Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

Congrats, Cincy!

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (05-30-2018),Chip R (05-29-2018),dabvu2498 (05-29-2018),reds1869 (05-29-2018),Redsfaithful (05-29-2018),Roy Tucker (05-29-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Great news for the city. Glad to finally see the official announcement!
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Today was so surreal.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

membengal (05-30-2018),reds1869 (05-30-2018)

Congratulations to anyone who was pulling for this!

Good Luck.

Hope all works out and that this Ownership (group) is the opposite of Mike Brown and Castellini, that they could care less about the social elite of the Tri-County area and that their only concern is for their fans and players.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I fully admit to hating parity and thinking it's the worst thing that can happen to a sports league. Makes things boring. I'm a Reds fan because of the BRM, which was the opposite of parity.

But beyond that I think you've got it 100% backwards here. There's still going to be super clubs. In fact, there already are. Check out the current payroll disparity - http://www.spotrac.com/mls/cap/. The things you think are protecting you just serve to reinforce second-class status. It's not that cool to get invited to the party if all you're going to do is stand in the corner all night. That's what happened in other sports.

Yet for the next 50 years or so, MLS is not going to be one of the top leagues in the world. That means the door is wide open to clubs that can get a good stadium situation and draw. The entire northeast corridor is struggling with that. So is Chicago. FCC should clean our clocks. This is an easily disrupted market and FCC has leveraged the things that will separate the haves and have nots for the foreseeable future. In this case the restricted system is going to keep a lot of deadwood hanging around with your team.

You're riding on a big dog. Don't worry about stomping on some toy poodles.
    I had no idea payroll was so small in the MLS. It's about the size of a AAA baseball team at what looks like a mean of just under $10M.

Is that what MLS teams are compared to the rest of the World, though they have to be a bit better as they often pull out wins against teams from the World's best leagues, where even the best AAA teams should never defeat the worst MLB team.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-30-2018 at 02:16 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I had no idea payroll was so small in the MLS. It's about the size of a AAA baseball team at what looks like a mean of just under $10M.

Is that what MLS teams are compared to the rest of the World, though they have to be a bit better as they often pull out wins against teams from the World's best leagues, where even the best AAA teams should never defeat the worst MLB team.
    Ronaldo made 28 million last year, in salary alone.

So, yes.

though they have to be a bit better as they often pull out wins against teams from the World's best leagues
    This doesn’t really mean what you think. These games are exhibition games during the offseason of the “world’s best” in which the best players either don’t play or don’t play much. I can assure you if Bayern Munich played the MLS all stars at full strength and putting forth 100% effort the final score would be around 10-0.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-30-2018),Spanky (05-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This doesn’t really mean what you think. These games are exhibition games during the offseason of the “world’s best” in which the best players either don’t play or don’t play much. I can assure you if Bayern Munich played the MLS all stars at full strength and putting forth 100% effort the final score would be around 10-0.
    Dude, Bayern does that to half their league!

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-30-2018)

I'd say the league plays above its pay level. Would be nice to catch up to Mexico, which has a really good league - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liga...ettbewerb/MEX1.

It's not comparable to top tier Euro leagues, and it's not going to be. It's a global sport, and we're no threat to those at the top.

Yet the best teams in MLS could give a good game to the worst teams in top leagues, largely because their worst teams are pretty bad.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Don't know if we've got any Louisville City fans here, but they just beat New England in the U.S. Open Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Don't know if we've got any Louisville City fans here, but they just beat New England in the U.S. Open Cup.
    LouCity fans only exist on twitter or in masks at Slugger Field.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Still makes them more numerous than Revs fans.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Their fans really are the worst.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sounds like FC Cincinnati is going for a rebrand for the MLS squad. So far it sounds like the F in FC will be Fußball and the colors will stay, but they have hired the same brand agency that did the new Juventus badge for the rebrand. Personally, I'm still a fan of them rebranding as FC Porkopolis and trading the lion for a flying pig. At a minimum, I feel like one of their supporters groups could be the Porkopolitans.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Sounds like FC Cincinnati is going for a rebrand for the MLS squad. So far it sounds like the F in FC will be Fußball and the colors will stay, but they have hired the same brand agency that did the new Juventus badge for the rebrand. Personally, I'm still a fan of them rebranding as FC Porkopolis and trading the lion for a flying pig. At a minimum, I feel like one of their supporters groups could be the Porkopolitans.
    I heard about this. I don't exactly care for it. It really doesn't matter, but why change it when everything is rolling along.

I get where you are coming from history wise, but in athletics I am much more in favor of a lion as opposed to a pig.

21. Likes:

Chip R (06-11-2018)

Turn Off Ads?