Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Suarez

Re: Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So far, Reds giving no indication how they might integrate both Suarez and Senzel into the lineup.

If Cozart gets traded, maybe Suarez plays some shortstop. Maybe early next year we see Senzel try a different position.

If the Reds want to have a high OBP type offense, with Winker, Suarez, Senzel, Votto, they need at some point to find positions for everyone. No rush, but so far it's a mystery.
    Actually, in the Reddit AMA, Dick said if Suarez continues to play such good defense while providing a solid bat they would look into moving Senzel to 2B.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-24-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I really wish they'd just give him another shot at SS. I think they moved him off too soon, partly out of necessity of course. But I'd see if his defensive improvements can translate to SS.. If they can, his bat at SS makes him one of the best in the league.

Give me a Senzel and Suarez left side of the infield. Scooter and whoever at 2b. Votto at 1b. Thats a potentially great infield.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

5. Likes:

Donder (07-24-2017),Edd Roush (07-24-2017),mth123 (08-12-2017),OnBaseMachine (07-24-2017),Raisor (07-26-2017),RedsRocker (08-12-2017)

After a pretty long slump, Suarez has rebounded well the last week.

Current slash line of:
    .262/.362/.467/.829

Amazing how you can survive extended slumps as a hitter if you're willing to take a walk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I really wish they'd just give him another shot at SS. I think they moved him off too soon, partly out of necessity of course. But I'd see if his defensive improvements can translate to SS.. If they can, his bat at SS makes him one of the best in the league.

Give me a Senzel and Suarez left side of the infield. Scooter and whoever at 2b. Votto at 1b. Thats a potentially great infield.
    +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

Chip R (07-24-2017),cincyinco (07-24-2017),DocRed (07-24-2017),Edd Roush (07-24-2017),Griffey012 (07-24-2017),OGB (08-14-2017),REDREAD (07-24-2017)

I'd look at Suarez to SS or 2B as well. He has played they MI at the MLB level before and it would be a more natural move for him. Yes, Senzel has played 2B in college and lower levels, but that's still not MLB. He's been at 3B since being drafted and seems to be in a groove offensively. I don't want to mess with that by having him learn a new position (and the required footwork). Leave him in place and move Suarez.

This season is toast. If Cozart is dealt (and I believe he will be), I immediately move Eugenio to SS for an extended audition and get Gennett AB's at 3B (with some starts for Kivlehan and possibly Darnell Sweeney [taking ZC's roster spot] as well). One of the reasons for his acquisition was to fill the void at SS. If Suarez can handle the move back to SS defensively, his bat plays big there. I'm fine with his offensive production at 3B, but unlike others, I don't see him as established over Senzel.

Senzel's offensive potential (especially OBP/OPS) gives him priority over Suarez IMO whether you're talking about who stays at 3B or who is dealt for pitching. And yes, I am fine with dealing either for a Top of the (Reds) Rotation starter. The difference between them being that I'm willing to package Suarez with two or three other pieces for a strong arm. When it comes to Senzel though, I'm wanting an Elite young arm without much sweetener.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-24-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Age 25 season:

-.841 OPS
    -On pace for 25 HR
    -13.1% BB rate! (.106 IsoD)
    -Plus defender

The Reds need to find a way to keep both Senzel and Suarez. Suarez's development has added another much needed high on base hitter to the lineup, and there's still room for improvement in his bat, IMO.

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-14-2017),DocRed (08-12-2017),Edd Roush (08-12-2017),Griffey012 (08-13-2017),mth123 (08-12-2017),Norse1978 (08-12-2017),OGB (08-14-2017),reds44 (08-13-2017),RedsfaninMT (08-19-2017),RedsRocker (08-12-2017),RedTeamGo! (08-12-2017),Tom Servo (08-12-2017),_Sir_Charles_ (08-12-2017)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd look at Suarez to SS or 2B as well. He has played they MI at the MLB level before and it would be a more natural move for him. Yes, Senzel has played 2B in college and lower levels, but that's still not MLB. He's been at 3B since being drafted and seems to be in a groove offensively. I don't want to mess with that by having him learn a new position (and the required footwork). Leave him in place and move Suarez.

This season is toast. If Cozart is dealt (and I believe he will be), I immediately move Eugenio to SS for an extended audition and get Gennett AB's at 3B (with some starts for Kivlehan and possibly Darnell Sweeney [taking ZC's roster spot] as well). One of the reasons for his acquisition was to fill the void at SS. If Suarez can handle the move back to SS defensively, his bat plays big there. I'm fine with his offensive production at 3B, but unlike others, I don't see him as established over Senzel.

Senzel's offensive potential (especially OBP/OPS) gives him priority over Suarez IMO whether you're talking about who stays at 3B or who is dealt for pitching. And yes, I am fine with dealing either for a Top of the (Reds) Rotation starter. The difference between them being that I'm willing to package Suarez with two or three other pieces for a strong arm. When it comes to Senzel though, I'm wanting an Elite young arm without much sweetener.
    This bolded statement seems to contradict itself. Senzel is feeling it and is in a great place right now in all aspects of his game so you don't want to move him. Suarez is having a breakout year, producing at a high level both offensively and defensively and yet you DO want to move him.

IMO the difference is age. It's easier for the younger guy to adapt to a new position than the older guy. Plus we've already moved Suarez once...now that he's finding success we want to do it again? Sorry, this rationale is baffling to me. (and no, it's not just you...just used your post as an example)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Age 25 season:

-.841 OPS
    -On pace for 25 HR
    -13.1% BB rate! (.106 IsoD)
    -Plus defender

The Reds need to find a way to keep both Senzel and Suarez. Suarez's development has added another much needed high on base hitter to the lineup, and there's still room for improvement in his bat, IMO.
    If the Reds really want to get something productive out of the 40 man roster try out period in September, they'd recall Senzel and stick Suarez back at SS. Fooling with fringe types who will probably get the call won't add anything. I get the whole clock thing, but giving those guys reps together seems a fairly high priority task.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

reds44 (08-13-2017)

Why does Senzel have to be promoted to try Suarez at SS? Let a rotation of Gennett/Peraza/Blandino cover the other two infield spots. Hell, maybe even try Duvall at 3B? The Reds have nothing to lose...

15. Likes:

757690 (08-15-2017),Edd Roush (08-12-2017),kpresidente (08-12-2017),Old school 1983 (08-13-2017),reds44 (08-12-2017)

Suarez crushed his 20th homer Thursday on a fastball from Padres reliever Brad Hand. The ball left his bat at 106.7 mph and traveled a Statcast-projected 451 feet. It was Suarez's second-longest homer in the past three seasons and the longest by any Reds player in Cincinnati this season.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/articl...picId=26688732

Mark Sheldon
    @msheldon

With a smaller bench and one less middle infield backup, Price said Suarez would take grounders at SS and could play there again #reds
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2017),AlaskaReds (08-12-2017),cincyinco (08-13-2017),Edd Roush (08-12-2017),Griffey012 (08-13-2017),OhioRiverBarge (08-12-2017),Raisor (08-12-2017),reds44 (08-12-2017),Revering4Blue (08-12-2017),RiverRat13 (08-12-2017),Ron Madden (08-12-2017),TommyJ (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why does Senzel have to be promoted to try Suarez at SS? Let a rotation of Gennett/Peraza/Blandino cover the other two infield spots. Hell, maybe even try Duvall at 3B? The Reds have nothing to lose...
    He doesn't, but I think there is value in them working together for a month and a half. I'm usually the first guy who wants to finagle the service time thing, but in this case, I want to speed up putting this horrible stretch of rebuild in the rear view mirror and the more they (Suarez and Senzel that is) work together at SS/3B, well that's one less thing on the to do list, which is quite lengthy. Same reason I was for acquiring a Frontline Starter now. It would be nice to have the veteran rotation leader already on board going into the winter. Lots to do to turn this around IMO and rebuilding an entire rotation in one off-season is an unrealistic expectation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I guess we're getting a preview of what happens when Senzel arrives in the majors.

I could see a very nice infield next year of Votto, Gennett, Suarez, Senzel.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...top/562443001/

Price said before Saturday’s game. “I don't think it'd be unusual to see a lineup with Suarez at short at some point before the season's over.”

Although he’s turned himself into a good third baseman, Suarez said he still considers shortstop his “natural position.” He was told Saturday that he should prepare to take some ground balls at shortstop and be prepared to play there, if necessary.

“I feel good right now playing third base,” Suarez said. “If they need me at shortstop, I feel happy to be back at my position.”

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2017),cincyinco (08-13-2017),Edd Roush (08-12-2017),Griffey012 (08-12-2017),Mitri (08-12-2017),reds44 (08-13-2017),TommyJ (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    We are now 3 full months into the season and Suarez has a .260/.363/.446 slash line with a 113 wRC+, which would be a career high. After his hot start that included an April wRC+ of 165, he has followed that up with a 99 in May and an 83 in June.

His power has seemingly disappeared in June, but he was also walking at a Vottoesque clip. I look for him to have a monster 2nd half as he seems to have figured out something plate discipline wise this season, now he just needs to bring the power back in.
    Called it...so far.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-12-2017),WrongVerb (08-12-2017)

Yes to Suarez at SS please.

Senzel at third, Suarez at short.. Scooter at second and Votto. Peraza can be the utility guy in my opinion. The starting IF would have a shot to put up some considerable offensive numbers.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?