I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

RichRed (10-12-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your favorite baseball books?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    ^ I forgot Luckiest Man. That is one of the best biographies of anyone, not just sports, I have read. Very well researched and thorough.

I read the Jane Leavy book on Koufax when it first came out. I didn't really think it was that great. I didn't think it was in depth enough. IIRC, Koufax didn't help any with this which may have hindered it some.
    You are one of the few reviews that didnt like the Koufax book. She also wrote a Mantle biography did you read that?

"A Hero's Life" about DiMaggio was pretty good. He was one strange cat.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Ball Four
    Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    You are one of the few reviews that didnt like the Koufax book. She also wrote a Mantle biography did you read that?

"A Hero's Life" about DiMaggio was pretty good. He was one strange cat.
    No I haven't read that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Ball Four

The Ken Griffey Sr. book was quite a bit better than expected, a good read.

Ball Four was my first baseball book. I keep The Heart of the Order in my cubicle. Any Abstract is good, and I still thumb through my Baseball Encyclopedia from about 20 years ago from time to time. I've read the Cobb and Ruth biographies. Ted Williams My Turn At Bat was great. I have about a dozen or so more books that for some reason, I have never read. Maybe I'll pick one out tonight.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

The Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract has already been mentioned, but I wanted to note that it is almost two different books, both great. The first edition was published in 1985 in hardcover with a paperback boasting of 20% new material published three years later. The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract was then published in 2001, with its cover boasting that it was "completely revised." All versions were great, but just as some new material was later added a few things in the first version were later left out.
    James of course covers the debates about greatest players and greatest teams, and no one does that better, but what I really loved about the books is how he covered, well, just about everything else. As he put it in the first edition:
    "Somewhere in there I went plumb crazy, and I began to believe that baseball history was as much a history of Carl Reynoldses and Bob Cervs and Boss Schmidts as it was a history of Ted Williamses and Tris Speakers and Duke Sniders." As a result he covered how nicknames changed, what players did for a living after they retired, the handsomest and ugliest players, baseball feuds big and small, how ballparks changed, uniforms, really just everything that makes the game so much fun.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Haunted by walks

The Heart of the Order
    The Cincinnati Game
    Opening Day

A few other baseball books I love includes a bunch of books about the Big Red Machine. I have the original editions of "Charlie Hustle," the diary Pete Rose kept during the 1974 season which Bob Hertzel helped turn into a book, and "The Main Spark" which Sparky Anderson and Si Burick wrote, and I enjoyed each, but my hands down two favorite books about the BRM are Greg Rhodes and John Erardi's "Big Red Dynasty" and Joe Posnanaki's "The Machine."
    The best book on Rose is Kostya Kennedy's "Pete Rose: An American Dilemma."
    "My Turn At Bat" by Ted Williams and John Underwood is terrific, and Ed Linn's "Hitter" is another good biography of Teddy Ballgame.
    Jane Leavy's "Sandy Koufax," already mentioned in this thread, is very good, as is Edward Gruver's "Koufax."
    David Halberstam sometimes got his facts wrong, but both "Summer of '49" about the Yankees-Red Sox pennant race, and "October 1964" about the Cardinals-Yankees World Series, are good reads, well written. His short book, "The Teammates" is poignant.
    Roger Kahn's "The Boys of Summer" is magnificent.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I love reading about Casey Stengel. Probably my favorite is "Now Wait a Minute, Casey! (The Up-To-Date History of Baseball's Incredible Mets)" by Maury Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I love reading about Casey Stengel. Probably my favorite is "Now Wait a Minute, Casey! (The Up-To-Date History of Baseball's Incredible Mets)" by Maury Allen
    The recent one by Steve Goldman is my fave

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The recent one by Steve Goldman is my fave
    Thanks! I hadn't heard of it. I'll definitely check it out.

FB has a good site simply called Baseball Books. I have seen a few of us on there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

"The Soul of Baseball" by Joe Posnanski.

18. Likes:

mbgrayson (11-27-2016)

Turn Off Ads?