Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training cuts

Spring Training cuts

First round of cuts occurs. I am a little surprised that YRod did not stay longer.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2015/...on-among-cuts/
    optioned to Double-A Pensacola: OF Juan Duran;

optioned to Triple-A Louisville: OF Yorman Rodriguez

Reassigned to the minor league camp: RHP Jonathon Crawford, LHP Ismael Guillon, RHP Nick Howard, RHP Robert Stephenson, RHP Nick Travieso, IF Neftali Soto, OF Ryan LaMarre and OF Jesse Winker.

That leaves 54 players in camp

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-10-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training cuts

YRod going down makes it more likely they Boesch makes the opening day roster.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-10-2015),REDREAD (03-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    First round of cuts occurs. I am a little surprised that YRod did not stay longer.

So that's Duran's reward for hitting a GW homer? I don't recall demotions this early in camp other yrs. Is this usually when they start cuts?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Really? He's been the king of the bone-heads this spring thus far. Running with his head down through signs, throwing the ball into the ground from the outfield, and numerous other gaff's that I don't recall. By far the worst player on the field this spring IMO.

On the flip side, I bet a ton of people are jumping up and down that Soto was sent packing.
    94 and winning the division and the NLCS but falling in the WS to Toronto in 6

94 Reds / 86 Cards / 85 Pirates / 76 Cubs / 72 Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't recall demotions this early in camp other yrs. Is this usually when they start cuts?
    It's a little early, but not surprising. Reds just completed their only split-schedule games yesterday, so they will have fewer playing opportunities on a daily basis going forward. And they did open spring with a larger contingent than usual, so they needed to get the spring roster down to a more manageable size. No real shocks in the 10 players designated for first-round cuts. The fact that none were infielders suggests some remaining battles loom there.

9. Likes:

Always Red (03-10-2015)

Reds make first cuts

Yorman, Duran, Stephenson, Crawford, Soto, Travieso, Winker, Guillen, Howard, Lamarre sent down today. Not sure if posted elsewhere.

Of those optioned, YRod was sent to AAA. Duran to AA. I believe Duran has two option years left, Yorman one. Otherwise, guys sent down for reassignment.

Mostly good prospects who were given a taste of big league camp, but were destined for the minors to keep getting ready. Note: Lorenzen seems to have survived the cut.

Feel free to merge with earlier thread on this point, which I just discovered.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-10-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    YRod going down makes it more likely they Boesch makes the opening day roster.
    Only on RedsZone was YRod EVER a serious candidate to make the team out of spring training. Guy has one option year left, obviously needs the seasoning, it would be unwise (stronger word intended) to sit him on the Reds' bench.

I don't think this has anything to do with Boesch. YRod and Boesch were not in competition. Boesch will make the team unless the Reds can find a better candidate - internally or externally - to back up outfield.

The guys cut today were mostly good prospects who were brought to spring training for a dose of experience. IMO they weren't really candidates for the big club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-10-2015 at 06:00 PM.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-11-2015),REDREAD (03-11-2015)

A bit surprised at how quickly YRod was cut. I think it's best for him, though. He could probably use full-time ab's at the AAA level.

Boesch was probably going to make the team regardless.

Even after these cuts, still 29 pitchers in camp and getting ready to finish up the second time through the rotation. Guys are going to start going 4 or 5 innings and finding enough for 29 arms will still be iffy. I bet more come soon.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really? He's been the king of the bone-heads this spring thus far. Running with his head down through signs, throwing the ball into the ground from the outfield, and numerous other gaff's that I don't recall. By far the worst player on the field this spring IMO.

On the flip side, I bet a ton of people are jumping up and down that Soto was sent packing.
    That throw he made the other day was embarrassing. That was enough to send him down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That throw he made the other day was embarrassing. That was enough to send him down.
    That WAS embarrassing, but just an error. The one that screamed "cut" to me was when he was rounding second with his head down not looking at third, the coach OR the runner ahead of him and he kept going to third even though the runner was standing on third. Completely unaware of his surroundings.
    94 and winning the division and the NLCS but falling in the WS to Toronto in 6

94 Reds / 86 Cards / 85 Pirates / 76 Cubs / 72 Brewers

Turn Off Ads?