Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite baseball books?

Re: Your favorite baseball books?

Since WOY mentioned that it is baseball book reading season, I thought I'd bump this thread up so folks don't inundate the other thread.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Team-Mon.../dp/147677630X

Even though this book is a couple of years old, I think you will all find it interesting and relevant as it is about the 2015 Dodgers and what went on in LA prior to that.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

The Pine Tar Game (From which a movie has sprung) is one I delved into recently. It's a good retelling of the incident, although I think it could have been written and edited for better effect.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Before The Machine: The Story of the 1961 Pennant-Winning Reds by Mark J. Schmetzer

Found this in a B&N store about a week ago. Read it in a couple days. A well-written chronicle of the '61 Reds season. A must for true Reds fans.

Do or do not, there is no try.

6. Likes:

Chip R (11-02-2017),cumberlandreds (11-02-2017),RedsBaron (11-02-2017),RichRed (11-02-2017),Ron Madden (11-02-2017)

I like pretty much anything on the BRM. Josh Gibson story is really good. Glory of there times is excellent.
    I liked Eric Davis Born to play. According to Davis, Ray Knight held a grudge when he was manager from the Davis-Knight fight from years earlier.
    I just bought Cincinnati Red and Dogder Blue. Have not read it yet.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

As a photographer, this one is my favorite: Diamond Dreams - Thirty Years Through the Lens of Walter Iooss
    Name:  41ZP6GZQT9L.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  26.1 KB

Great coffee table book. Incredible photography from the 60's through the mid 90's from one of the best/most iconic sports photographers of all time.

9. Likes:

reds1869 (11-06-2017),redsmetz (11-08-2017),Roy Tucker (11-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by KefeCato View Post
    I just bought Cincinnati Red and Dogder Blue. Have not read it yet.
    I want to get that book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The author is a Mets fan. So it should be interesting look at the two clubs. I glanced at it a bit. Starts out on opening day 73 0r 74. Dodgers were playing in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I want to get that book.
    Me too. The Kindle version is $28. I am hoping and waiting for the price to fall a little.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Just finished The Cubs Way by Tom Verducci, which is about the building of and the winning of the WS by the 2016 Cubs. As much as I hate the team generally and the fans specifically, it's an excellent read - especially for a fan of a rebuilding team.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Just finished The Cubs Way by Tom Verducci, which is about the building of and the winning of the WS by the 2016 Cubs. As much as I hate the team generally and the fans specifically, it's an excellent read - especially for a fan of a rebuilding team.
    Forward by Thom Brennaman.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-16-2017)

A couple of recent ones I have read are:

John McGraw by Charles Alexander Excellent biography about one the early great mangers in MLB

Johnny Evers by Dennis Snelling I am just over half way through this one and its a very good biography about Evers. He was quite a character who had a lot of personal foibles but was able to make a fine career in MLB.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

Big Klu (11-16-2017)

Bumping this thread.

By NO means is this a good book, but I always had this vague recollection as a kid of reading a book about a guy who only hit foul balls until his final at bat when he hit a home run. The theory was he could foul any ball off. It started off behind home plate but as the season progresses they started going more straight till he was hitting them just right of the foul pole. In his final at bat it goes inside the pole for a homer.

Someone mentioned a similar book on twitter tonight, so I checked Google, and found my book. Written the year I was born.

The Kid Who Batted 1.000 (1951)
    The Kid Who Batted 1.000 is a 1951 book by Bob Allison and Frank Ernest Hill with illustrations by Paul Galdone.[1]

The concept is that the Chicks, a (fictional) last place team in the American League, discover Dave Smith, a teenage hick and aspiring chicken farmer in backcountry Oklahoma who is found to have the ability to hit any ball delivered by any major-league pitcher in the strike zone – but always foul. Eventually he receives four pitches out of the strike zone and draws a walk, every time at bat, thus leading the Chicks to the league championship (an on-base percentage of 1.000 would be the highest in major league history by a very large margin). In his final at bat, in the seventh game of the World Series, he hits a home run to win the game and series (thus achieving a lifetime batting average of 1/1, or 1.000, albeit in postseason play only). After the season, having earned enough money to set up a chicken farm, Smith does so and retires from baseball.[2][3]
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

19. Likes:

Cooper (06-15-2018),Crosley58 (06-16-2018),marcshoe (06-14-2018),Roy Tucker (06-15-2018)

This was in our classroom library in fourth grade or so. I mentioned it in a thread once, I don't know when or where.

I remember that the pitcher who befriends our young hero is named “Pretzels Lichtenberg”. That’s how my mind works; I can’t remember my zip code but I remember Pretzels Lichtenberg from a book I read fifty years ago...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?