Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros Targeting Cueto over Cole Hamels

Re: Astros Targeting Cueto over Cole Hamels

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    If by too long you mean they shouldve dealt him last winter or earlier I might agree. If you're talking about this season I 100% disagree.
    Last winter, last year, or earlier this year.

They waited too long, and the return diminishes. The mindset that the closer to the deadline the greater the return is leftover from days gone by, in my opinion.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-29-2015),Banshee (06-29-2015),jojo (06-29-2015),RedEye (06-29-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (06-29-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hernandez and Santana both have the same problem - contact issues. I'd want Phillips, Velazquez, and either Hernandez or Santana
    The difference is Santana has legit power...Hernandez is all potential. Unrealized up until now. We've already got players like that. And I also don't want a strikeout machine who'll end up flopping in the bigs because of it (Santana IMO). Plus, neither profiles as anything except a sub-par on base player. Another thing we don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

They waited too long, and the return diminishes. The mindset that the closer to the deadline the greater the return is leftover from days gone by, in my opinion.
    I tend to agree - whoever we get I am betting most of Redszone ranges in mood from disappointed to meltdown.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

6. Likes:

jojo (06-29-2015),REDREAD (06-29-2015),thatcoolguy_22 (06-29-2015)

I am not sure why high K hitting numbers from Astros prospects would make people not want those prospects - the Astros have built an offense around grip it and rip it power - while accepting that Ks are a part of that process. They value high SLG and it is an approach that is absolutely paying off for them. If they have legit bats with good SLG histories in the minors who are close, those seem like good targets for the Reds.

History says the best time to trade a player is at the trading deadline. That is diminished a little now because of the new rule about qualifying offers, but the at the same time, the second wild card had created more buyers and less sellers at the deadline.

Last trade deadline, the first one with the new rules, saw players traded at the deadline get huge returns, but most of the returns were MLB starters, due to the current overvaluing of prospects. Two months of Lester cost the A's a middle of the lineup bat/strong defender, who they were able to then use to acquire one of the best young pitchers in the game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

marcshoe (06-29-2015),OGB (06-30-2015),REDREAD (06-29-2015),Revering4Blue (06-29-2015)

The most opportune time to trade Cueto is a fair debate. I had no qualms with holding onto him for one more run, but I certainly understand where those who advocated an offseason trade are coming from. But if we're talking Houston specifically, who knew they'd be a contender this year? I don't think an offseason trade with them would've been possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

11. Likes:

cincinnati chili (07-01-2015),OGB (06-30-2015),Old school 1983 (06-29-2015),REDREAD (06-29-2015)

It just depends on how desperate a team is at the trading deadline. Someone like the Dodgers may be getting very desperate to make a World Series (haven't been in WS since 1988) and having Johnny Cueto as a number three starter would be huge in the playoffs. The Astros may not be so much. They are very young and are sort of a surprise to be contending at this stage. They may not want to trade any established players or high level prospects right now.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 06-29-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

marcshoe (06-29-2015),RiverRat13 (06-29-2015)

I tend to agree - whoever we get I am betting most of Redszone ranges in mood from disappointed to meltdown.
    Well unless the return includes a top 25 overall prospect then the reactions will likely be mostly negative. Thats just the way things go. Its easy to dislike the trade of a talent like Cueto in return for a handful of unknowns with potential

15. Likes:

757690 (06-29-2015)

Gregorson's been pitching well lately, but I still think the Astros wouldn't mind an upgrade. I like the idea of packaging Cueto and Chapman to get a monster return, wherever you send them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

OGB (06-30-2015),Tom Servo (06-29-2015)

You're devaluing the month of ball that is left to be played and the unknowns that come with that.

This is OUR team he is in control of. If he wont deal with them because of some past bad blood, then fire him. Now, no questions asked. Do what is best for the team, man up and get the sand out of his pants.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 06-29-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    You're devaluing the month of ball that is left to be played and the unknowns that come with that.
    Exactly. People keep saying teams are trading for two months of Cueto. That's in accurate. They are trading for increasing their odds of winning a championship... you know, the actual reason why they play the games in the first place.

Too many people use the fantasy baseball mindset of accumulating stats and points as being the ultimate goal, instead of winning banners to fly over the stadium.

21. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-29-2015),OGB (06-30-2015),Old school 1983 (06-29-2015),REDREAD (06-29-2015),Revering4Blue (06-29-2015),Rojo Rijo (06-29-2015)

That bust Mark Appel better not be the main piece in the deal. Career 5.61 ERA in the minors with a 1.48 WHIP. And this season is right in line with his career numbers. After 13 starts at AA and one at AAA, he has a 5.02 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP. 66.1 IP, 75 H, 50 K, 25 BB. I almost vomited looking at those stats.

As long as Appel is not the main piece in a deal, I would love trading Cueto to the Astros. They have a loaded farm system. And maybe we could get one of their current young OFs in the deal -- Preston Tucker or Domingo Santana.

Not surprised to hear a team wants Cueto more than Hamels. Johnny Cueto is a better pitcher than Cole Hamels and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Gregorson's been pitching well lately, but I still think the Astros wouldn't mind an upgrade. I like the idea of packaging Cueto and Chapman to get a monster return, wherever you send them.
    I think this is the best way to go as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

24. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-29-2015)

I agree, but that will be true no matter who the Reds get.

I'm guessing most of Redszone will be upset with who the Reds get at the trade deadline. Then around this time next season, they will be "in appreciation of" threads about the very players they complained about. And for the record, I will likely be a very guilty party to all of that.

26. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-29-2015),marcshoe (06-29-2015),OGB (06-30-2015),REDREAD (06-29-2015)

Turn Off Ads?