Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I do a tremendous amount of interstate driving in the summer for my job, and I have come to the point that when talking about truck drivers, I consider a turn signal their warning they are changing lanes. Too many times recently I've had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear ending a semi because they changed lanes regardless if I was about to, or already had, reached their bumper. I'm not accusing all truck drivers of doing this, but too many of them do, and I am never going to win that battle.

What even chaps my you know what even more, is that when a truck driver does this and then proceeds to go .5 mph faster than the truck they are passing, then taking several miles to pass it. The interstates have become dangerous, you have to be defensive at all times while also trying to anticipate what everyone else is going to do. Long trips just stress me out anymore.
    I know just the behavior you're talking about, and I absolutely do not get it. Those truckers can't be that oblivious. I'm sure there is some governing of engines that might play into that, but even so, couldn't the trucks being passed slow down a hair so the passing truck can get by faster and open the lanes up again? Very, very frustrating.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

2. Turn Off Ads?

The interstates have become dangerous, you have to be defensive at all times while also trying to anticipate what everyone else is going to do. Long trips just stress me out anymore.
    This is what I was taught to do. I remember clearly when I was 16, heading toward an intersection with my dad in the passenger seat and him saying, "OK now, don't forget to plan like some idiot is going to just run that red light and slam into us. Never approach a green light like it means you should just motor on through the intersection without being prepared."

Best piece of driving advice I ever got.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

Chip R (09-29-2015)

I've learned to love US routes that run along the basic paths of the interstates.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-02-2015),SunDeck (09-28-2015),WrongVerb (09-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    This is what I was taught to do. I remember clearly when I was 16, heading toward an intersection with my dad in the passenger seat and him saying, "OK now, don't forget to plan like some idiot is going to just run that red light and slam into us. Never approach a green light like it means you should just motor on through the intersection without being prepared."

Best piece of driving advice I ever got.
    Best piece I ever had was "don't leave your interference" at an intersection. Meaning, if a big truck is next to you, don't pull out from beside it until it pulls into the intersection. Saved my life one time, did that one. And when I lived in FL, I worked with a guy whose gf was killed in an accident much the same way for not heeding that advice.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

8. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-01-2015),SunDeck (09-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've learned to love US routes that run along the basic paths of the interstates.
    There's something satisfying about going along at 50 or 55 (whatever the limit is) on that stretch, looking across an open patch of land, and seeing cars sitting still on the interstate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What even chaps my you know what even more, is that when a truck driver does this and then proceeds to go .5 mph faster than the truck they are passing, then taking several miles to pass it.
    Those things don't exactly accelerate quickly.... so I understand it taking them a little bit to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Those things don't exactly accelerate quickly.... so I understand it taking them a little bit to pass.
    In that case (which is not most cases, I usually see trucks pass clean and quick) where the acceleration rate of the passing truck causes the pass to take over a mile, maybe as Dan said for the greater good the passee truck can lay off the gas a bit. We've all been there...a pass that takes over a mile (and we've all seen them longer than that) is silly.

While some long passes are truly innocent, in my heart of hearts I think most long passes that I've seen are diabolical in nature.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I had this discussion the other day with a passenger. What prompted it was a situation where I put my turn signal on for a lane change, took a look at the other lane, and went on over. The fellow in the other lane who started speeding up when I signaled resented the fact that I actually came over and he followed up with a flurry of hand gestures and no doubt spoken invective that I didn't hear. The passenger commented that he sure looked angry and I replied, "He has no right to be. I told him I was coming."

For the next ten minutes we had a discussion on driving etiquette and the proper use of the turn signal, with one question coming up. When you put your signal on, are you telling people that you are coming, or are you asking their permission to come over? I know there is a fine line between how that plays out on the road, but how do you see it? To me, when I put the blinker on, I am telling you what is about to happen, and it will happen with or without your blessing. I am not saying that I'd kind of like to come into that lane, but that I actually am coming into that lane and it's on you to prepare accordingly. I'm not going to blindly move over and hit someone, but I'm not going to sit there for a mile waiting on someone to let me over either. When there's a gap, I'm coming, and since you were warned in advance, any resentment you feel is unwarranted. How do you see it?
    Depends on the gap. If you change lanes and hit a car while doing so ..... who would be at fault? You would be.

That said, when someone signals near me ...... I make a gap for them and wave them over.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

With one exception! The secondary road before entering the highway is very busy in the afternoon, with folks getting out of work. I do not make a gap for cars who are trying to pass everyone and simply not wait in line.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I usually wait until there is a safe gap, turn my signal on, and then merge.

Driving in Southern California, if you turn your signal early on AND THEN look for an opening, there will never be one. Many drivers see the signal and speed up, as others have noted. It's d-bag terrotorialism ("I own all the stretch of road I can see with my eyes and may ever potentially want to occupy!").
    I agree with you. When I politely turn on my turning signal and then hear accelerating cars behind me, I think d-bag. Here I am, one of the few who actually signals a lane change beforehand and the people behind me use it as a device to keep me from moving into the left lane

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In that case (which is not most cases, I usually see trucks pass clean and quick) where the acceleration rate of the passing truck causes the pass to take over a mile, maybe as Dan said for the greater good the passee truck can lay off the gas a bit. We've all been there...a pass that takes over a mile (and we've all seen them longer than that) is silly.

While some long passes are truly innocent, in my heart of hearts I think most long passes that I've seen are diabolical in nature.
    The old "Rolling Roadblock."

I often drive I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus and what I find most frustrating is when you have more people in the left lane than in the right lane and no one can pass anyone.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The old "Rolling Roadblock."

I often drive I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus and what I find most frustrating is when you have more people in the left lane than in the right lane and no one can pass anyone.
    And then you get the guy in the right lane trying to zoom by the left laners....causing all those guys to bunch up trying to prevent him from slipping in.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Highways need more lanes. They weren't designed with the idea of nearly as many cars as we have on the roads now.

19. Likes:

marcshoe (10-07-2015)

Make America Stupid Again RFS62's Avatar

I think a lot of the truckers who end up in the left lane making a long, slow pass of another truck are just trying to keep their momentum going, usually up a hill. It costs a lot more in fuel to get back up to their cruising speed after having to slow down, especially going up a grade.

I understand it to a point and it usually doesn't bother me nearly as much as a car in the left lane going far below the "flow" speed.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    What is the deal with people speeding up to block lane changes anyway? I see it all the time.

I sound old here, but driving seems to be getting worse, and I think it really actually is (not just me aging) because of phones and distractions. I drove 15 minutes yesterday and saw 4 near accidents. I need to get a dash cam.
    Cars are also more densely packed on the highway. The rate of increase in the number of cars has outpaced the increase in highway lanes.

Turn Off Ads?