Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs on Anthony DeSclafani

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Fangraphs on Anthony DeSclafani

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    To be fair, Felix Hernandez (and the majority of guys, really) threw harder as a prospect/young MLer than he does as a 28 year old. If you project DeSclafani as an ace in 4-5 years, he'll probably have to do it throwing 89-91 instead of 92-94.

jvs
    I don't project him as an ace, but the idea that a guy who sits 92-94 and touches 97 doesn't have enough velocity to be a number one is a strange stance to take in my opinion. There aren't many starters who throw harder than that in todays game.

There's a lot more to being a #1 (and for me, a #1 is just one of the 30 best starters - not this fictional idea that there are only 10 #1's in baseball, as if this were 1908 and there were only 10 teams) than pure velocity, but the quote I responded to said he didn't have the prototypical velocity to be a #1 type of guy. He throws as hard as Johnny Cueto does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't project him as an ace, but the idea that a guy who sits 92-94 and touches 97 doesn't have enough velocity to be a number one is a strange stance to take in my opinion. There aren't many starters who throw harder than that in todays game.

There's a lot more to being a #1 (and for me, a #1 is just one of the 30 best starters - not this fictional idea that there are only 10 #1's in baseball, as if this were 1908 and there were only 10 teams) than pure velocity, but the quote I responded to said he didn't have the prototypical velocity to be a #1 type of guy. He throws as hard as Johnny Cueto does.
    How much does Price working with him help?

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    How much does Price working with him help?
    Price doesn't work with the pitchers that much anymore according to his own quotes. His philosophy likely resonates down through the coaching staff but not at the individual instruction level like it did when he was pitching coach
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Disco's K/9 first 14 Reds starts: 6.1

Disco's K/9 last 14 Reds starts: 8.4
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2015),Billy Hamilton's Legs (09-12-2015),Donder (09-14-2015),dougdirt (09-12-2015),Gapper (09-14-2015),Larkin Fan (09-13-2015),marcshoe (09-12-2015),Old school 1983 (09-13-2015),OnBaseMachine (09-13-2015),pahster (09-12-2015),reds1869 (09-13-2015),RedsManRick (09-13-2015),The Operator (09-12-2015),TRF (09-14-2015),WrongVerb (09-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Disco's K/9 first 14 Reds starts: 6.1

Disco's K/9 last 14 Reds starts: 8.4
    With Igelsias, Disco, and Lamb (potentially) in the rotation next year, 2016, while probably not a postseason campaign, should be an intriguing one to watch with all of these young starters with relatively high upsides.
    Just call me Legs

8. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2015),reds1869 (09-13-2015)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    With Igelsias, Disco, and Lamb (potentially) in the rotation next year, 2016, while probably not a postseason campaign, should be an intriguing one to watch with all of these young starters with relatively high upsides.
    Stephenson by June.
    Bailey by July.
    Reed by August.

Indeed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Stephenson by June.
    Bailey by July.
    Reed by August.

Indeed.
    Garrett by Opening Day 2017

11. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-13-2015)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Garrett by Opening Day 2017
    Travieso in the same time frame.

Something's gotta give.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Bailey is an "I'll believe it when I see it" candidate.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

757690 (09-13-2015),Crumbley (09-13-2015),REDREAD (09-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bailey is an "I'll believe it when I see it" candidate.
    Could Bailey get the Smoltz treatment and become a closer post TJ?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Could Bailey get the Smoltz treatment and become a closer post TJ?
    The thought has crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Stephenson by June.
    Bailey by July.
    Reed by August.
    The only reason to keep Stephenson from the Opening Day roster is to keep him from Super 2 status. He's on my OD roster assuming he's healthy and pitching relatively well (ie, picking his spots) in Spring Training. Too, Bailey very well could be back sooner than July.

That rotation-- Iglesias, Stephenson, DeSclafani, Lamb, and Bailey-- looks interesting at least. High K totals. Lots of swing and miss.

Reasons for optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The only reason to keep Stephenson from the Opening Day roster is to keep him from Super 2 status. He's on my OD roster assuming he's healthy and pitching relatively well (ie, picking his spots) in Spring Training. Too, Bailey very well could be back sooner than July.

That rotation-- Iglesias, Stephenson, DeSclafani, Lamb, and Bailey-- looks interesting at least. High K totals. Lots of swing and miss.

Reasons for optimism.
    Your first sentence is incorrect. If you must have him on staff early next year, you hold him back for 2 weeks. That ensures on more.year of team control. I don't get bent out of shape about Super-2 stuff.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Your first sentence is incorrect. If you must have him on staff early next year, you hold him back for 2 weeks. That ensures on more.year of team control. I don't get bent out of shape about Super-2 stuff.
    Usually they don't need a 5th starter during the first two weeks anyway. Designate RobSteev44 as the 5th guy, get him a couple of starts in Louisville to get him consistent work and then bring him up when 5 th guy is needed which will conveniently right after the control year deadline has passed.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-15-2015),kaldaniels (09-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree completely but Super two isn't really even relevant to Stephenson anyhow.

To be eligible for Super Two, he'd have to be in the top 22 percent of service time for all guys with at least two years, but less than three years of service. Since he's not going to have any service this year, if he starts opening day next season he'll have two full years of service heading into 2018. That will not put him in the top 22 percent of service for guys less than three years. So he'll never be a S2 candidate if he starts opening day next year and stays active the following two seasons. He'd skip from two years of service to three years of service, never being in the Super Two class.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

23. Likes:

kaldaniels (09-13-2015)

Turn Off Ads?