Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: When is enough enough for Marquis in the rotation?

Re: When is enough enough for Marquis in the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Per fangraphs, Marquis is.....

Ranked 104th out of 110 pitchers in WAR at -0.2.
    Ranked 109th out of 110 in ERA at 6.63
    Ranked 107th out of 110 in HR/9 at 2.13
    Ranked 106th out of 110 in WHIP at 1.63
    Ranked 110 out of 110 in liking dogs, apple pie, and Hulk Hogan.

I can buy the argument that no one has a great 5th starter but this guy is elite at sucking.
    He opens doors for old ladies and doesn't spit on the sidewalk.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Let the youngsters (try to) come of age in the big leagues as long as you aren't severely rushing them up to Cincy. Maybe (probably) the Reds won't be good for a year or so while they take their lumps, but it's enjoyable to me to watch guys bloom.
    At some point, though, you have to leave it to the experts to decide the specifics of bringing up and using young pitchers.

Bryan Price IMO is a pretty fair judge of pitching, and along with the Reds' other pitching gurus, I trust them to make specific decisions on when, how much, and at what level, to use Lorenzen, Iglesias, Moscot, DeSclafani.

If there is any question here, it's some of the off-season decisions the Reds made. I understand budgetary issues, but if you plan to compete, you have to find acceptable players in some of these spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    At some point, though, you have to leave it to the experts to decide the specifics of bringing up and using young pitchers.

Bryan Price IMO is a pretty fair judge of pitching, and along with the Reds' other pitching gurus, I trust them to make specific decisions on when, how much, and at what level, to use Lorenzen, Iglesias, Moscot, DeSclafani.

If there is any question here, it's some of the off-season decisions the Reds made. I understand budgetary issues, but if you plan to compete, you have to find acceptable players in some of these spots.
    Bring back Santo Alcala.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Price sure knew better when it came to how to use Hoover, Ondrusek, Parra, Gregg, and Marquis these past two seasons
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

smixsell (05-16-2015)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Per fangraphs, Marquis is.....

Ranked 104th out of 110 pitchers in WAR at -0.2.
    Ranked 109th out of 110 in ERA at 6.63
    Ranked 107th out of 110 in HR/9 at 2.13
    Ranked 106th out of 110 in WHIP at 1.63
    Ranked 110 out of 110 in liking dogs, apple pie, and Hulk Hogan.

I can buy the argument that no one has a great 5th starter but this guy is elite at sucking.
    He also has the 4th worst DRA, with no inning minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

He opens doors for old ladies and doesn't spit on the sidewalk.
    He also calls Price 'Sir"

That's got to be good for a few more starts.
    Go Gators!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Where is Paul Maholm these days? I'm having visions of that 60-mph lollipop curve.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Bring back Santo Alcala.
    Santo was my favorite Red back in the day. Swapped a far more valuable card for his baseball-hat-tipped-far-back-on-the-head card.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Where is Paul Maholm these days? I'm having visions of that 60-mph lollipop curve.
    Sitting at home in Mississippi.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I bet these dolts will give him one more start, even though it's obvious to even a casual baseball fan that he should be released.

If the Reds release him, no one else in baseball will pick him up. That's how bad he is. Yet, our idiot front office/manager thinks he's good enough to be in the Reds' starting rotation.

Rotation should clearly be: Cueto, Leake, Disco, Iglesias and Lorenzen. Stevie Wonder can see that.

And if you need someone else, Moscot and Axelrod (in order) are the best candidates. Time for Jason Marquis to become a slow-pitch softball pitcher like he's destined to be.
    Now is the time. Get him out and go with the PROMISING kids.

I agree totally with your idea for what the rotation should be. I would probably give Marquis a shot as the mop up/long guy in the pen though.
    Last edited by smixsell; 05-16-2015 at 07:06 PM.

When is enough enough for Marquis in the rotation?

The problem was letting guys like Marquis and Maholm compete for a spot in the first place. There's too much of a tendency to give veterans the benefit of a doubt, even when said vet is obviously done. If neither of these guys had been in camp, the Reds would have found an alternative.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Now is the time. Get him out and go with the PROMISING kids.

I agree totally with your idea for what the rotation should be. I would probably give Marquis a shot as the mop up/long guy in the pen though.
    I'm all for letting Marquis mop-up around the ballpark... I'm sure he'd make a great janitor, he has a great work ethic

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-16-2015)

Jason Marquis is literally a pile of garbage. Yes, literally. Polly Pollyanna herself knows that this dude can't pitch. And here we are, knocking on June's door.

The Reds, along with every other team in baseball bring in guys like Marquis every year to see if they have anything left or for pitching depth. I think it's safe to say that the team had four legitimate starters and figured that one of the young guys would steal the show in spring training or they would strike gold with a vet like they did last year with Simon. So going into all of this the team had Cingrani, Iglesias, Lorenzen, Maholm and Marquis as options for the 5th starter. That's a good plan imo, they just chose poorly.

I'm more amazed that Reds fans are willing to carry water for this front office than I am that the Reds are still rolling Marquis out to the mound every fifth day. I expect this kind of thing from them at this point, fans really oughta know better.

Jason Marquis has a long history of pitching like this - someone in the Reds organization is showing some hubris thinking he could pitch better here. Given that Kevin Gregg was the 8th inning setup man and Jason Marquis was the 4th starter out of spring training speaks volumes about somebody. Normally, I would put 100% of the blame on Jocketty, but with Price's background as a pitching coach I'm wondering if he is lobbying for these guys as reclamation projects, believing he can get more out of them.

Regardless, Gregg and Marquis alone have convinced me the decision making apparatus for this franchise is completely broken.

For people saying Harang was too much, you oughta check out all the completely foreseeable dead money the Reds are paying guys this year. If they don't have money for small outlays like Aaron Harang it's entirely their own fault.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-17-2015),KronoRed (05-17-2015),M2 (05-17-2015),mth123 (05-17-2015),RiverRat13 (05-17-2015)

Turn Off Ads?