahead of Cueto.

Again, I'm not saying the guy hasn't been good. But one could argue that others have been better.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    And Kluber didn't even come up until August in one of the three years (2012).
    You're helping me make my point.

As I said earlier, the list seems to contradict itself. It's rewarding guys like Kubler and Harrison for having one strong year, and not doing much before, but punishing Cueto for missing time with an injury. Logic tells me that missing playing time due to an injury shouldn't cost you more than missing playing time because you weren't good enough.

And if this past season is to be weighted so heavily, then why is Molina rated so high? He had an average year last season at best, and was injured, but he's a top 20 guy in the entire MLB right now? I don't have the while lost but it bet I could find quite a few more "huh?" spots.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You're helping me make my point.

As I said earlier, the list seems to contradict itself. It's rewarding guys like Kubler and Harrison for having one strong year, and not doing much before, but punishing Cueto for missing time with an injury. Logic tells me that missing playing time due to an injury shouldn't cost you more than missing playing time because you weren't good enough.

And if this past season is to be weighted so heavily, then why is Molina rated so high? He had an average year last season at best, and was injured, but he's a top 20 guy in the entire MLB right now? I don't have the while lost but it bet I could find quite a few more "huh?" spots.
    Honestly, you've changed your point so much throughout this that I don't even know what it is anymore.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Honestly, you've changed your point so much throughout this that I don't even know what it is anymore.
    My last post in this thread and my first post are almost identical. I've actually been very consistent, unlike this list
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?