Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Defense for Offense

Defense for Offense

These last 5-6 years of the Reds being contenders has had one staple: Incredible defense. But it hasn't gotten us past the first round yet. We are in a unique situation with Mez. At what point do you throw him in left (after some Eric Davis training of course) and move Byrd to center or Left with Bruce in center.

2013 we made the playoffs with Choo in center and Ludwick in left. It'll be arose than that, but I think we need Mes's bat if we have any shot.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Defense for Offense

He didn't get any playing time in left during spring training, I remember the Reds ran someone out to left field at wrigley a few years ago and it was a disaster. Was it the 1B that was traded to the Friars. From U of Miami..... Ugh? Anyway, would take some time, doubt if it would happen this year....
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Defence may not have gotten us past the first round, but offence never got us into the first round.

5. Likes:

757690 (05-12-2015)

As far as I know, Mesoraco has only played catcher since high school. I have no knowledge of his ability to transfer to a new position in season.

However, for many different reasons, I think it prudent this offseason to get him some reps at a secondary position. Not expecting him to be a gold glover...but 4 months of training should at least make him adaquate. .800 ops bats don't grow on trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    At least the Reds are wearing camo so nobody can see how bad they're playing.

Reds fans are offense centric, it's the lifeblood of the fan base. This franchise was all offense from the mid fifties on, the current approach plus the decline league wide in runs is a different world than anyone can recall.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (05-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reds fans are offense centric, it's the lifeblood of the fan base. This franchise was all offense from the mid fifties on, the current approach plus the decline league wide in runs is a different world than anyone can recall.
    You'd be to be 85 or so to remember the last time pitching, defense and small ball were the Reds staple (making a person 10 or 11 in 1939/1940)
    "If this was a court of law, the cross examination would go after the credibility of the witness." Homer Bailey on Latos snarking on the team after his trade

10. Likes:

Big Klu (05-13-2015),cumberlandreds (05-13-2015),Old school 1983 (05-12-2015),westofyou (05-12-2015)

Just by the eyeball test, I don't think Byrd belongs in center anymore.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-13-2015)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Runs are runs are runs. Unless you are at a ridiculous extreme imbalance, there's no value to be had by trading offense for defense 1:1 (or vice versa). Billy Hamilton has been a more productive player than Marlon Byrd so far this year and is likely to continue to be more productive. And as a poor defender in LF, mediocre at best, if you move Byrd to CF it's going to get real ugly.

If you want to replace an OF with Mesoraco, replacing Byrd straight up is the way to go.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

kpresidente (05-13-2015)

Turn Off Ads?