Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jhoulys Chacin

Jhoulys Chacin

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/...34560646152193

"Rockies announce it has granted right-handed pitcher Jhoulys Chacin his unconditional release."

I believe we might have just found the best option for the Reds' 5th starter.

Stay with me here. Yes, he struggled badly last year- partially due to injuries. He pitched just 63 innings and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA.

However, as recently as 2013, he's thrown 200 innings of low 3's ERA ball. Pitching in Coors Field!!

This made him worth 6 WAR in 2013.

Get this guy away from Coors and he could be a legit middle of the rotation option. He'll probably sign for the league minimum.

He's still pretty young, too (27.) He's definitely worth a shot over proven failure Jason Marquis. IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jhoulys Chacin

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBresser View Post
    https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/...34560646152193

"Rockies announce it has granted right-handed pitcher Jhoulys Chacin his unconditional release."

I believe we might have just found the best option for the Reds' 5th starter.

Stay with me here. Yes, he struggled badly last year- partially due to injuries. He pitched just 63 innings and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA.

However, as recently as 2013, he's thrown 200 innings of low 3's ERA ball. Pitching in Coors Field!!

This made him worth 6 WAR in 2013.

Get this guy away from Coors and he could be a legit middle of the rotation option. He'll probably sign for the league minimum.

He's still pretty young, too (27.) He's definitely worth a shot over proven failure Jason Marquis. IMO.
    Rotator cuff = Toast. The Reds have lots of solid prospects in the upper minors. I don't even want him taking innings away at AAA or AA. Pass.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rotator cuff = Toast. The Reds have lots of solid prospects in the upper minors. I don't even want him taking innings away at AAA or AA. Pass.
    I mean, even with his rotator cuff issue, he still had a better FIP in 2014 than Jason Marquis (pitching at Petco) has had since 2009 while pitching at Coors Field.

He says he feels good. With the other option being Marquis, I'd absolutely take a shot for the league minimum.

I bet the Dodgers will nab him though.

I mean, even with his rotator cuff issue, he still had a better FIP in 2014 than Jason Marquis (pitching at Petco) has had since 2009 while pitching at Coors Field.

He says he feels good. With the other option being Marquis, I'd absolutely take a shot for the league minimum.

I bet the Dodgers will nab him though.
    We'll see. He hasn't regained velocity. If he pitches at all, I'd be surprised. I'm not confident in Marquis, but I can think if a bunch of better options than Chacin in his current condition. I get the great track record, but he's not that guy anymore. Think Sean Marshall here. Was a stud once. Probably will never be again. I'm sure some team will take a chance. The Reds have lots of guys in the pipeline that need the innings instead.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We'll see. He hasn't regained velocity. If he pitches at all, I'd be surprised. I'm not confident in Marquis, but I can think if a bunch of better options than Chacin in his current condition. I get the great track record, but he's not that guy anymore. Think Sean Marshall here. Was a stud once. Probably will never be again. I'm sure some team will take a chance. The Reds have lots of guys in the pipeline that need the innings instead.
    I'd agree with this, actually. But- we know Walt and co. love their veterans.

If its between Chacin and Marquis/Maholm to not embarrass themselves for 50-100 innings, I'll take Chacin every time. Guy looks to be a realistic low-mid 4's ERA with the upside of a decent Number 3 starter (if he heals up better.) Marquis gives you a realistic projection of an ERA over 5 with the downside of being the worst pitcher in baseball and the upside of just being kind of bad.

I'd agree with this, actually. But- we know Walt and co. love their veterans.

If its between Chacin and Marquis/Maholm to not embarrass themselves for 50-100 innings, I'll take Chacin every time. Guy looks to be a realistic low-mid 4's ERA with the upside of a decent Number 3 starter (if he heals up better.) Marquis gives you a realistic projection of an ERA over 5 with the downside of being the worst pitcher in baseball and the upside of just being kind of bad.
    If Chacin becomes an option, it will probably be after the All Star break. By then Stephenson, Moscot, Holmberg, Magill, Sampson, Axelrod, Travieso, Howard and maybe even Garrett and Romano (probably not Romano) may be ready for a look. The Reds need alternatives to Marquis in April and May and Chacin isn't one. Still hoping Marquis goes when Homer returns. Heck, I'm hoping he pitches OK early since he's been throwing more seriously for longer and is ahead of most guys at this point and the Reds can get something for the early season mirage he may present.

The best thing for Joulys Chacin is a deal that lets him rehab with someone's minor league club. His velocity is down, he isn't sharp, and he likely needs another full/half season of building strength before he comes back - if he is going to. I don't see a fit although I see your point Josh. IMO, Marquis is better right now, though I wouldn't be surprised if Chacin us a much better option come late July/August. As mth points out, though, by that time the Reds likely have at least 2 or 3 options younger and even better than Chacin. If Colorado doesn't re-sign him this might be a good opportunity for a team like Philly or Atlanta to stash him against a late summer comeback.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?