Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Reds Win Without RBI? (AKA, Paul Daugherty Embarrasses Himself Again)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Can the Reds Win Without RBI? (AKA, Paul Daugherty Embarrasses Himself Again)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Can the reds win without ever getting on base?
    Reaching on errors don't count as "on-base", so yes, they can.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can the Reds Win Without RBI? (AKA, Paul Daugherty Embarrasses Himself Again)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So you're saying that the Reds do have a chance this year?

4. Likes:

JoshBresser (03-26-2015)

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

One thing I have never figured out is that this whole OBP versus AVG/RBI debate has been going on at least ten years. Moneyball the book was published in 2003, so we're looking at ten or eleven years now. But Bill James was around long before that.

My point is that just about every player growing up in the last ten or twelve years ought to be familiar enough with the principle of OBP, you would think many more younger players would be more selective in pitch recognition. I have heard a lot of lip service given to OBP, but it seems younger players tend to slide toward old school style hitting. Part of that is due to old school hitting coaches, but you would think a great majority of younger players would understand the benefits. What are coaches telling players to get them to abandon OBP?

Let's face it. There is a huge segment of the baseball world who would agree with Brandon Phillips.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think some fans don't appreciate the value of not making outs. Two players who both have the same number of RBI/RS, but one hitter did so while making fewer outs, don't have the same value. The stat OBP really is the inverse of outs made.

Also, having huge BB totals is an indication of greatness because the bottom line is pitchers are scared to throw strikes.

I think my IQ dropped a few points after reading that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

PDoc know football and I enjoy his football pieces. He should just avoid writing about baseball.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I can't believe any of you actually read the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    One thing I have never figured out is that this whole OBP versus AVG/RBI debate has been going on at least ten years. Moneyball the book was published in 2003, so we're looking at ten or eleven years now. But Bill James was around long before that.

My point is that just about every player growing up in the last ten or twelve years ought to be familiar enough with the principle of OBP, you would think many more younger players would be more selective in pitch recognition. I have heard a lot of lip service given to OBP, but it seems younger players tend to slide toward old school style hitting. Part of that is due to old school hitting coaches, but you would think a great majority of younger players would understand the benefits. What are coaches telling players to get them to abandon OBP?

Let's face it. There is a huge segment of the baseball world who would agree with Brandon Phillips.
    It's like these baseball players have never played baseball. They need to get out of their mothers' basements and play a little. It's funner to get on base than it is to make an out.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Can the reds win without ever getting on base?
    Eventually, yes. The other team with the wimpy pitchers will simply forfeit due to being "tired"...bunch of wussies.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize that. I had always just assumed reaching base any way (walk, error, HBP, etc) would count as reaching base. I looked it up and now see it excludes fielders choice, dropped third strikes, obstruction/interference (but the O/I don't count as PA). I guess it makes sense, but the error thing seems kind of "unfair" to speedsters like Hamilton who probably reach base more often by causing rushed throws that result in errors.

As for "do RBIs matter" . . . sure they do. Get em on, get em over, get em in.

I read the comments... I READ THE COMMENTS!!!

it burns. Thank God I am no longer on FB... I might have chimed in.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

15. Likes:

CySeymour (03-26-2015),Raisor (03-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I guess that's why I haven't seen you on face book.

You could let a guy know

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I guess that's why I haven't seen you on face book.

You could let a guy know
    My friend request to you is still pending.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

There are vast seas of ignorance and dreck on social media with a small number of islands of sanity and reason.

I stay away from the ignorance. I don't need to be reminded of how stupid people can be.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?