Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds Aren't Going Anywhere (and why that's a good thing)

The Reds Aren't Going Anywhere (and why that's a good thing)

According to this article

Baseball fades into the background over the course of months rather than demand that we drop what we are doing and Take Notice. It is the soundtrack of the summer. No, not even that. Itís the score. An accompaniment which complements our days and nights but which is unobtrusive and fits into the action rather seamlessly. Something the presence of which we rarely actively consider but whose absence would be jarring. It isnít a loud roar, but a steady, comforting hum that maintains no matter what else is going on in our lives.

And thank God for that, because our lives can and often do carry plenty of drama and intensity of their own sometimes. A lot of times, actually. We all just need to relax a bit.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2015),smixsell (05-13-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds Aren't Going Anywhere (and why that's a good thing)

Baseball is the great subtext in the novel of every year of our lives

5. Likes:

smixsell (05-13-2015)

This article could be written about over half the teams in MLB. In the end it will be right about most of them. But at least four of them will play post season baseball when it's all said and done. The Reds have just as much chance as any of the over a dozen teams hovering around .500. At least in theory.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Baseball is the great subtext in the novel of every year of our lives
    Yep. That's what I love about baseball. It's a constant companion over a 6 month season. And that time span is spring-summer-fall so it's when we are outdoors and life is bright and active. Baseball is woven through the fabric of our lives. Sometimes it's a bright golden thread and sometimes it's a crappy raggedy one. But it's always there as the games click by and countless big and little stories unfold.

It used to be a low-fidelity Waite Hoyt transcribing of the action out of a little plastic transistor radio, a snowy analog depiction from a black and white TV, or a Ritter Collett/Si Burick newspaper story. Now it's a glorious high def gigapixel display where you can count the rotations on the ball or you can snare the game literally out of the air on these marvelous handheld devices we have and each and every action is captured in some petabyte database somewhere and social media has enabled us to endlessly bicker with fans literally across the globe.

But the game is the same and the hold is has on us (or at least me) is the same as it was way back when.

Teach tolerance.

8. Likes:

Always Red (05-13-2015),smixsell (05-13-2015),westofyou (05-13-2015)

Sorry, but this guy doesn't get baseball.

Baseball isn't something to do to pass the time. That's what procedural cop shows are for. That's what trivia night at the local bar with guys from work is for.

Baseball adds passion and drama to my boring life It gives me something to care about, to worry about, to obsess over. I like that when the game is on the line, a can hardly watch. I like that when the pen blows a lead, my stomach bottoms out and I want to scream.

This guy reminds me of a woman a dated, who asked me if I could just watch the games and not care who won. As soon as she said that, I realized I would miss her, as it clearly wasn't going to work between us.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This article could be written about over half the teams in MLB. In the end it will be right about most of them. But at least four of them will play post season baseball when it's all said and done. The Reds have just as much chance as any of the over a dozen teams hovering around .500. At least in theory.
    The article has nothing to do with playoff baseball. It's written about all teams.

Turn Off Ads?