Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy might need to go

Re: Billy might need to go

he is a great defender. But if he can´t hit atleast a little he has problems staying on a team with lots of low OBP guys in the lineup.

I know that he is on pace for another great WAR season, the problem is that it comes (almost only) from his defence. I´m not a huge fan of defensive metrics...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wait, I thought Billy was tracking for the MVP?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

4. Likes:

ScotlandRed (06-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    A team can win with Hamilton as its CF. Of that I'm sure.

I'm not sure a team can win with Hamilton as its CF and a bunch of other low OBP guys throughout the lineup.
    which of these guys currently has a low OBP?
    Votto, Frazier, Bruce, Suarez/Cozart, Phillips, Pena, Byrd.

ok Byrd.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I have zero problem with him playing if he's batting ninth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

IMO the only change that should be considered at this point for Billy isn't whether to send him down or not...it's whether or not to scrap the switch hitting. I understood and liked the idea at first, but he doesn't really need that extra step towards first IMO. He needs better at bats and contact than he needs that step.

His bunting fundamentals alone from the left side are enough for me to want to see him end the switch hitting experiment.

8. Likes:

OGB (06-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Howsam's and they chose Geronimo because he had an unbelievable large stride, which played well in the large plastic OF
    That intercontinental ballistic missile attached to his torso helped a bit too.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-26-2015),Revering4Blue (06-27-2015)

While I do agree he needs to get better at bunting, I don't want it to become an exclusive weapon for him. Remember that hit he had in CHI when Bryant was in expecting a bunt? Good things can happen when the corners are drawn in and you can slap it past them. I'd also fine him $100 if he swings at a 1st pitch. I wouldn't care if it was a meatball in the heart of the plate or a hanging curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    which of these guys currently has a low OBP?
    Votto, Frazier, Bruce, Suarez/Cozart, Phillips, Pena, Byrd.

ok Byrd.

pena has a BABIP .041 higher than his career and a BB/K ratio more than twice as high as his career

phillips BABIP is his 2nd highest in his career

suarez is riding a .394 BABIP

while I like what I see from those guys (some numbers aren´t that good though) I just don´t see how they can sustain them. I hope they do...

negron, barnhart, skip etc. don´t get on base either
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    To these untrained eyes, he hits the ball in the air way too many times.
    Personally, I don't want to see him pounding the ball into the ground either though. I want him to focus on line drives. I don't think he has to be an extreme hitter...only ground balls. I'd treat him like any other hitter. Focus on sharply hit line drives.

14. Likes:

Chip R (06-26-2015),gilpdawg (06-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I'm not a fan of comparing Billy to Paul Janish. (I know you're not saying they're carbon copies as players -- I get what you're saying -- but I strongly disagree.) Janish was still in Double-A and Triple-A when he was Billy's age. While Janish was a very good defensive SS, he was not the elite defender that Billy is. Billy will win a Gold Glove this year. Did Janish ever do that? Of course not.

Also, Billy gets on base about the same as Janish did (again, Janish was an older player though) ... but Billy is extremely disruptive every time he gets on base. So, even offensively, he's a better player than Janish ever was ... and Billy is still very young and will improve as a hitter IMO.

Billy is a far better prospect than Janish ever was. I agree Billy needs to start hitting better, but I think people are forgetting how young he is and that he is a guy that always showed improvement at the minor league level. It's taking him longer at the MLB level than we would all like, but I'm confident he'll get there.
    I think you're underestimating Janish's glove when he first came up. If he was getting playing time like Billy is...yeah, he'd be in the running for GG's too. If, and this is a big "if", they ignored a players' offensive game. Which they obviously don't for some unknown reason. Janish's defense was (WAS...he's lost quite a bit the past several years) better than Cozarts.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Billy needs to give up switch hitting. It's not benefiting him or the Reds. He looks so much better from the right side.
    Of course he's hitting RH against LHP. You think he'd do better against RHP as a RH bat? I think he'd be even worse by giving the opposition back the advantage on the breaking ball. He may make Negron look like Babe Ruth.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

Raisor (06-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think you're underestimating Janish's glove when he first came up. If he was getting playing time like Billy is...yeah, he'd be in the running for GG's too. If, and this is a big "if", they ignored a players' offensive game. Which they obviously don't for some unknown reason. Janish's defense was (WAS...he's lost quite a bit the past several years) better than Cozarts.
    Why do you argue that Janish has lost a lot of his defensive ability?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    IMO the only change that should be considered at this point for Billy isn't whether to send him down or not...it's whether or not to scrap the switch hitting. I understood and liked the idea at first, but he doesn't really need that extra step towards first IMO. He needs better at bats and contact than he needs that step.

His bunting fundamentals alone from the left side are enough for me to want to see him end the switch hitting experiment.
    I also think he should hit right-handed only, unless there is a firm commitment from both Hamilton and management that he become a true slap hitter (and I don't think there has been such a commitment from either party), and even then he would be pretty late in his development to start an entirely new philosophy.

I'm OK with maybe waiting until the offseason before ending the switch-hitting experiment, as the adjustment to hitting the curve/slider might be made more easily during the winter.

However, the funny thing is I remember reading on RedsZone last year that some people were calling for him to scrap batting RH, and exclusively bat LH instead.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

He's tracking for platoonville.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why do you argue that Janish has lost a lot of his defensive ability?
    His range and his age. Assumption on my part there as I haven't seen him in 2 years. He's, what...33 now?

But Paul and Zack at the same age and same playing time...Janish by a long ways IMO. His range was better, his footwork was just as good as Zack's and his arm was a ton better too.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?