Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday, April 30th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Thursday, April 30th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Louisville (7-13) - 11:05AM EDT - will be up and playing baseball before I am completely awake this morning. This listed starter is Michael Lorenzen. That just might not happen. We will find out soon enough.

Pensacola (5-14) - 8:05PM EDT - will be trotting out the ever-reliable, rubber-armed Toby Determined tonight. The Blue Fishermen are glad to finally see Biloxi hit the road. Biloxi owns them in 2015, winning 8 of the 9 contests between the two. Pensacola is currently riding a six-game losing streak. That ends tonight.

Transactions: Yovan Gonzalez (C) was placed on the 7-Day DL retroactive to 4/28.

Some nice defensive plays from the Wahoo Men of Leather:

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...07783&sid=milb
    http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.j...99883&sid=milb

Daytona (12-7) - 6:35PM EDT - has 2014 first-round draft choice, Nick Howard, going for them. Howard had a shaky outing last time but has generally been pitching well early in the season. Sammy Diaz has quietly put together a fine April for the Tortoises: .294/.342/.529/.872.

Dayton (11-9) - 7:05PM EDT - has turned their season around by winning five in a row. Seth Varner will toe the rubber and attempt to keep that streak alive. Varner has exhibited pinpoint control in 2015. He has yet to walk a batter covering three starts and 17 innings. He has fanned 17. The lefty packs a hefty 225 lbs. on his 6'3" frame.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-30-2015 at 09:07 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Thursday, April 30th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Daniel Cabrera on the bump today for the Bats. He hasn't pitched in the bigs since he was lit up to the tune of a 6.00 ERA in 51 innings (9 starts) in 2009. Let's hope he is not even on the Reds' depth chart in case of trade/injury.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Bats go 1 - 2 - 3 in the first. Even Ivan (the Great) De Jesus flies out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Daniel Cabrera on the bump today for the Bats. He hasn't pitched in the bigs since he was lit up to the tune of a 6.00 ERA in 51 innings (9 starts) in 2009. Let's hope he is not even on the Reds' depth chart in case of trade/injury.
    Just believe in the sponsor of his BR page.

Grant Paulsen sponsor(s) this page.

When you are watching another 4th place finish, the embodiment of hope stands 6'7" on the mound. On the right day, he makes you believe that anything is possible.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

texasdave (04-30-2015)

Cabrera, a 6'7" giant of a man, toiled in the Land of the Rising Sun for the past two seasons.

I found a scouting report on Cabrera that states he throws easy, mid-90s heat. Oh, by the way, that scouting report was from 2004. =)
    A 2007 article states that Cabrera has always been known for dominant stuff and inconsistent results. We're getting closer. Still nearly a decade away though.

There is a youtube video on Cabrera's hitting skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUuUBsZncA

Louisville bringing the thunder in the top of the second. Selsky homers (2), Rodriguez triples, and following a walk, Curtis doubles. Cabrera struck out looking. LaMarre then singles home two runners to make it 4-zip Bats. Louisville has just hit for the exceedingly rare team reverse cycle.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-30-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Selsky homer, YRod triple, Smith walk, Curtis double and the Bats have a 2-0 2nd inning lead still batting

Now LaMarre singles them both in and a throwing error advances him to 2nd. 4-0 Bats. Irribarren singles LaMarre to third before DeJesus makes the final out.

Cabrera has allowed 1 hit and walked 2 through 2 with no runs but he is all over the place. 43 pitches 21 strikes. Walked the leadoff both innings, thrown a wild pitch, but not getting hit hard either.

Selsky singles, YRod DP, Skipworth walks (you should get a fine for walking a guy batting .067) and Smith fans. 4-0 Bats mid third

Cabrera walks the pitcher leading off (3rd straight leadoff walk) on 5 pitches. Trouble brewing with Hansen, Florimon, Lombardozzi & Romero coming up. Gets Hansen on a fly, Florimon on a popup, then Lombardozzi singles and Cabrera hits Romero to load them. It's not at all pretty. Indy could win this walking away if they'd just quit swinging. Sanchez proves it by walking on 5 pitches to force in a run. THROW A STRIKE! Morel grounds to Iribarren who throws it away and it's 4-2 now, still loaded. Morel swung at ball 4 three times. Must have a don't walk philosophy. And with a 2-0 count Rojas flies out to end the threat. 81 pitches. 38 strikes and a third of those are pitches out of the zone that Indy batters are swinging at. Cabrera isn't at all sharp but he should have been out of that with just 1 run (thanks Hernan). 4-2 Bats after 3.

Bats up and down 1-2-3. Drew Hayes taking over for Cabrera. Moscot pinch hit for Cabrera. Price school of managing your bench.

Hayes pitching. STRIKES! Amazing. Sigh. Error by Selsky at first on Gorkys Park Hernandez' grounder. Drew fans the pitcher. Gorky Park steals 2nd. Hanson grounds out Irrigation to Selsky. Neither guy makes an error this time. Gorky Park on 3rd. 8 pitch battle with 1-800 Floral Man to get a ground out. Still 4-2 Bats after 4.

Hernan singles. Ivan the Terrible (if you're a pitcher) singles him to 2nd. The magical Selkie singles to load the bases. YRod? Y you strike out? Skippy Worth hits a sac fly and Irrigation scores. B (the other) Smith grounds out. 5-2 mid 5.

Drew what are you doing walking the leadoff man? See- the coach wants a word with you youngster...and it worked for the moment. Romeo-ero grounds into a neat 6-4-3 DP. The Mighty Hayes fans Sanchez to end the 5th. 5-2 Bats end of 5.

AJ Morris on for Indy. The Bats treat him to a 1-2-3 inning. Indy went from a batting tee to a real pitcher.

Schroom Morel flies out. Rojas fans after a 9 pitch fight. Gorky Park hits a double - first hit off Mighty Hayes. Hunter Morris up. When are parents going to name their kid "Fisherman" or "Rod-n-Reel" all these Hunters running around. Give other Field sports equal billing. Hunter shoots a grounder that Selsky bags. Great job by Hayes - 3 innings, 1 hit, 3 Ks 1 walk, no runs. And Selsky so far 3 hits 3ABs, a homer. 5-2 Bats end 6.

ground out. strike out. ground. Selsky now 3 for 4. 1-2-3 for the 2nd straight inning. 5-2 Bats mid 7.

LeCure for what ails ya is on to pitch. Pop up. Strike out. Fly out. 1-2-3. Sam gets er done. 5-2 after 7

YRod grounds out 5-3. Skipworthless grounds out. Now batting a hefty .063. But he has power. Off a tee. With a canoe paddle. B The Other Smith grounds out. Third straight 1-2-3 inning for AJ Morris. 5-2 Bats mid 8.

Sam walks leadoff pinch hitter Nunez. 6 walks for Bats pitchers thanks mostly to Ceiling Scraper Cabrera. LeCure for what ails ya? A DP. Nice work Sam. Schroomie Morel grounds out DeJesus to Selsky. Only 3 hits so far for Indy but those 6 walks...LeCure and Hayes have looked really good this morning. Mybe Sam just needs to pitch morning games.

Bobby I'm-from-Boise on to pitch for Indy. Jermaine "desparate-LF-candidate-before-Byrd" Curtis lines out. Chris "I-was-another-candidate" Dominguez to PH for Sam. CDom fans. 2 down. LaMarre doubles to end the 12 straight outs skein. Ima start calling him Ram LaMarre since that's his name meaning in old French. And Irribarren knocks him in! Clutch single for Hernan. A bit more breathing room. Hernan now has a 3 for 5 night. DeJesus flies out to end the Bats half of the ninth. Lead 6-2 mid 9th.

Nate Adcock to close it out. Gives up leadoff single to Rojas. Nate gets another DP (3 on the night for L'ville pitchers). 1 out to go. Gets Morris grounder to end the game. 3 hitter.

Bats win 6-2. Takeaways: Cabrera has NO control. Hayes is pretty good. LeCure looked better than he has. Selsky has been steady all year so far. Iribarren can hit a bit but his glove makes you miss Suarez.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 04-30-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-01-2015),Tom Servo (04-30-2015)

Thinking of going to the Pensacola vs. JacksonTN game tonight but would love to know who is pitching. Does anyone know why they haven't announced it and who it might be? I assumed it would be Stephenson but it still hasn't been announced.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Louisville up 5-2 after 5.

Cabrera racked up 81 pitches in just 3 innings allowing 2 hits, 4 walks, and just 1 K. So yeah, he is what we thought he was. Drew Hayes has thrown 2 scoreless innings in relief.

Steve Selsky is 3-3 with a HR.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Louisville coaxed six innings of shutout baseball out of their bullpen. Nice.

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Thinking of going to the Pensacola vs. JacksonTN game tonight but would love to know who is pitching. Does anyone know why they haven't announced it and who it might be? I assumed it would be Stephenson but it still hasn't been announced.
    This is Stephenson's scheduled day to pitch. I see no reason why he wouldn't go for Pensacola. Unless.........I'm not even gonna say it.

On the Pensacola website it states that Cam Maron (C) is being bumped up from Daytona. I guess to cover for Yovan Gonzalez being put on the 7-Day DL.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is Stephenson's scheduled day to pitch. I see no reason why he wouldn't go for Pensacola. Unless.........I'm not even gonna say it.
    The Pensacola team webpage has him scheduled to pitch tomorrow.
    http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t4124

How good is Selsky's defense?

Not about tonight's game but apparently tomorrow Pensacola is facing former #2 pick Danny Hultzen in his 2015 debut. I believe he missed last year after surgery.

Jackson Generals @jacksongenerals · 2h 2 hours ago
    Hultzen’s 2012 stats with the #JacksonGenerals: 8-3, 1.19 ERA, 79 K/32 BB in 75.1 IP. Helped Jackson win a First Half title. Is that good?
    Jackson Generals @jacksongenerals · 2h 2 hours ago
    It’s true! Danny Hultzen is starting for the #JacksonGenerals tomorrow! http://atmilb.com/1EwfaRz

I'm always pulling for the Dragons, but I am tempted to buy a Fort Wayne Tincaps hat because I love their logo.

20. Likes:

texasdave (05-01-2015)

Turn Off Ads?