Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite baseball books?

Re: Your favorite baseball books?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I have the complete set. I had most of them from my younger days, and completed it a few years back on Ebay.
    I'm pretty sure I do, too, and have for more than 50 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Don't Kill The Umpire: How Baseball Escaped Its Violent Past by Peter Morris is also very good

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have that book. Very thorough bio of Berg. From what I recall, Berg's spying may have been somewhat overstated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

George Anderson (10-06-2015)

Dont think anyone has mentioned this one yet: The Last Best League, about Cape Cod league.

Just finished Feinstein's Where No One Knows Your Name. It was ok.

A couple of winters ago, I read the Hirsch biography of Mays, followed by the Bryant biography of Aaron. It was fascinating to see one as the protagonist and the other as the antagonist, to then have the roles flipped in the other book.

One slightly obscure book that I enjoyed was Frank Deford's THE OLD BALLGAME. It is based on the lives of C. Mathewson and John McGraw, but it also discusses how baseball evolved into the national pass time due to the rise of the middle class after some the labor law reforms of the time that gave the middle class more days off(end of the 7 day work week and disposable income. It's short book but a good read. I think it may have been an expansion of one of Deford's long SI articles.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 10-11-2015 at 06:06 PM.

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2015),westofyou (10-11-2015)

Low and Outside: The Confessions of a Minor Leaguer by Jerry Kettle is an excellent book that came out in 1965 and first appeared in a condensed form in Sport magazine that year. I read the Sport version when I was 12-years old and found the book on ebay about four years ago. It is an interesting look at minor league baseball from the 1960s.

I also love Down to the Wire by Jeff Miller. It is the story of the American League 1967 American League pennant race. If you were alive and remember that race, it is a great read.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2015)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

"Over The Edge" by Jay Johnstone. Fave baseball book by my fave baseball personality.
    I heard your record..it's alright.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

A lot of good book recommendations mentioned in this podcast by Ben Lindbergh, Sam Miller, and guest, Andy McCollough:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=378199161

I loved Lords of the Realm and Dollar Sign on the Muscle (both mentioned) and enjoyed Prophet of the Sandlots.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 11-26-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

This is a good read for a Reds fan.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-28-2016)

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-30-2016)

FYI: The discount store Ollie's has a great selection of discounted baseball books plus other categories. http://www.ollies.us/home.html
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

19. Likes:

marcshoe (11-30-2016)

I still have my Chip Hilton books also! Never thought I see them mentioned here though! I got them at book fairs when I was in junior high and high school. in the late 70's/early 80's.

I loved Boys of Summer also.
    Why Time Begins on Opening Day was really good as well.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Here's one I read a year or two ago: Beyond the Shadow of the Senators by Brad Snyder ("The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays & the Integration of Baseball")
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    FYI: The discount store Ollie's has a great selection of discounted baseball books plus other categories. http://www.ollies.us/home.html
    My last foray into Ollies found it populated by people who didn't have the social skills to shop at Wal-Mart. We're talking blocking the aisle completely with an over-loaded cart while they walk over to another section or have a family reunion next to the keurig display. But I'm willing to give them another shot.

After Christmas.
    “It is quite possible--overwhelmingly probable, one might guess--that we will always learn more about human life and personality from novels than from scientific psychology” ― Noam Chomsky

“Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin.” -- Joyce Carol Oates

Turn Off Ads?