Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Re: Turn signal: asking permission or issuing a warning?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I do see the behavior where someone is dawdling along and opens a gap, I see it and out on my signal to go before I actually do it, they see the blinker and go all Indy 500 and speed up to close that door. Heavens knows, they may get one car behind in the game of life! But I don't intimidate easily and I just go and activate my imaginary rear-facing machine guns and reduce them to a bloody pulp.
    I can actually understand both sides of this. I don't like to tailgate. It's stressful, so I leave more space than average between me and the car in front of me in rush hour traffic. I do NOT travel slower than the car in front of me, it's just some extra space for my personal comfort. And we're talking about maybe 10-15 extra feet, not 10 car lengths. That extra space is not an invitation for people move in.

I also understand your side. You're in a hurry. It's possible that my driving style can prevent you from being able to weave in and out of traffic to get ahead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Agree with most here. It's kind of a jerk move to cut off a gap that someone could have used to change lanes, unless you're dispensing deserved justice. But legally, signaling your intent to change lanes does not give you right of way to the other lane. Most people would rather not get in a wreck just to argue the point, thus, barging in usually works. Especially if there's a big difference in vehicle size.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've learned to love US routes that run along the basic paths of the interstates.
    Me too. If we hit a traffic snarl and it shows no signs of letting up by the next exit, if we can dodge without getting too far out of the way, we almost always do. Whether or not it saves any time in the long run, who knows -- it just feels better to keep moving.

Besides, I recall Charles Kuralt's old saying: If America interests you, stay off the interstates.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I can actually understand both sides of this. I don't like to tailgate. It's stressful, so I leave more space than average between me and the car in front of me in rush hour traffic. I do NOT travel slower than the car in front of me, it's just some extra space for my personal comfort. And we're talking about maybe 10-15 extra feet, not 10 car lengths. That extra space is not an invitation for people move in.

I also understand your side. You're in a hurry. It's possible that my driving style can prevent you from being able to weave in and out of traffic to get ahead.
    I get your point. If someone is to my left and they are going faster than me, I let them go. And if it's a long parade, go on, I'll wait. I gave up competitive traffic driving in 1995.

But this is when they've been sitting off my left rear, the guy in front of me is slow, the gap is there, I look once, pause, twice, pause, he's still sitting there, so I go. I'm not a weaving driver but I also like to utilize lanes efficiently and get to where I want to do. Squatting in the left lane ain't that.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

I happened to come across this forum in the pursuit of the issue about using turn signals and did not realize until after I registered that this is for fans of Cincinnati Reds. However, my take on turn signals is that they can be considered to be traffic control devices such as any other signals used on the roads and highways. As for whether they are showing intent or asking permission, they are clearly showing intent. No one else on the road could possibly know why that driver is displaying a turn signal therefore they cannot be in the position of granting permission for the driver to make the maneuver. Anyone coming upon a vehicle with and operating turn signal should promptly give way for that vehicle.

Drivers merging onto interstate highways and other limited access highways are supposed to yield the right of way and make the proper maneuvers to merge safely and without unduly obstructing the smooth flow of traffic.

Turnsignalzone.com must be one of the best message boards on the whole of the internet I would image.

8. Likes:

919191 (08-19-2017)

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Turnsignalzone.com must be one of the best message boards on the whole of the internet I would image.
    Old people stay on it all day.

10. Likes:

757690 (08-19-2017),BuckeyeRed27 (08-19-2017),Chip R (08-22-2017),dougdirt (08-18-2017)

Signaling to merge is, to me, a sign of intent. If someone signals, I have no problem backing off a bit to let them merge. No reason to risk life and limb to be one more car ahead of the game. When I signal, I check to see if the car next to me is thinking the same thing. If not, I don't care if I have to wait a car or two even if it is a jerk move for the driver in the other lane to speed up.

The bigger issue I have is when we hit interstate road construction that causes two lanes to merge into one during periods of heavy traffic. There are always a handful of people who simply will not get in the correct lane early and try to head straight to the front of the line to merge. Not cool. A lot of the time, drivers in the correct lane form half a wedge across the other lane to prevent the impatient from merging; while the rest of the line simply waves at them while passing by without letting them in and continuing the wedge. To the back of the line they go; which is where they should have been in the first place. It's pretty cool to see a good number of people all silently communicate a plan like that to each other in rush hour traffic.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Signaling to merge is, to me, a sign of intent. If someone signals, I have no problem backing off a bit to let them merge. No reason to risk life and limb to be one more car ahead of the game. When I signal, I check to see if the car next to me is thinking the same thing. If not, I don't care if I have to wait a car or two even if it is a jerk move for the driver in the other lane to speed up.

The bigger issue I have is when we hit interstate road construction that causes two lanes to merge into one during periods of heavy traffic. There are always a handful of people who simply will not get in the correct lane early and try to head straight to the front of the line to merge. Not cool. A lot of the time, drivers in the correct lane form half a wedge across the other lane to prevent the impatient from merging; while the rest of the line simply waves at them while passing by without letting them in and continuing the wedge. To the back of the line they go; which is where they should have been in the first place. It's pretty cool to see a good number of people all silently communicate a plan like that to each other in rush hour traffic.
    Both lanes should be used until the merge, but I've given up fighting this anywhere but online. You're incorrect, all the drivers that get mad about this are incorrect, it literally makes everyone take longer by merging earlier, and you're doing the opposite of what is intended:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

13. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-19-2017),Roy Tucker (08-19-2017),Sea Ray (08-19-2017),WrongVerb (08-18-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

I don't want anyone "backing off" when I'm about to merge. Don't block the flow of traffic or ever yield when you have the right of way. When you do, your actions become unpredictable and that's a great way to cause an accident.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Both lanes should be used until the merge, but I've given up fighting this anywhere but online. You're incorrect, all the drivers that get mad about this are incorrect, it literally makes everyone take longer by merging earlier, and you're doing the opposite of what is intended:

I've read into this and you are right.

But it requires everyone to be on the same page. Without a traffic signal there will always be one lane that is required to yield to the other. Throw humans into that and it doesn't work.

But yeah in theory if the 2 lanes fill up equally and everyone takes turns at the end it works best.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've read into this and you are right.

But it requires everyone to be on the same page. Without a traffic signal there will always be one lane that is required to yield to the other. Throw humans into that and it doesn't work.

But yeah in theory if the 2 lanes fill up equally and everyone takes turns at the end it works best.
    It totally doesn't work, I agree, and I wish I didn't know this because I just find myself annoyed a lot lol

The best is when I'm in the open lane, the other lane is bumper to bumper, nobody will let me in or yield an inch, and yet everyone just assumes I'm being a prick, even though:

1. nobody is letting me merge
    2. I'm doing the correct thing anyway

I've had it happen where some psycho swings out in front of me FOR JUSTICE like Steel up there.

People are almost uniformly idiots when it comes to driving. I include myself in that statement as I'm sure there are things I do that are stupid where I haven't learned better yet. If everyone would just drive defensively, pay attention, and not assume the worst of everyone else just because they are enclosed in a steel cage we'd all be so much better off.

Knowing the rules helps too, but I'm a pragmatist, so I get that's not happening. Self driving cars can't get here soon enough.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Interesting theory, but as kal mentioned, good luck getting multiple drivers from multiple states all on the same page. And for the particular stretch of road I'm talking about, there were no accidents and the traffic flowed just fine when merging early. I appreciate you posting the MN DOT link though. Knowing what Minnesota drivers are being taught is definitely beneficial as we see quite a few around here.

Speaking of Minnesota drivers, do you have a link to the MN DOT page that instructs all of them that the left lane is the "slow" lane?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I saw zipper merging on I-95 in Philadelphia a couple of years ago, and it was amazing. I'm not sure how they got drivers to actually do this, but it was the smoothest construction traffic I have ever seen, and it was heavy--rush hour in Philly. I'm on board.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-19-2017)

I live in MT and access my house off of I-90, but what's this traffic and merging you speak of?

Turn Off Ads?