Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 729

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

  1. #1
    Are we not men? Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Rubber City
    Posts
    7,347

    Soccer in Cincinnati

    Looks like there has been some interesting news lately about professional soccer in the Cincinnati area.

    First, there was this little tidbit posted in another thread, indicating that Cincinnati may get a USL team next season:

    http://wrongsideofthepond.com/2015/0...in-cincinnati/

    Then yesterday there was this nice little write-up about one of Cincinnati's existing pro teams, the Cincinnati Saints, who play in the NPSL.

    http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2015/5...cinnati-saints

    Like I said in the other thread, if things work out I could see a Division 2 team in Cincinnati, whether it be NASL, USL or whatever the second division looks like in a few years. After reading about the Saints, I would definitely check out a game if I lived in the Cincinnati area. If you're not a soccer snob for whom only the best will do, going to these kinds of games can be a lot of fun. We don't have any teams in Akron, but I usually try to make it to a few University of Akron games a season, which also has the feel of minor league soccer with a strong supporters culture.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,052

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Looks like there has been some interesting news lately about professional soccer in the Cincinnati area.

    First, there was this little tidbit posted in another thread, indicating that Cincinnati may get a USL team next season:

    http://wrongsideofthepond.com/2015/0...in-cincinnati/

    Then yesterday there was this nice little write-up about one of Cincinnati's existing pro teams, the Cincinnati Saints, who play in the NPSL.

    http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2015/5...cinnati-saints

    Like I said in the other thread, if things work out I could see a Division 2 team in Cincinnati, whether it be NASL, USL or whatever the second division looks like in a few years. After reading about the Saints, I would definitely check out a game if I lived in the Cincinnati area. If you're not a soccer snob for whom only the best will do, going to these kinds of games can be a lot of fun. We don't have any teams in Akron, but I usually try to make it to a few University of Akron games a season, which also has the feel of minor league soccer with a strong supporters culture.
    Any rumors on venues? Where they might play?

  4. #3
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Downtown Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,624

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Any rumors on venues? Where they might play?
    The USL wants all of their clubs to have their own stadium by 2020, so it would need to be somewhere with enough available land, or somewhere with a complete redevelopment.

  5. #4
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    19,052

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The USL wants all of their clubs to have their own stadium by 2020, so it would need to be somewhere with enough available land, or somewhere with a complete redevelopment.
    OK. So we're not talking Cincinnati Gardens.

  6. #5
    Are we not men? Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Rubber City
    Posts
    7,347

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Any rumors on venues? Where they might play?
    Currently, the NPSL Saints play at some high school and the PDL Cincinnati Dutch Lions play at Xavier University. If FC Cincinnati gets off the ground, I suspect they'll start at an existing high school or college facility with an eye toward building a soccer stadium. Same thing if the Saints achieve their dream of making the NASL.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

  7. #6
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    In order for one of these teams to be successful, they need to get a home pitch and cultivate a good supporters culture. From what I've heard, the Saints games are pretty devoid of an atmosphere. I'm hoping to get out soon to check them out.

    Also, I hate the Saints name. Dispise it, in fact. It has nothing to do with the city and is already used by an NFL team AND an EPL side (Southhampton). It almost makes me actively root against the team having success because they so badly whiffed on the most basic aspect of the team.

    FC Queen City
    Cincinnati FC

    This isn't rocket surgery.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 05-30-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  8. #7
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    36,470

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Also, I hate the Saints name. Dispise it, in fact. It has nothing to do with the city and is already used by an NFL team AND an EPL side (Southhampton).
    Maybe they're fans of the Skids.

    Wait until the year after next year.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    10,319

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Poor Stuart Adamson. Still think Big Country's underrated.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  10. Likes:

    Dwarftree (06-08-2015),M2 (06-02-2015),Revering4Blue (06-06-2015)

  11. #9
    Are we not men? Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Rubber City
    Posts
    7,347

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    In order for one of these teams to be successful, they need to get a home pitch and cultivate a good supporters culture. From what I've heard, the Saints games are pretty devoid of an atmosphere. I'm hoping to get out soon to check them out.

    Also, I hate the Saints name. Dispise it, in fact. It has nothing to do with the city and is already used by an NFL team AND an EPL side (Southhampton). It almost makes me actively root against the team having success because they so badly whiffed on the most basic aspect of the team.

    FC Queen City
    Cincinnati FC

    This isn't rocket surgery.
    Not sure why Saints would turn you off just because it's used by an NFL team and an EPL team, yet like (Insert City Name) FC, which is used by countless other teams. And FC Queen City is always going to cause issues with Charlotte, NC, which also bills itself as the Queen City. I believe in the interview the head of the Saints organization said the name ties in with the German Catholic traditions of the city, which at least shows an understanding of historical Cincinnati demographics. (Full disclosure: my dad's family hails from the German Catholics of Cincinnati)

    Of course if you really want to go the FC route, yet still be unique, why not FC Porkopolis? Or maybe they can establish a link with a Bundesliga team and become Bayern Cincy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

  12. Likes:

    M2 (06-03-2015),reds1869 (06-03-2015)

  13. #10
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    36,470

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Of course if you really want to go the FC route, yet still be unique, why not FC Porkopolis?
    Love that name (though I tend to prefer SC to FC).
    Wait until the year after next year.

  14. #11
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Not sure why Saints would turn you off just because it's used by an NFL team and an EPL team, yet like (Insert City Name) FC, which is used by countless other teams. And FC Queen City is always going to cause issues with Charlotte, NC, which also bills itself as the Queen City. I believe in the interview the head of the Saints organization said the name ties in with the German Catholic traditions of the city, which at least shows an understanding of historical Cincinnati demographics. (Full disclosure: my dad's family hails from the German Catholics of Cincinnati)

    Of course if you really want to go the FC route, yet still be unique, why not FC Porkopolis? Or maybe they can establish a link with a Bundesliga team and become Bayern Cincy.
    I find the "City Name FC" naming scheme to be part of the larger whole of what makes the soccer experience interesting and different than the traditional American professional sports -- much like using badges/crests instead of logos and having supporters sections that sing/chant during matches. It's a different experience / world than baseball or football, and I like that. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that, considering the most successful 2nd-division sides in recent history all follow pretty closely to the traditional naming conventions (Minnesota United FC, Sacramento Republic FC, Orlando City SC, etc.)

    As for the actual name "Saints" -- it's a personal preference thing. If you're absolutely insistent on doing a "City Name / Nickname" team squad, there are a hundred ways to honor the Catholic heritage of Cincinnati (full disclosure, 100% Irish Catholic on both sides of my family) without aping another soccer team's nickname or an NFL team's nickname. Also, who cares if Charlotte wants to claim they're the "Queen City" as well -- anyone within a 200 mile radius thinks "Cincinnati" when someone says "Queen City," and that's who you're marketing this team to anyway.

    Finally, Bayern Cincy is cool -- Bayern Zinzinnati is cooler.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  15. #12
    Member LawFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Suburbia
    Posts
    539

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    If any of the soccer fans on here have ever thought about giving back to The Beautiful Game, and have any previous experience as a player, coach, or referee, please feel free to send me a pm. The Cincinnati area is always in need of referees for high school matches. I'm pretty heavily involved in a local officials' association and can direct you to a website with more info if anyone is interested! It's a great way to serve your community, make new friends and earn a few extra bucks on the side.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

  16. #13
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,215

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    There will be a USL franchise starting next season, FC Cincinnati. @FCCincinnati on twitter.

    The plan is to play at Nippert at first and then build their own stadium. The sight lines at Nippert should work well for soccer, but that turf will be busy with all its UC football permanent markings. They will also have to shift the pitch a bit to the north since the closed south end will pinch in the corners too much in my opinion.

    I hope they get their stadium soon and become a permanent part of the Cincy sports landscape.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-21-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  17. #14
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    I've been thinking on this issue for a bit -- and I haven't a clue where they can find room for a pitch in town. I think they need to keep it close to downtown or in one of the downtown-adjacent neighborhoods, but there just isn't a ton of room in any of the ideal neighborhoods or locations.

    And really, getting a home facility and building an environment / supporters culture will be key to getting the product going.

    Love the name too.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  18. #15
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,215

    Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

    I agree with you, CE. There's no obvious location to build a new 10,000-15,000 seat stadium (and expandable beyond that), which will be the minimum expectation to keep a USL franchise in a few years.

    Maybe they intend to build out an existing facility at a high school or something?
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-21-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator