Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: In-season 2015 Reds Rumors Discussion thread

Re: In-Season 2015 Reds Rumors thread

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Red Sox got money. There's no denying that.

But the Cardinals are a contender year-in-and-out with the same payroll as us.

It can be done.
    Cards had at least $10M more every year to spend for quite awhile, except for last year. Their payroll is $7M more this year.

Give the Reds $10M every season, and they'd be significantly better. Give them $7M more this year, and they'd be significantly better.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cards had at least $10M more every year to spend for quite awhile, except for last year. Their payroll is $7M more this year.

Give the Reds $10M every season, and they'd be significantly better. Give them $7M more this year, and they'd be significantly better.
    And yet they signed Votto to a mega-contract that they haven't really started paying yet. It's kind of like buying a Bentley and then complaining that you have to live in a fourth floor walk-up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Votto. But you can't complain about a major competitor spending $10 million dollars more when you throw around bucks like that.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (05-22-2015),Hubba (05-21-2015),malcontent (05-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    And yet they signed Votto to a mega-contract that they haven't really started paying yet. It's kind of like buying a Bentley and then complaining that you have to live in a fourth floor walk-up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Votto. But you can't complain about a major competitor spending $10 million dollars more when you throw around bucks like that.
    I didn't know you're last name name was Brennaman

I used to hate off days.....the end

I thought that this was a rumor thread.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

I don't think $7-10 million in payroll flex is what separates the Cardinals from the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

9. Likes:

BillDoran (05-22-2015)

I didn't know you're last name name was Brennaman
    You get me wrong. I don't dislike the Votto contract. Votto is a premier hitter, and lots of teams would do that. But if an organization can seriously say "Our team would be significantly better if we could only spend another $10 million" after they spent $121 million, then they have real big problems. And fwiw, the Reds and Cardinals have the same 2015 payrolls, with the Reds being 13th overall. Having money to spend isn't the issue.

The Royals are being rumored to have interest in Cueto(by some Royals reporters). Do they have the pieces to make a move for him?
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    You get me wrong. I don't dislike the Votto contract. Votto is a premier hitter, and lots of teams would do that. But if an organization can seriously say "Our team would be significantly better if we could only spend another $10 million" after they spent $121 million, then they have real big problems. And fwiw, the Reds and Cardinals have the same 2015 payrolls, with the Reds being 13th overall. Having money to spend isn't the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    I don't think $7-10 million in payroll flex is what separates the Cardinals from the Reds.
    Another $7-10M means one more quality starting player you can add every year. It means the ability to go out and fill a hole with a quality MLB player when the need arises midseason.

It would mean the Reds could have had a legitimate LF after Dunn left, this whole time. That would have been huge for the Reds. It would have meant getting a real replacement for Ludwick in 2013 when he was out the whole season. The Reds would likely p have won the division with one. Imagine one more quality player in 2012 to help them best the Giants in the playoffs. It even would mean a Harang type as the fifth starter instead of Marquis this year.

The difference in talent between the Cards and Reds hasn't been that great since 2010. One extra quality player on the Reds would have made a huge difference over those years.

Btw, Cots has the Reds payroll at $115M this year, the Cards at $122M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    The Royals are being rumored to have interest in Cueto(by some Royals reporters). Do they have the pieces to make a move for him?
    Finnegan would be a nice place to start.

Another $7-10M means one more quality starting player you can add every year. It means the ability to go out and fill a hole with a quality MLB player when the need arises midseason.

It would mean the Reds could have had a legitimate LF after Dunn left, this whole time. That would have been huge for the Reds. It would have meant getting a real replacement for Ludwick in 2013 when he was out the whole season. The Reds would likely p have won the division with one. Imagine one more quality player in 2012 to help them best the Giants in the playoffs. It even would mean a Harang type as the fifth starter instead of Marquis this year.

The difference in talent between the Cards and Reds hasn't been that great since 2010. One extra quality player on the Reds would have made a huge difference over those years.

7 million in the MLB is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBresser View Post
    7 million in the MLB is nothing.
    It's means Marquis never makes this team. That ain't nothing.

And it was at least $10M for many years before that. That would have gotten an above average MLB starter easily just a few years ago.

And remember, the big different between the Reds and the Cards from 2010 to now has been the Cards success in the playoffs. Having one more quality player would have made a huge difference in those playoff games. Well, maybe not 2010, lol, but certainly 2012, and even the 2013 wild card game. Plus, having a real LF to replace Ludwick, likely would have meant that the Reds wouldn't have needed to play the wild card game at all.

It's means Marquis never makes this team. That ain't nothing.

And it was at least $10M for many years before that. That would have gotten an above average MLB starter easily just a few years ago.

And remember, the big different between the Reds and the Cards from 2010 to now has been the Cards success in the playoffs. Having one more quality player would have made a huge difference in those playoff games. Well, maybe not 2010, lol, but certainly 2012, and even the 2013 wild card game. Plus, having a real LF to replace Ludwick, likely would have meant that the Reds wouldn't have needed to play the wild card game at all.
    Could have had a real LF to replace Ludwick for less than the league minimum (Byrd, failed to claim.) Money wasn't the deciding factor there- Walt felt obligated to give Ol' Luddy the chance.

Spotrac has the Reds at $121.8M. and the Cards at $121.9M this year. Their numbers include sunk dollars, which of course have to be accounted for, or otherwise they'd have the $7M that they so desperately need to put them over the top.

18. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2015)

I agree that from 2010-2013 there wasn't much difference between them.

However, last year and this year.....$7-10 million isn't closing the current gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

20. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2015)

Turn Off Ads?