Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't speak to west siders but the west end folks aren't going to be into major league soccer yet their lives will be upended by it if that's where the stadium ends up. That's not good
    Seems like the only time you have ever cared about the people in the West End is to make a point against this soccer stadium.

No one wants a stadium in their back yard, but the reality is, if FCC needs a stadium, it is going to upend someone.

I did find it ironic that the argument is the west end needs a grocery store or pharmacy, not a soccer stadium. Isn't the grocery or pharmacy reliant on a Kroger or Walmart like company building a store there?

2. Likes:

dabvu2498 (02-12-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    You make a good point. Soccer City really is a soccer city. I think that speaks more to the shift in interest in youth from other sports to soccer. Westside adults on the other hand... zero interest in soccer, compared to the eastside. It really is like having two different cities next to each other. Again, when these kids grow up, I think that might change, in regard to soccer.
    It may be true that west side adults aren't into soccer but if their kids are, someone has to take them to the matches, buy their concessions and gear. If the Reds fortunes again take a turn for the worse, they may decide soccer will be a better bargain for their buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Seems like the only time you have ever cared about the people in the West End is to make a point against this soccer stadium.

No one wants a stadium in their back yard, but the reality is, if FCC needs a stadium, it is going to upend someone.

I did find it ironic that the argument is the west end needs a grocery store or pharmacy, not a soccer stadium. Isn't the grocery or pharmacy reliant on a Kroger or Walmart like company building a store there?
    Well gee, I guess the reason is because the west end hasn't found itself in the middle of a public controversy before. I've never cared about Indian Hill either. Go figure. How 'bout we leave the personal comments out and limit our discussions to the case at hand.

I do think these soccer folks should leave the West End out of this.

Personally I'd like to see Cincinnati win a bid but I also think the location should be the result of a prudent decision. Oakley would be a fine choice. The deal has been made. No sense in upsetting the apple cart on the West End.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The West End is speaking loud and clear: They don't want the soccer stadium there: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...gel/320614002/

I can't blame them. They're not the target market for this endeavor. They're not going to go to the games. The target market is on the east side. It's Clifton, Hyde Park, Oakley, Blue ash, Montgomery. Middle class white folks.

Time is ticking. The soccer powers that be originally said they'd have a decision by the end of 2017. Now they're silent. Our city council correctly said enough's enough. They've demanded an answer by the end of this month. I don't think that's enough time to pound this square peg into the round West End hole. Good for them.
    FWIW -- the West End isn't really speaking right now.

It's mostly non-residents and political opportunists looking for a camera to grandstand in front of.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

7. Likes:

dabvu2498 (02-12-2018),membengal (02-12-2018),wolfboy (02-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It may be true that west side adults aren't into soccer but if their kids are, someone has to take them to the matches, buy their concessions and gear. If the Reds fortunes again take a turn for the worse, they may decide soccer will be a better bargain for their buck.
    Perhaps the west side likes its soccer, I don't know but building it in the West End does not make it appreciably more attractive to Western Hills, Colerain or Delhi

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    FWIW -- the West End isn't really speaking right now.

It's mostly non-residents and political opportunists looking for a camera to grandstand in front of.
    You make a good point that a lot of those voices aren't west enders but there have been residents interviewed that I've seen and it's been overwhelmingly negative

Perhaps the west side likes its soccer, I don't know but building it in the West End does not make it appreciably more attractive to Western Hills, Colerain or Delhi
    Meh. I live in Westwood and it would be a lot easier for me to get to a stadium on the West End than Oakley or Newport. Not that it's difficult to go to those other places but the West End would be easier for me. I don't have a dog in the hunt but I'd rather see Oakley because I wouldn't like to see the city and a big organization like FCC bigfoot their way into that neighborhood.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-12-2018)

FCC needs the suburban soccer fan to be successful. They need to get all the kids playing soccer and their parents to go to the games.
    I'm under the impression they've done very well while specifically not chasing that demographic. Suburban soccer parents have been the target market for the team I follow, New England, and they have easily the most disconnected fans in the league. The USOC crowds for FCC weren't soccer moms and dads. FCC found itself a MLS 3.0 crowd. I suspect wherever they put the team in the city, those fans will turn up. The danger would be building some suburban mausoleum which squanders the fan energy they've tapped into so far.
    Wait until the year after next year.

13. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (02-13-2018),Chip R (02-12-2018),Griffey012 (02-14-2018),membengal (02-12-2018),paintmered (02-12-2018),wolfboy (02-12-2018)

The Dragons are really the only thing going on in Dayton. You have the Flyers basketball in the Winter/Spring, and then baseball in the Spring/Summer.

FCC as an USL team would be competing with the Reds for the vast majority of the season. College kids do go to the games, but the bulk of their season is played during Summer break.

The Reds have dropped 1/2 their fanbase in the last 5 years, soccer doesn't have to worry if they put out a good product and the Reds continue to suck. You'd be surprised how many thousands of students still attend classes during "summer Break".

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds have dropped 1/2 their fanbase in the last 5 years, soccer doesn't have to worry if they put out a good product and the Reds continue to suck. You'd be surprised how many thousands of students still attend classes during "summer Break".
    This is a little hyperbolic. The Reds haven't dropped 1/2 of their fan base, not even close. Yea there are people who don't want to spend money on a non-contending ball team, but those fans will be back if/when the Reds begin to play competitive baseball again.

How many USL teams have their own stadium? If FCC doesn't get into the MLS, they will be a second tier American soccer team. They had the inaugural season buzz, and then the second season and MLS buzz, now you have the MLS buzz hanging over this season. If that fades, you will be left with a second tier American soccer team, I am sure they will draw better than your average USL team, but they won't continue to draw 10K+.

This is a little hyperbolic. The Reds haven't dropped 1/2 of their fan base, not even close. Yea there are people who don't want to spend money on a non-contending ball team, but those fans will be back if/when the Reds begin to play competitive baseball again.
    I'm not so sure. In the 80s, I watched (games were on channel 5) or listened to every game, every night. In the 90s through 2010 I watched most games on FSO or at the very least, had them on the radio. I knew Lindner was milking the team, but the Reds were still enough of a routine for me that I watched anyway. And when Castellini came on board, I could tell he was really trying to build a winner, so I started going to 5 games/year minimum, and found myself listening/watching games moreso than the Lindner years.

But I have to tell you... ever since the Williams family became more prominent and Dick took over as GM, it is abundantly clear that the Reds franchise is being milked again. 2 years ago, I went to one game. Last year, I didn't go to any. Why should I try, if they aren't trying? I mean, besides Joey Votto, what is going on with the Reds that is even remotely interesting? "Rebuilding?" Please...

My point though, is this: The routine, for me, is broken. Even during the season, here at RZ, I'm viewing the Tavern and the Political forums. That's it. They could win 90 games and go to the playoffs, and I don't think I'll ever support them to the extent that I did pre-Williams era. They ruined the Reds for me, the same way Mike Brown ruined the Bengals for me. Milking fan sentiment for profit. I'm not alone in feeling this way either. The Reds really have lost a LOT of fans, and many, like me, may never come back.

The Reds will never win more than 85 games with Williams as GM. Nepotism is poison from the top down. The only thing I wonder about, is how long the remaining diehards are going to buy the "rebuilding" nonsense. They are rebuilding like Mike Brown was rebuilding in the 90s.

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-13-2018)

How many USL teams have their own stadium? If FCC doesn't get into the MLS, they will be a second tier American soccer team. They had the inaugural season buzz, and then the second season and MLS buzz, now you have the MLS buzz hanging over this season. If that fades, you will be left with a second tier American soccer team, I am sure they will draw better than your average USL team, but they won't continue to draw 10K+.
    I would disagree with you. Second tier sports do very well in Cincinnati, especially when they are within walking distance of thousands of college kids.

I would disagree with you. Second tier sports do very well in Cincinnati, especially when they are within walking distance of thousands of college kids.
    What second tier sports have done well around college kids?

Cyclones

Cyclones
    From 2006-07 to 2017-18 the Cyclones have drawn anywhere from 1844 to 5099 (this season.)

5K is a far cry from what FCC is trying to get this season 15K. If you are saying that FCC as an USL team will draw like the Cyclones or slightly better, I agree with you. But 5K isn't much to write home about when you are used to averaging 10K when you had MLS hopes.

Turn Off Ads?