Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I find the "City Name FC" naming scheme to be part of the larger whole of what makes the soccer experience interesting and different than the traditional American professional sports -- much like using badges/crests instead of logos and having supporters sections that sing/chant during matches. It's a different experience / world than baseball or football, and I like that. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that, considering the most successful 2nd-division sides in recent history all follow pretty closely to the traditional naming conventions (Minnesota United FC, Sacramento Republic FC, Orlando City SC, etc.)

As for the actual name "Saints" -- it's a personal preference thing. If you're absolutely insistent on doing a "City Name / Nickname" team squad, there are a hundred ways to honor the Catholic heritage of Cincinnati (full disclosure, 100% Irish Catholic on both sides of my family) without aping another soccer team's nickname or an NFL team's nickname. Also, who cares if Charlotte wants to claim they're the "Queen City" as well -- anyone within a 200 mile radius thinks "Cincinnati" when someone says "Queen City," and that's who you're marketing this team to anyway.

Finally, Bayern Cincy is cool -- Bayern Zinzinnati is cooler.
    A couple of comments:

1. Bayern is the German word for Bavaria, the region where Munich is. "Bayern Munich" is functionally equivalent to "Cincinnati, Ohio."

2. "Cincinnati Ohio" would be a cool name for a soccer team.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I agree with you, CE. There's no obvious location to build a new 10,000-15,000 seat stadium (and expandable beyond that), which will be the minimum expectation to keep a USL franchise in a few years.

Maybe they intend to build out an existing facility at a high school or something?
    I think that was originally the plan for the Cincinnati Saints -- plant their flag at Taft's stadium in OTR and, hopefully, grow to expand the grounds. In terms of raw location, it's a great place for a venue (close proximity to Washington Park & OTR), but the current setup is less than ideal for soccer and they haven't drawn the crowds necessary to fund a takeover (assuming the City of Cincinnati & Cincinnati Public Schools would allow a takeover) to remove the football markings and make it a dedicated soccer pitch.

I know a couple of USL / NASL teams have started life on municipal grounds by expanding areas at parks. I'm pretty sure Sacramento Republic FC and Minnesota United both play at fields that were added to state parks / state owned land. If I'm Cincinnati FC, I'm looking to go the same way and looking to see if there isn't space in some city-owned fields that I could use to build up a stadium structure.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

I find the "City Name FC" naming scheme to be part of the larger whole of what makes the soccer experience interesting and different than the traditional American professional sports -- much like using badges/crests instead of logos and having supporters sections that sing/chant during matches. It's a different experience / world than baseball or football, and I like that. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that, considering the most successful 2nd-division sides in recent history all follow pretty closely to the traditional naming conventions (Minnesota United FC, Sacramento Republic FC, Orlando City SC, etc.)
    ahem. Indy Eleven and their 18 game sellout streak would like a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    A couple of comments:

1. Bayern is the German word for Bavaria, the region where Munich is. "Bayern Munich" is functionally equivalent to "Cincinnati, Ohio."

2. "Cincinnati Ohio" would be a cool name for a soccer team.
    Technically it's FC Bayern München, which is more like "Football Club Bavaria (of) Munich" or "(the Bavarian Football Club in Munich." Similarly Borussia Dortmund is really Ballspielverein Borussia Dortmund, or "(the) Prussian Ball Sports Union of Dortmund." So an equivalent would be FC Ohio Cincinnati. They could go with FC Ohio Zinzinnati and call it FC OZ for short.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Technically it's FC Bayern München, which is more like "Football Club Bavaria (of) Munich" or "(the Bavarian Football Club in Munich." Similarly Borussia Dortmund is really Ballspielverein Borussia Dortmund, or "(the) Prussian Ball Sports Union of Dortmund." So an equivalent would be FC Ohio Cincinnati. They could go with FC Ohio Zinzinnati and call it FC OZ for short.
    Right, but Germans usually write it state, city instead of city, state. I was trying to translate the elements of FCB to our language conventions, not copy their language conventions.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

How about Xavier? Their soccer facility is in a nice location and there's some room there. I was also wondering about the new Summitt Park at the old Blue Ash Airport location. Tons of land there, even with what they already have planned.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    How about Xavier? Their soccer facility is in a nice location and there's some room there. I was also wondering about the new Summitt Park at the old Blue Ash Airport location. Tons of land there, even with what they already have planned.
    I suspect that they would want to keep the team out of the 'burbs -- but that's just a guess. As for Xavier, they have a nice little pitch, but I don't know that it holds more than 1,000 or so people, and the parking situation is (in a word) not good unless they offer use of the Cintas Center lots.

My main soccer-following friend and I came to the conclusion that their best bet, as far as building on existing park land, would be down in the East End (Otto Armledder Park or Kellogg Avenue Park). Otherwise, if they're going to buy land outside of downtown and build, they should stick as close to the "yuppie" neighborhoods as possible (OTR, Oakley, Hyde Park, etc.) because that's where their likely base of supporters are going to be found.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

I suspect that they would want to keep the team out of the 'burbs -- but that's just a guess. As for Xavier, they have a nice little pitch, but I don't know that it holds more than 1,000 or so people, and the parking situation is (in a word) not good unless they offer use of the Cintas Center lots.

My main soccer-following friend and I came to the conclusion that their best bet, as far as building on existing park land, would be down in the East End (Otto Armledder Park or Kellogg Avenue Park). Otherwise, if they're going to buy land outside of downtown and build, they should stick as close to the "yuppie" neighborhoods as possible (OTR, Oakley, Hyde Park, etc.) because that's where their likely base of supporters are going to be found.
    I live in Charlotte. I thought it was interesting that their minor league soccer (affilated with DEN MSL team) team has a prefab stadium. They can actually disassemble the stadium and move it in about a week to another location. I think it's fairly small 1-500-3,500. I thought it was an interesting concept.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 06-27-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If they have a dollar beer night, I'll probably show up.

Press conference to announce FC Cincinnati is apparently happening tomorrow at 11 AM. They've released this "hype" video in advance of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR88...ature=youtu.be

I also saw this online: http://wrongsideofthepond.com/2015/0...t-as-expected/
    The list of attendees mentioned in the release included some very heavy hitters. Jeff Berding, the man who we tabbed in our original piece as the lead man for the team, will be there. Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley will be in attendance, as will University of Cincinnati President, Dr. Santa Ono, and Athletic Director Mike Bohn. Bohn is expected to confirm that additional renovations to Nippert were necessary to accommodate soccer at the stadium. And as to be expected, USL President Jake Edwards will also be in the house.

But interestingly, as we had hinted at a week ago, the last man on the list of attendees is majority owner, Carl Lindner III. We had been hearing for months that FC Cincinnati had incredibly deep pockets, and with Lindner in the fold, that certainly proves true. The heir to the United Dairy Farmer’s empire and Co-CEO of American Financial Group, Lindner has an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion.
    Carl Linder III being majority owner of this team changes the expected dynamics significantly -- that's a ton of cash potentially bankrolling things.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

I'm pretty happy with this news. There is some serious money to help get things going and Nippert should work well. The ticket prices look to be very reasonable, too.

UC fans are very concerned about what the modifications might include to Nippert Stadium for it to accommodate soccer. The university and its supporters just kicked in $90M to renovate the place, and they're reluctant to share not now that it's nearly done.That being said, assuming they don't hack the jewel of a stadium to pieces, it should offer great sight lives, lively atmosphere, and a good location for soccer.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    UC fans are very concerned about what the modifications might include to Nippert Stadium for it to accommodate soccer. The university and its supporters just kicked in $90M to renovate the place, and they're reluctant to share not now that it's nearly done.That being said, assuming they don't hack the jewel of a stadium to pieces, it should offer great sight lives, lively atmosphere, and a good location for soccer.
    Very little modification should be needed. Other than markings on the field and closing off the upper seats for soccer the place should be essentially the same.

Word from those in the know is that they're going to need to blow out the first few rows (3-4) of seats in order to make the field wide enough to accommodate the pitch. UC fans are up in arms about it, but I've been to enough games at Nippert to know those seats are awful (too low to see anything) and almost always empty for all but the biggest games. Plus, any modifications to Nippert can be undone at Linder's expense when/if the team moves out.

My only concern with Nippert is that they remove the yardlines and football markings. Watching soccer on a field marked for football use is annoying and actively detracts from the experience, IMO.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

Word from those in the know is that they're going to need to blow out the first few rows (3-4) of seats in order to make the field wide enough to accommodate the pitch. UC fans are up in arms about it, but I've been to enough games at Nippert to know those seats are awful (too low to see anything) and almost always empty for all but the biggest games. Plus, any modifications to Nippert can be undone at Linder's expense when/if the team moves out.

My only concern with Nippert is that they remove the yardlines and football markings. Watching soccer on a field marked for football use is annoying and actively detracts from the experience, IMO.
    Aw, I didn't realize the field wasn't wide enough. I've sat in the seats you speak of when Marshall played there and was appalled by how terrible they were. No big loss. As for the football markings, Seattle is one example of a stadium that readily removes and adds markings for MLS/NFL. So it can definitely be done and the football liens would only have to be a concern for part of the season.

Turn Off Ads?