Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tell Me About Dayton

Tell Me About Dayton

Going to catch the dragons playing in FW tonight, not real familiar with this years' team.
    Who's going to catch my eye and who should I be looking at??!
    YouTube - Louie G - The Deal - FULL (Jay Bruce/Reds Anthem)
    ^^ Jay Bruce Theme Song

2009 Reds Attendance Record 2-1
    2010 Reds Attendance Record 2-2 ***Attended NLDS Game 3***
    2011 Reds Attendance Record 1-0

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tell Me About Dayton

Seth Varner SP - A Miami of Ohio product, and 2014 10th round pick, lefty Varner has yet to walk a batter in 3 starts, 17 innings, this season for Dayton.

Gavin LaValley 1B - 2014 4th round pick out of Oklahoma. Great plate discipline but hasn't gotten the bat going yet so far this season.

Garrett Boulware C - 2014 pick out of Clemson University, Boulware is Dayton's hottest hitter.

Ty Washington 2B - A late round 2013 pick, Washington has shown the ability to hit pretty dang well for a 5'9, 160 lb infielder.

Narciso Crook CF - a 2014 late pick sleeper, Crook is only 19 and has flashed some intriguing ability.

Brian Hunter RP - a 2014 pick out of Hartford, Hunter has yet to allow a run this year for Dayton.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-30-2015),REDREAD (05-01-2015),redsmetz (05-04-2015)

Seth Varner is starting, he is a lefty prospect (pitching himself into more consideration than I think there was when he was drafted) but probably heading to the Reds bullpen if he makes it that far. On the field be sure and catch your impressions of Gavin LaValley, the Dragons third sacker. Kid has a quick bat and power although he is off to a slow start. Garrett Boulware, the catcher, is off to a good start. In the OF keep your eye on Aristides Aquino and Narciso Crook. Both are raw but are loaded with tools. Out of the bullpen both Kivel and Strahan are notable prospects.
    "If this was a court of law, the cross examination would go after the credibility of the witness." Homer Bailey on Latos snarking on the team after his trade

6. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2015)

Beat you, Jake!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

8. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-30-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Can't keep an eye on Aquino - he's on the DL.

Doug: this may be a good idea for your site:

A list of "who to see" at each level in the minors. You could even update it to show prospects on opposing teams that in town who are players to pay attention to. It may even draw some more people to your site when they Google "who to see at Dayton Dragons" or something.

Just my two cents

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-30-2015),redsmetz (05-04-2015),thatcoolguy_22 (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can't keep an eye on Aquino - he's on the DL.
    My bad. The Dayton site still has him listed as active
    "If this was a court of law, the cross examination would go after the credibility of the witness." Homer Bailey on Latos snarking on the team after his trade

I wish the organization would give up on the idea of LaValley at third. He's got a great eye and promising power. But he's been brutal in the field. Move him to first and get ready to promote aggressively. He could be the back-up that Chuckie wants so badley.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

14. Likes:

redsmetz (05-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I wish the organization would give up on the idea of LaValley at third. He's got a great eye and promising power. But he's been brutal in the field. Move him to first and get ready to promote aggressively. He could be the back-up that Chuckie wants so badley.
    I disagree.

If there is any hope at all of him being able to handle another position, you have to give him every chance to pick it up. Guys who are strictly 1B have to be absolute monsters at the plate or they are useless. It's well worth the effort to teach him to play an adequate (even barely adequate) secondary position so he can be useful as a bench player just in case his bat doesn't quite measure up to expectations.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-01-2015),RedlegJake (04-30-2015),texasdave (04-30-2015)

Tell me about Dayton?

They're sharpening knives and primitive lives
    For Redmen and their wives
    Bread winners and klutz
    And losing it all before the one eye shuts
    Well, I see it as paying the price
    Nobody feels it these days
    Raisel Ghul, the Demon's Head

Make that a thing.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (04-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If there is any hope at all of him being able to handle another position, you have to give him every chance to pick it up.
    IIRC, the scouting reports talked about moving off third. And the early-going hasn't disproven that notion. I like LaValley's bat, I don't want to hold him back to learn a position he has no business playing.

But I'm reasonable. If he's still a sub 900 FLD% butcher at the half-way mark, a move is in the offing.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tell me about Dayton?

They're sharpening knives and primitive lives
    For Redmen and their wives
    Bread winners and klutz
    And losing it all before the one eye shuts
    Well, I see it as paying the price
    Nobody feels it these days
    GBV at their best.

21. Likes:

Hypnotoad (05-01-2015),M2 (04-30-2015)

Is there any chance that LaValley could play a passable LF? I know nothing about the guy, was just wondering.
    Why is he so awful at 3b? Is it throwing, slow reactions or what? Just curious.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for bringing winning baseball back to Cincy

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Is there any chance that LaValley could play a passable LF? I know nothing about the guy, was just wondering.
    Why is he so awful at 3b? Is it throwing, slow reactions or what? Just curious.
    Dude is like Billy Butler. He's a 1b or DH, most likely.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2015)

Turn Off Ads?