Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donnie Joseph released by Marlins..Any takers?

Re: Donnie Joseph released by Marlins..Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You really think it was just the one?

really?

He's a great GM, but he's got his warts like anyone else. When he deals from a position of strength, he's great. That, is his knack, recognizing when his trading partner is at a position of weakness. It's how he got McGwire.

It certainly is not recognizing which prospects to deal. He has people for that.
    Name another. The only other one I can think of is Travis Wood, but he turned out to just have one very lucky year, and was a dud after that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

4. Likes:

Tuff Nut (03-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Name another. The only other one I can think of is Travis Wood, but he turned out to just have one very lucky year, and was a dud after that.
    well, since he's only been gone 3 years... That's kinda harsh. But yes, I'll look into every Jocketty trade.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I suspect Cardinal faithful would say that WJ's best trade didn't involve trading prospects but acquiring one, Wainwright for J.D. Drew.

7. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I suspect Cardinal faithful would say that WJ's best trade didn't involve trading prospects but acquiring one, Wainwright for J.D. Drew.
    If I remember correctly, the key player in that deal at the time going to Saint Louia was none other than Jason Marquis.

If I remember correctly, the key player in that deal at the time going to Saint Louia was none other than Jason Marquis.
    It was Adam Wainwright. It was most definitely Adam Wainwright.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

I think the key player was actually Adam Wainwright but current Redszone favorite Marquis was involved, as was another guy also much loved in RZ: Ray King.

11. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2015)

Dmitri Young for Jeff Brantley
    Luis Garcia and PTBNL (Coco Crisp) for Chuck Finley

Those are pretty much the only other backfiring trades in the St. Louis years.

Which were more than forgiven considering the acquistions of McGwire, Renteria, Edmonds, Rolen, and Wainwright
    Last edited by ac084c; 03-25-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

13. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2015),REDREAD (03-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think the key player was actually Adam Wainwright but current Redszone favorite Marquis was involved, as was another guy also much loved in RZ: Ray King.
    At the time, Wainwright was just a AA prospect. Marquis was a legitimate rotation guy. I'm sure the trade doesn't get made without Wainwright, but Walt was trading offense for a pitcher to put into the rotation. The trade was reported at the time as Drew for Marquis and a top prospect, with King being a throw in. I remember, because my Cardinal fans friends were all saying that it was a fair trade, but the Cards would come out on top, if Wainwright ever turned into an MLB pitcher.

At the time, Wainwright was just a AA prospect. Marquis was a legitimate rotation guy. I'm sure the trade doesn't get made without Wainwright, but Walt was trading offense for a pitcher to put into the rotation. The trade was reported at the time as Drew for Marquis and a top prospect, with King being a throw in. I remember, because my Cardinal fans friends were all saying that it was a fair trade, but the Cards would come out on top, if Wainwright ever turned into an MLB pitcher.
    I just looked back at some articles written after the trade and Wainwright was definitely the headline piece. He was the #1 pitching prospect in the Braves system. You're correct that many Cardinal fans at the time didn't see it that way, but I can guarantee you the knowledgeable ones, along with John Schierholtz and Jocketty knew who was headlining that trade from Atlanta.
    -Rogers Hornsby

16. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2015),HokieRed (03-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post

Which were more than forgiven considering the acquistions of McGwire, Renteria, Edmonds, Rolen, and Wainwright

Thanks, good research.

Crisp is the big one. Good call. Young had a full season of starting under his belt at the time of the trade, not really a prospect. Plus he got duped by Bowden on that trade. Brantley was hurt. Bowden knew it.,but didn't disclose it. One of many examples why Bowden is not loved here in Cincy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Get_The_Knack_album_cover.JPG
    There's an extra layer of irony in that photo you picked, since only 2 of the 4 guys in the band made it to age 60.

Nobody would have guessed that when it was released in 1979.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 03-25-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post

And Bowden lied to Walt about Brantley's health, told Walt Brantley was fine, when he was injured.
    So Walt got burned by trusting Bowden.. a long line of GMs got burned by that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?