Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Re: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    I live in MT and access my house off of I-90, but what's this traffic and merging you speak of?
    It's what you do when a herd of buffalo is going the same direction you're going. And always remember to zipper-merge with the buffalo.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

2. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-19-2017),RedsfaninMT (08-19-2017),RichRed (08-21-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It's what you do when a herd of buffalo is going the same direction you're going. And always remember to zipper-merge with the buffalo.
    I just did more research. Many parents in Minnesota are telling their kids that if they zipper-merge too much they'll go blind.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm guility sometimes of this as well so don't take it personally...

But if society doesn't zipper merge...in a way doesn't that make the driver zooming by in the open lane a bit of a prick? I see the zoomers by who dive and bully their way in at the last second...I have a hard time saying they are "correct" due to the zipper merge philosophy that works on paper. Kind of a violation of societal norms, no?

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-19-2017),Redsfaithful (08-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

But if society doesn't zipper merge...in a way doesn't that make the driver zooming by in the open lane a bit of a prick? I see the zoomers by who dive and bully their way in at the last second...I have a hard time saying they are "correct" due to the zipper merge philosophy that works on paper. Kind of a violation of societal norms, no?
    I used to have a winter coat with a balky zipper that would come lose on the bottom when you were zipping it, then refuse to zip up anymore. I'd always end up with the zipper hanging together by one stubborn tooth, uselessly refusing to move up or down.

That's what happens when you zipper-merge solo. It takes cooperation.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Of course that's what they're being. The kind of behavior you're (and I was) talking about isn't "Oh, I was taught this when I took driver's ed and I think everyone's on the same page." stuff. They just feel entitled and generally think that the road is theirs and that everyone else needs to be looking out for them. They'll do the same thing when the get out of their car.

"Ma'am...why are you trying to cut the line for entrance to the movie? We've all been waiting longer than you."

"I am NOT cutting the line! I am zipper-merging! How rude of you!!"
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I've tried the zipper thing a couple times and have been the recipient of road rage in return. Particularly truckers these days. They used to be to the keepers of the light for good road behavior but any more, they are just as bad as anyone else.

So I get in line miles before the lane closing and try to find my happy place and not get pissed when I see a perfectly good empty lane that could be facilitating quicker traffic.

And when he feels the world is closing in
    He turns his stereo way up high

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Both lanes should be used until the merge, but I've given up fighting this anywhere but online. You're incorrect, all the drivers that get mad about this are incorrect, it literally makes everyone take longer by merging earlier, and you're doing the opposite of what is intended:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
    I've been doing some more research on this, and I ran into a NY Times article on it. I see that there may be some residual situational benefit, but found the following interesting given your claim that it "makes everyone take longer":

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/u...r-traffic.html

"As traffic flows, the data suggests that while speeds are slower and the travel time may not be shorter, traffic continues to move and is predictable..."
    And is Ohio a "zipper-merge" state?

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've tried the zipper thing a couple times and have been the recipient of road rage in return.
    Yep, this is why I gave up.

The trucker thing is something I've noticed too, and it happened fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I appreciate you posting the MN DOT link though.
    Welcome, obviously (I would've thought anyway) it was just the first google result for zipper merge.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Turn Signals and Automobile Accident Statistics
    Whether it’s turning into a parking lot, switching lanes on the highway, or pulling out of a side street, when a driver uses their turn signal, they are allowing others know their desired path. Using turn signals is especially crucial in order to avoid accidents on the highway as cars are moving very fast.

According to research by the Society of Automotive Engineers, drivers either neglect to use their signals when changing lanes or fail to turn the signals off 48% of the time. When making a turn the failure rate is around 25%. That works out to 2 billion times a day drivers fail to use signals — 750 billion times annually!

Ohio Turn Signal Laws
    Ohio law says, “No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a highway… without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.”

A motorist must give a turn signal or intention to turn left or right continuously during at least the last one hundred feet traveled before turning.
    A vehicle’s speed is not to be stopped or suddenly decreased without the appropriate signals being given first.
    The turn signal required is given by signal lights (or by hands and arm if on a bicycle) to both the approaching and the following traffic.
    For those who violate this section of the Ohio Revised Code (4511.39) are guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If a driver who violated this law was previously convicted or pleaded guilty within one year to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, they would be guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. And if within one year of violating this section, the driver was previously convicted of two or more predicate offenses, they would face a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Safe Driving – Communicating With Turn Signals
    Turn signals act as a form of communication. Without using the blinker, another driver has no idea when you might be going and you can’t assume what moves they will make either. Engaging your turn signal allows for all surrounding vehicles to adequately prepare for the next sequence of events, benefitting the safety of all traffic involved. Before you begin to turn, you should always provide enough time for the other drivers to recognize that you are about to turn, and enough space for you to make this turn.

Below are some specific examples in which you should use your turn signals:

Making turns
    Switching lanes
    Intersections and traffic lights
    Overtaking a cyclist
    Pulling away
    Parking
    You might not always be aware that you are violating a traffic law, however, this doesn’t mean you won’t be cited for doing so. Keeping these points in mind will make for a safer, more responsible driving attitude and help reduce traffic accidents by making sure all road users are aware of the driver’s intentions.
    http://ohiodiminishedvalue.com/hard-use-turn-signal/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

I always thought turn signals were just for show in Ohio.

#buckeyedriverjokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?