Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A lot of buzz re: Cueto, Astros

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

A lot of buzz re: Cueto, Astros

... On MLB social media today. If Houston winds up being a prime trading partner, who would you target? Personally, would love to pry AJ Reed from them, but not sure if he's available or a fit for the Reds with Votto's long-term deal.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A lot of buzz re: Cueto, Astros

I know we all want hitters, but either Lance McCullers or Vincent Velasquez would be a really nice get.

I can see why Reed's stats (and alma mater) are appealing to people, but he's a college 1B/DH raking in the California League which means that he may end up being good, but the 1.000 OPS he has put up this year is wildly inflated by his environment.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

OGB (07-15-2015),RedlegJake (07-14-2015)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Would Velasquez + Phillips be asking too much? Probably.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-14-2015)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I did see an Astros fan proposal of:

Velasquez, Phillips, Kemp for Cueto, Chapman.

Personally I'd want them to add Josh Hader. If they asked for an upside pitcher from A+ or below, like Mahle or Sampson, I'd do that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Phillips is a better fit, but it better take more than that. Add Valesquez, too. Steep price for a rental but not for a division title and shot at the pennant

Posted at the same time Dan - if they want both I agree they need to add another guy to the 3 you named. Hader would be a good one.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-14-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (07-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know we all want hitters, but either Lance McCullers or Vincent Velasquez would be a really nice get.

I can see why Reed's stats (and alma mater) are appealing to people, but he's a college 1B/DH raking in the California League which means that he may end up being good, but the 1.000 OPS he has put up this year is wildly inflated by his environment.
    No.. we don't all want hitters. the pitching of this team is the real mess. The hitting, not really so much. This team needs 2, count 'em two TOR guys and at least 3 bullpen arms. Probably 4.

Hitting? nah. The offense mostly is ok.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

CrosleyField (07-15-2015),RED VAN HOT (07-14-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (07-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No.. we don't all want hitters. the pitching of this team is the real mess. The hitting, not really so much. This team needs 2, count 'em two TOR guys and at least 3 bullpen arms. Probably 4.

Hitting? nah. The offense mostly is ok.
    I agree that pitching is the bigger problem at the major league level right now, but you don't agree that the system overall is a bit pitching heavy?

Really, all I really care about is getting the best players available, whether they hit or pitch.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (07-14-2015),corkedbat (07-14-2015),fondfoat (07-15-2015),kbrake (07-14-2015),MattyVTX (07-14-2015),OGB (07-15-2015),PuffyPig (07-14-2015),RedsRocker (07-15-2015),RiverRat13 (07-14-2015),SirFelixCat (07-14-2015),UKFlounder (07-14-2015),villain612 (07-14-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (07-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Would Velasquez + Phillips be asking too much? Probably.
    That's what I would insist on. I'd be willing to sub McCullers for Velasquez. Anything less and you'd see Johnny in Blue (Jays or Dodgers).
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (07-14-2015)

I'd give them, Cueto, Chapman, and Bruce for Correa

Cueto and Byrd for Preston Tucker, Tyler White, Josh Hader and either Phillips or Chris Devenski. Depends if you want more quantity, in that case you ask for the 1st 3 plus Devenski or quality.....so sub Phillips for Tyler White and then no Devenski.

Astros seem to be the team showing the most interest lately according to these rumors, but I'm still thinking he'll go to the Royals.

If it is the Astros, I'd love to see Velasquez and Kemp. I saw Kemp play in Fresno last month when I was visiting my parents. He went 2 for 4, and looked really good.

I still think we deal with the Jays. They just HAVE to make a run this year right? How many years are they going to be pretty good, but not get over the hump waiting on Boston and NYY to get it together again and flex their muscles?

If they aren't buying difference-making rentals this year, they could really be regretting a missed window pretty soon. Bautista, Reyes, and Edwin aren't that young anymore.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I saw Kemp play in Fresno last month when I was visiting my parents. He went 2 for 4, and looked really good.
    I expect that statement to be in Baseball America's Prospect Handbook next year!!!!

21. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I expect that statement to be in Baseball America's Prospect Handbook next year!!!!
    As long as I get compensation for my expert scouting work.

If we're trading Cueto to Houston, I want JJ Watt in return.

24. Likes:

Benihana (07-14-2015),CySeymour (07-14-2015),Hoosier Red (07-14-2015),JayBruceFan (07-15-2015),MattyVTX (07-14-2015),Old school 1983 (07-14-2015),RedTeamGo! (07-14-2015),RiverRat13 (07-14-2015),Spider Tre (07-16-2015),StillFunkyB (07-26-2015),swaisuc (07-14-2015),thatcoolguy_22 (07-14-2015),WrongVerb (07-14-2015)

Turn Off Ads?