Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    And I think the problem here is perception as far as where you think attendance for a USL or an NPSL team should be. USL is currently our 3rd tier on the Soccer Pyramid. Average attendance is 3,266 this season. Most teams in the USL play in stadiums, some of them built by the teams themselves, to seat 3,000 to 8,000 fans. The best team in the league, attendance-wise, is Sacramento Republic, and their stadium only sits 11,500. So packing Nippert with 15,000 on opening day and averaging 10,000 fans a game at the USL level would probably put FC Cincinnati at the top of the list for MLS Expansion and amaze the hell out of anyone. In fact, those numbers would also probably put you atop the NASL, the current 2nd Division league, which is currently averaging around 6,500 a game. In fact, if you look at England, The Football League 1 is their 3rd division league and the average attendance for 2014/15 was just over 7,000 a game.

The reality is that, if FC Cincinnati pulls between 5,000-3,000 people a game it should be considered a success. If their business model is to average 10,000 a game, they will fail. Now pulling 3,000 people for Division 3 soccer is nothing to shake a stick at. If I had the time, I would guess that in most countries that aren't England, 3,000 a game for Division 3 soccer is a very strong showing.

As far as the Cincinnati Saint go, I'm not sure what you expect really. The NPSL is a semi-pro league where most of the players are either college kids, who don't get paid lest they lose eligibility, or reserve players from NASL or USL teams that are on loan to get some experience. USSF only officially recognizes 3 divisions, so anything below is sort of an unofficial 4th or 5th tier and in England would be considered the equivalent of Non-League Football (meaning the leagues and teams are not a part of the Football League. In England there are hundreds of teams playing Non-League Football and their attendances tend to be counted in the Hundreds rather than Thousands. So the fact that the Saints even have a regular supporters group that shows up for games and cheers the team on is amazing in itself.

Another way to keep things into perspective regarding FC Cincinnati attendance is to remember that, if you look at attendance figures for Minor League Baseball, FC Cincinnati is coming it at the AA level. Even the best AA teams don't draw 10,000 a game. The Cincinnati Saints would be the equivalent of a rookie league team or even the Florence Freedom in Independent League ball.
    There is a huge dropoff from the MSL to the USL both in talent and attendance as the above poster pointed out. It's kind of similar to the East Coast Hockey League (2 steps down from the NHL). I assume part of the issue is a lot of North American players that don't make the MSL are more likely to play Asia or Australia or a lower level German league, where there is more international scouting. It's still a nice product, but one could argue that if Xavier brings in ranked college teams from the Big Ten and ACC like UVA or IU that really is somewhat similar quality of competition.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Put down my deposit last night for The Bailey. $120 for a season ticket is hard to beat.

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (08-24-2015),Yachtzee (09-22-2015)

I have to give the FC Cincinnati people some props. Since I've started following them on Facebook and Twitter, they've done a really good job of updating with regular posts, mostly about the pub partners they've been lining up, but also stuff about Nippert and general stuff like posting supportive messages about the Bengals and Reds. Meanwhile, I've heard rumors that the Cincinnati Saints folks may just give up trying to compete with FC Cincinnati and instead relocate to somewhere else, possibly Dayton.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I have to give the FC Cincinnati people some props. Since I've started following them on Facebook and Twitter, they've done a really good job of updating with regular posts, mostly about the pub partners they've been lining up, but also stuff about Nippert and general stuff like posting supportive messages about the Bengals and Reds. Meanwhile, I've heard rumors that the Cincinnati Saints folks may just give up trying to compete with FC Cincinnati and instead relocate to somewhere else, possibly Dayton.
    Wrong Side of the Pond had a piece on that a few weeks ago. I'd trust it's reliability, since the blog's author is one of the online match commentators for the Saints.

I like what FC Cincinnati has been doing recently. Apparently they already have a shirt-sponsor lined up that they're going to be revealing this week as well, and I've heard a fairly solid rumor that the roster plan is to go buying with an eye towards overwhelming the league competition, even if it means an operating loss initially.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

Picked out my season tickets for next season on the phone this week.

Apparently, the club is going to announce their first player signings on Monday.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Apparently, the club is going to announce their first player signings on Monday.
    My appointment is Tuesday. This club is incredibly organized and very motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Must be pretty exciting. I hear they've sold around 4,000 season tickets. While that's not yet near their goal of 10,000 season ticket holders, their season ticket holders alone put them in the top ten teams for attendance based on 2015 numbers. That's definitely a solid base to build off of. Heck, that's a good number for NASL as well.

Up here in NE Ohio, the University of Akron is making another strong showing the the NCAA tournament. And then there's the Crew in the MLS Cup. Good times for Soccer in the State of Ohio.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

And here you go, Cincinnati. If FC Cincinnati succeeds at the USL level, the opportunity to jump to the MLS may well be there.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates

11. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (12-06-2015),reds1869 (12-05-2015)

And here you go, Cincinnati. If FC Cincinnati succeeds at the USL level, the opportunity to jump to the MLS may well be there.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates
    It would be awesome to have a Buckeye Derby in the future between the Crew and Cincinnati FC.

Long way to go before that, though.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

So, are you Cincinnatians getting fired up for soccer yet? Looks like they've created a rivalry cup for the FC Cincinnati-Louisville City "derby."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle...CLID=210690793

So, are you Cincinnatians getting fired up for soccer yet? Looks like they've created a rivalry cup for the FC Cincinnati-Louisville City "derby."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle...CLID=210690793
    There's definitely some buzz around town. I get stopped regularly by people whenever I wear my FC Cincy hoodie out and about -- lot of people saying they've got seasons or are planning on getting them.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

Soccer has never been my thing, I just haven't given it a fair shake I'm certain.

Here in Louisville we have Louisville City 'the Coopers' as it were....and I frankly have no clue how it works. I know they are in the USL, but I don't get if that's Triple A, Double A, Single A, Independent....I know it's not the big leagues, but I get the impression it's close. Last year they had the leading goal scorer, a record setter actually, and they sold him to another franchise. To me that doesn't make a lot of sense when it comes to building continuity and establishing an identity.

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is, after so many years rejecting it, I'm willing to give it a try if only I could get my head around the off field side of things in terms of league and all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The top three professional tiers in the US are MLS, NASL and USL. Tiers below USL generally consist of amateur clubs.

You are properly familiar with MLS already.

NASL consists of fully independent clubs and are not affiliates of MLS clubs. They compete on their own terms and view themselves as a competitor to MLS, although MLS is rapidly growing the resource and talent gap with NASL. New York Cosmos is the most widely known NASL club.

USL is a mix of MLS affiliates (e.g. Sounders II) that are in effect, the soccer equivalent of a baseball minor league team, independents with agreements with MLS clubs (e.g. Pittsburgh with Columbus Crew SC, where the MLS club will loan a handful of players), and fully independent clubs. FC Cincinnati is joining this level and be fully independent because they aspire to join MLS as quickly as MLS will allow them.

There is no promotion and relegation in American soccer, but some of the MLS clubs have moved up from the lower levels after an invite from MLS and paying a $100M franchise fee. Portland did this and Minnesota will join soon.

MLS is rapidly growing in strength both financially and on the field. USL is similarly expanding the number of clubs quickly mostly due to many of their clubs having ties to MLS clubs.

I hope this helps.

If you're interested r/MLS is a great and welcoming community (still small enough that there are few jerks). They run a weekly ask anything thread for curious newbies trying to feel their way around the Byzantine world that is MLS.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-06-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

17. Likes:

Joseph (02-06-2016)

I think the endgame to all this (wayyyy down the line) is the USL becoming a league full of affiliates to the MLS (the AAA to MLS's MLB, to put it in baseball terms) and either a 30 team MLS or a 40 team MLS split into two 20 team "leagues" (each league plays 38 game round-robin schedule -- top teams go to a "playoff" with top teams of the opposite league).
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-08-2016)

Although Nippert Stadium is only 3 miles from downtown, why did they not obtain Paul Brown Stadium? I would think it would be good for downtown action etc. Although their games could collide with the Reds schedule. (I have not read the entire thread so this topic could have been mentioned. If so, sorry.)

They could have tarped over the upper bowl like this to cover the empty seats.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Turn Off Ads?